Your experience of God

I'm genuinely interested in how people experience God.

One can’t 'experience' something that doesn’t exist.

What’s being ‘experienced’ is a learned behavioral trait, passed down from generation to generation, dating back to when man first because aware of his own mortality.

What’s being ‘experienced’ is a learned behavioral trait, passed down from generation to generation, dating back to when man first because aware of his own mortality.

It is possible to have spiritual experiences. They have been recorded throughout history and in every major religious tradition.

It is possible to have spiritual experiences. They have been recorded throughout history and in every major religious tradition.

Well, where is the evidence? Recorded HOW? We have also a worldwide best-selling novel about a whale who talks. We have Moby Dick! Not real, of course, but milions of copies of the book sold.

Recorded?? How? Someone wrote down what they personally dreamed or imagined!!!

IF There is no "recording" of an event", there is someone's imagination being put to words!!

Geeze, would some of you people ever decide that evidence has to be "MEASUREABLE" to be verifiable? Or do you all just read everything you see in print and say that THAT is "PROOF"?

Please tell us what precisely is "been recorded throughout history and in every major religious tradition"????

Answer: NOT A DAMN THING we can see, observe, measure or compare. It's all just fairy tales.

Fairy Tales: have been " recorded throughout history and in every" society where parents tell their children fairy tales.

So WHAT??

No one is going to change the definition of evidence simply because you don't like the scope of it. If we were to apply your definition to the court of law, we would have countless criminals walking the street because all we have our eye witness accounts of what happened in most cases. Much like we do with God. We have people sharing their personal experiences with God.

The only reason I have any knowledge of God is because, by the Grace of God, He decided to reveal a portion of the Word to me. I could have read a thousand books, reasoned a million principles, but 5 minutes of revelation from the source, 5 minutes of personal experience with God and Heaven and all things good and virtuous will teach you more than them all.

I know by the power of the Holy Spirit that God is my Father and your Father. I know by the power of the Holy Spirit that Jesus is the Christ and that the scriptures are true. And there is no other way I could know. I also know that all are invited to come and learn for themselves. Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and it shall be opened unto you.

God teaches us all, whether we are aware of it or not. You learn faster if you are aware, but He is teaching us all. Preparing us for the next life. And He will teach us the truth of all things as quickly as we are ready for it. We all have a private tutor for life. It's pretty amazing when you realize it.

Your experience of God

My experience of Pluto, what it's like to be a worm, what it feels like on the sun, what it would be like to travel 1 billion billion years in space to get to the next planet with people who believe that there is a supreme being that put them there..

All of this: about 0, (zero), in the belief and experience areas.

You can tell when I reply to YOUR thread when I use the "quote" feature.:lol:

I rarely read many of the God Squad threads thoroughly. My reply was to the OP. The clue was using the title of the thread in my reply.

Self-deception, self-hypnosis, dream state, all natural occurrences. Proof that any of them have any validity or weight as convincing evidence for a mythical father/mother figure who makes anxiety go away, cures ills, finds keys, rights wrongs, or does anything tangible, observable, measurable: NONE!

I could say I had a headache yesterday, prayed to a god, and today I have none. No proof of any supreme being or creator. Just proof that I had chosen to believe that my mythological beliefs had some cause and effect relationship.

Ladies and gentlemen, PLEASE, try rational thinking for a few days. I know it is harder to do than belief in fantasies. I know SOME of you cannot weather the tormenting storms behind your needs to invent mythologies to comfort you, but when it comes down to it, there is more proof that there is NOT any "god" figure within the cosmos and universe than there is "proof" that there is. Subjective experiences of reality have been shown to be false on so many occasions: witness mis-identifications, (plenty of those to go around), belief the Earth was circled by the Sun, (plenty of thousands of years of that belief, all proved wrong), belief that the Earth was flat, (wrong again!), seeing distant water on a hot highway a mile or two ahead, only to get there and find the pavement dry as a bone. Our brains can easily trick us... optical illusions, auditory hallucinations, seeing ghosts when no one else does. It's all well documented as optical, auditory or other sensory hallucinations.

Religion: belief in having witnessed or "experienced" a god: just the same phenomena happening again in our lives.

ALL that the god experiencing people have is their "BELIEF" that they did, no solid, observable, measurable evidence, just some "BELIEF", no facts nor evidence, just their own self-reinforced, unproved "theories"!

You could have simply replied, "I've had none" or you could have just kept trolling along.
There was absolutely zero need for this response

In answer to the OP:

Awe

I am always in awe when I see His work.
Sometimes it makes me smile. Sometimes a laugh. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed to tears.
:cool:

You could have simply replied, "I've had none" or you could have just kept trolling along.

There was PLENTY of need for this response!!!

There is only self-delusion, not tangible proof.

If you want to censor the free thinking and free expression of people on this planet, perhaps this planet is not the right planet for you. If you want to stifle free speech and free expression, and suggest that ideas that do NOT agree with yours should NOT be expressed, perhaps the USA is NOT the nation you should be living in. May I suggest Communist Cuba: a place where you might feel better, knowing free speech is NOT permitted, and EVERY ONE must follow the Catholic faith, without question.

You seem to like every one to agree with you. Sorry, but this is the USA, and people have freedoms here, you seem to have missed that day in school.

Please take your brain back to first grade, it seemed to have missed out on all the lessons between there and adulthood, and seems incapable of absorbing science and the phenomenon of hallucinations in the human mind, taught about quite in detail for people capable of going to college and absorbing the scientific view of human fallacies in brain power.

If you don't like people posting here, if you don't like reading about the perceptual fallacies that are somehow classified by people like you as "God" experiences, perhaps you need to start over in getting an education, and throwing out your " God" hallucination fantasies.

I get really tired of people coming into a thread that is obviously not directed to them and taking it upon them self to instruct others on how they should think or feel about God.

The OP was a simple question: What is you experience with God?
If you don't have any, fine.
Where has anyone attacked or belittled a non-believer?
How is it you place to try to tell me, or anyone else, that their experience is less genuine than what you think it should be?

I haven't appointed you my spiritual adviser, and I'm willing to bet that no one else here has either

:eusa_hand:

I knew I'd find you here. You'll love Sky. She's also a mentally ill anti-Christian bigot.

As a member of the majority, I would think you would be the one who should be accomodating towards Christians. Using your own reasoning (which is juvenile) then you are the bigot, as you are the one who thinks the minority must accomodate the majority.

PS, there is a God. If you don't believe, one wonders why you're so threatened by the faith of others and feel compelled to try to force them away from faith and expression of their faith. I guess you don't appreciate diversity.

If 'it all' be an illusion it seems completely unwise to remove it. To 'educate' some individuals away from the comfort zones within their minds would most likely destroy a great deal of the systems that depend on 'us' retaining those comfort zones, our delusional fantasies. :eusa_whistle:

There was PLENTY of need for this response!!!

There is only self-delusion, not tangible proof.

If you want to censor the free thinking and free expression of people on this planet, perhaps this planet is not the right planet for you. If you want to stifle free speech and free expression, and suggest that ideas that do NOT agree with yours should NOT be expressed, perhaps the USA is NOT the nation you should be living in. May I suggest Communist Cuba: a place where you might feel better, knowing free speech is NOT permitted, and EVERY ONE must follow the Catholic faith, without question.

You seem to like every one to agree with you. Sorry, but this is the USA, and people have freedoms here, you seem to have missed that day in school.

Please take your brain back to first grade, it seemed to have missed out on all the lessons between there and adulthood, and seems incapable of absorbing science and the phenomenon of hallucinations in the human mind, taught about quite in detail for people capable of going to college and absorbing the scientific view of human fallacies in brain power.

If you don't like people posting here, if you don't like reading about the perceptual fallacies that are somehow classified by people like you as "God" experiences, perhaps you need to start over in getting an education, and throwing out your " God" hallucination fantasies.

I get really tired of people coming into a thread that is obviously not directed to them and taking it upon them self to instruct others on how they should think or feel about God.

The OP was a simple question: What is you experience with God?
If you don't have any, fine.
Where has anyone attacked or belittled a non-believer?
How is it you place to try to tell me, or anyone else, that their experience is less genuine than what you think it should be?

I haven't appointed you my spiritual adviser, and I'm willing to bet that no one else here has either

:eusa_hand:

Thank you for posting on this thread.

Well, where is the evidence? Recorded HOW? We have also a worldwide best-selling novel about a whale who talks. We have Moby Dick! Not real, of course, but milions of copies of the book sold.

IF There is no "recording" of an event", there is someone's imagination being put to words!!

Geeze, would some of you people ever decide that evidence has to be "MEASUREABLE" to be verifiable? Or do you all just read everything you see in print and say that THAT is "PROOF"?

Please tell us what precisely is "been recorded throughout history and in every major religious tradition"????

Answer: NOT A DAMN THING we can see, observe, measure or compare. It's all just fairy tales.

Fairy Tales: have been " recorded throughout history and in every" society where parents tell their children fairy tales.

So WHAT??

People have spiritual experiences that are tangible. Meditation effects are measurable by science.

So WHAT??

Science is not fairy tale. Meditation effects the brain and the body and the effects are measurable.

Meditation is spiritual experience.

Meditation is being studied now. It is measurable.

So WHAT??

People have spiritual experiences that are tangible. Meditation effects are measurable by science.

Only by junk science, and those who sell it in alternative medicine clinics. If you are getting ready to post the study done in Boston, dont forget to post up the part ware it says that it is as effective as prayer which was the main subject of the study . And meditation or the word meditation is about as abused as the word namaste by you fake Buddhist.

Some science is fairy tale.

You always have to start out with a theory, and often the theories are pure whack.

So WHAT??

Only by junk science, and those who sell it in alternative medicine clinics. If you are getting ready to post the study done in Boston, dont forget to post up the part ware it says that it is as effective as prayer which was the main subject of the study . And meditation or the word meditation is about as abused as the word namaste by you fake Buddhist.

It's hardly "junk science". The research on meditation is just beginning. BTW, "namaste" is a Hindu greeting, not a Buddhist one.

It's hardly "junk science". The research on meditation is just beginning. BTW, "namaste" is a Hindu greeting, not a Buddhist one.

You google fast indeed ! It is the greeting used by all you pseudo Buddhist in America. And as for the studies, the first one I heard of was done in 2006. here is the article.

By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: March 31, 2006

Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

The study was conducted by the mind body institute. The power of prayer, meditation, and positive thought is undeniable. That much is stated in the bible, and most likely the other religious texts. You should take a trip to the used book store and check them out instead of martyring your self on message boards.

You google fast indeed ! It is the greeting used by all you pseudo Buddhist in America. And as for the studies, the first one I heard of was done in 2006. here is the article.

By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: March 31, 2006

Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

The study was conducted by the mind body institute. The power of prayer, meditation, and positive thought is undeniable. That much is stated in the bible, and most likely the other religious texts. You should take a trip to the used book store and check them out instead of martyring your self on message boards.

Buddhists do not normally use "namaste", unless we are traveling in a Hindu country, where that is the customary greeting. Namaste is not a Buddhist greeting.

Nonetheless, it is a lovely one.

Forum List

Back