What are some of your favorite horror films, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
I've never been a fan of "slasher" horror films, which tend to have WAY too much gratuitous violence and weak story lines. The only slasher film I think that was/is decent is the first Halloween film. It had some clever scenes and wasn't overly violent. I prefer horror films that make you THINK, have good story lines, AND scare the crap out of me. Some of my favorites include Rosemary's Baby, from 1968, that starred Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon. It's still my favorite horror film. The story, written by Ira Levin, is top notch, and Roman Polanski's direction is fantastic. Other favorites include Dawn of the Dead, Poltergeist, The Exorcist, The Shining, the one with Jack Nicholson, The Dead Zone, the movie version with Christopher Walken, although the TV series, with Anthony Michael Hall, is also quite good. Carrie, the original one with Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie, and also a couple comedic horror films, An American Werewolf in London, and Shaun of the Dead. I like how both films did a great job of combining horror with comedy. Also a couple newer "ghost" story films, The Sixth Sense and The Others. And I also like The Orphanage, which has a remarkable ending that actually makes me fear death less than I would have if I hadn't seen the film.

Rosemary's Baby was a funky horror show but not enough visuals. I watched all the Dr. Phibes as a kid. But not that gory. There is Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein..Absolutely Blair Witch was a bummer.
Probably Jaws was one of my fav. Not the sequelas though...

Not really a Horror fan. But on Halloween one of my kids and I like to watch the Frighteners.

I also have a love/ hate relationship with Carrie.

I actually have not seen very many because of how unrealistic they are, but out of what I have seen, my most favorite film is The Langoliers because I love actor Bronson Pinchot SO much!!! :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

"The Zero Boys"

Cheesy as hell b-movie from the 80's but it was the first one I saw where the main character's reaction to someone stalking/attacking them, was to pull out their guns and go looking for them to sort their shit out.
All the slasher type films that I had seen before that showed people screaming in terror and running aimlessly and stupidly trying to get away from whatever bad guy was after them. :rolleyes:
I'm watching this nonsense, while sitting in the room with me is a gun cabinet full of rifles and shotguns, plus several magnums and a 45 acp in the bottom drawer, and I'm wondering why they don't just shoot the motherfucker? In Texas, we hide up in trees so we can shoot living things just for fun, some asshole with a hatchet seemed like an easily solvable problem to me. Just saying.....

I've never been a fan of "slasher" horror films, which tend to have WAY too much gratuitous violence and weak story lines. The only slasher film I think that was/is decent is the first Halloween film. It had some clever scenes and wasn't overly violent. I prefer horror films that make you THINK, have good story lines, AND scare the crap out of me. Some of my favorites include Rosemary's Baby, from 1968, that starred Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon. It's still my favorite horror film. The story, written by Ira Levin, is top notch, and Roman Polanski's direction is fantastic. Other favorites include Dawn of the Dead, Poltergeist, The Exorcist, The Shining, the one with Jack Nicholson, The Dead Zone, the movie version with Christopher Walken, although the TV series, with Anthony Michael Hall, is also quite good. Carrie, the original one with Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie, and also a couple comedic horror films, An American Werewolf in London, and Shaun of the Dead. I like how both films did a great job of combining horror with comedy. Also a couple newer "ghost" story films, The Sixth Sense and The Others. And I also like The Orphanage, which has a remarkable ending that actually makes me fear death less than I would have if I hadn't seen the film.
The original Halloween is one of my favorites.

1597962376010.png

"The Zero Boys"

Cheesy as hell b-movie from the 80's but it was the first one I saw where the main character's reaction to someone stalking/attacking them, was to pull out their guns and go looking for them to sort their shit out.
All the slasher type films that I had seen before that showed people screaming in terror and running aimlessly and stupidly trying to get away from whatever bad guy was after them. :rolleyes:
I'm watching this nonsense, while sitting in the room with me is a gun cabinet full of rifles and shotguns, plus several magnums and a 45 acp in the bottom drawer, and I'm wondering why they don't just shoot the motherfucker? In Texas, we hide up in trees so we can shoot living things just for fun, some asshole with a hatchet seemed like an easily solvable problem to me. Just saying.....
I'll have to look into this one, I'm not familiar with it. Thanks for your post.

I actually have not seen very many because of how unrealistic they are, but out of what I have seen, my most favorite film is The Langoliers because I love actor Bronson Pinchot SO much!!! :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly
Thanks, Holly. I like The Langoliers, as well. I thought they did an excellent job with the Stephen King story. And Dean Stockwell is in it, as well, he's one of my favorite actors.

Forum List

Back