Your experience of God

It's hardly "junk science". The research on meditation is just beginning. BTW, "namaste" is a Hindu greeting, not a Buddhist one.

You google fast indeed ! It is the greeting used by all you pseudo Buddhist in America. And as for the studies, the first one I heard of was done in 2006. here is the article.

By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: March 31, 2006

Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

The study was conducted by the mind body institute. The power of prayer, meditation, and positive thought is undeniable. That much is stated in the bible, and most likely the other religious texts. You should take a trip to the used book store and check them out instead of martyring your self on message boards.

Buddhists do not normally use "namaste", unless we are traveling in a Hindu country, where that is the customary greeting. Namaste is not a Buddhist greeting.

Nonetheless, it is a lovely one.

Thats the point. In America, ware few real Buddhist exist, it is commonly used by them. They learn it in the one yoga class they go to usually consisting of 65 year old ladies who are scared of dieing. They also have the little all religion stickers on there cars. You are what folks call a "psuddhist". A fake, phoney. A real Buddhist does not have to post stupidity on a political message board to reaffirm there faith.

You google fast indeed ! It is the greeting used by all you pseudo Buddhist in America. And as for the studies, the first one I heard of was done in 2006. here is the article.

By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: March 31, 2006

Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found.

And patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications like abnormal heart rhythms, perhaps because of the expectations the prayers created, the researchers suggested.

The study was conducted by the mind body institute. The power of prayer, meditation, and positive thought is undeniable. That much is stated in the bible, and most likely the other religious texts. You should take a trip to the used book store and check them out instead of martyring your self on message boards.

Buddhists do not normally use "namaste", unless we are traveling in a Hindu country, where that is the customary greeting. Namaste is not a Buddhist greeting.

Thats the point. In America, ware few real Buddhist exist, it is commonly used by them. They learn it in the one yoga class they go to usually consisting of 65 year old ladies who are scared of dieing. They also have the little all religion stickers on there cars. You are what folks call a "psuddhist". A fake, phoney. A real Buddhist does not have to post stupidity on a political message board to reaffirm there faith.

I don't need to post anything on a message board to affirm my faith in Buddhism. I get to participate in the religion forum, stupid as that is.

Is your view that I have no right to?

I don't need to post anything on a message board to affirm my faith in Buddhism. I get to participate in the religion forum, stupid as that is.

You would like it to be wouldn't you ? Thats the only reason you post in the religion forum.

You would like it to be wouldn't you ? Thats the only reason you post in the religion forum.

It's interesting that you presume to know all the reasons I post in the religion forum. If you want to know some, or all of my reasons for posting here, just ask me.

If you'd rather make up your own answers to what you imagine I think, keep doing what you're doing.

It must have some value for you.

It's interesting that you presume to know all the reasons I post in the religion forum. If you want to know some, or all of my reasons for posting here, just ask me.

If you'd rather make up your own answers to what you imagine I think, keep doing what you're doing.

Anyone who would like to know only has to search your past post to see that you have a cycle of posting threads to draw a beating. You are a fake.

Anyone who would like to know only has to search your past post to see that you have a cycle of posting threads to draw a beating. You are a fake.

That's your interpretation of my posting history, not mine. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with it. We can agree to disagree.

What is your experience of God?

Last edited:

That's your interpretation of my posting history, not mine. You're entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with it. We can agree to disagree.

The knowledge that I am not dead after years of trying hard to die. I burnt my candle at both ends, I stood on the golf coursed God and dared him to strike me dead, I have snorted and shot up mounds of cocaine, started fights, drove cars into trees. I attempted murder on more then one occasion, and all my plans have come to naught. All this is stupidity to normal people as it should be. I have value to God if not any one on this planet. I also know hell is not the pit of fire and brimstone you psuddhist make fun of. Hell is separation from God. I have a mission, be it digging wells in Nigeria, teaching kids archery in my churches youth ministry, or washing dishes after 4th of July bar-b-q's. I am rock solid in my faith, and have nothing to prove to anyone. I dont have to ask how a person see God, because I dont need to know. I have things to do, and I do them.

The knowledge that I am not dead after years of trying hard to die. I burnt my candle at both ends, I stood on the golf coursed God and dared him to strike me dead, I have snorted and shot up mounds of cocaine, started fights, drove cars into trees. I attempted murder on more then one occasion, and all my plans have come to naught. All this is stupidity to normal people as it should be. I have value to God if not any one on this planet. I also know hell is not the pit of fire and brimstone you psuddhist make fun of. Hell is separation from God. I have a mission, be it digging wells in Nigeria, teaching kids archery in my churches youth ministry, or washing dishes after 4th of July bar-b-q's. I am rock solid in my faith, and have nothing to prove to anyone. I dont have to ask how a person see God, because I dont need to know. I have things to do, and I do them.

I, for one, am grateful your life has been spared by the Grace of God. It truly is humbling to realize that he does care for us as individuals, isn't it? There are so many people in the world, and yet this all powerful Creator knows me individually. He knows you individually. He even know those who don't know him individually. And He is enticing all of us to come to Him to be healed of our faults and injuries, both physical and spiritual.

I just want you to know that God isn't the only one who you have value to brother.

I, for one, am grateful your life has been spared by the Grace of God. It truly is humbling to realize that he does care for us as individuals, isn't it? There are so many people in the world, and yet this all powerful Creator knows me individually. He knows you individually. He even know those who don't know him individually. And He is enticing all of us to come to Him to be healed of our faults and injuries, both physical and spiritual.

I just want you to know that God isn't the only one who you have value to brother.

Nope. I have a step Son That I raised since he was two, and his Mother who I took beatings to be with, as well as two more kids who have become great teen. All have seen the worst people are capable of because of how I and the other Men in my family tend to behave. They give me value on earth, and make me want to try harder.

Good for you.

I still remember the definition of God I was taught in cathecism. "God is the supreme being who made all things."

Now that I'm no longer a Christian, I can still relate to that early teaching, but in a much different way. I no longer think of God as a Creator, or a superhuman. I no longer use the term God, I use the terms; Buddha nature, Presence,
Timeless Awareness Suchness, That which cannot be imagined or described, etc etc.

Now when I think of the definition of God I learned in catechism it is informed by my experince of what "being" itself means. To me, "being" is a state of presence that is uncontrived and natural. There is an absence of conceptual commenting, there is an experience of spaciousness, and oneness. The heart is open. The mind is open. From this place, all else arises. Thoughts, feelings, sensations, come and go. There is a sense of self in presence, but not of ordinary mind.

Another teaching I remember from the Bible, is "Be Still and Know that I Am God." I don't relate to the term, "God", because it has too much baggage with it. I do relate to "being still and knowing what I would call, "Presence", or Buddha nature.

An example, is when some disturbing mental state arises, such as anger. Presence turns toward anger, without judgment. Without telling it, that it has no place within my being. Presence accepts anger and compassion and wisdom equally, not placing one over the other. When my anger is attended to by Presence, it feels satisfied and subsides on it's own. What I would call, Presence, others might call God.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Dear Sky: When people ask me where Buddhism is in the Bible, I cite that passage "Be Still and Know that I am God" as well as the Proverbs about following the voice of "Wisdom" which benefits us in life.

What is different about me, is I have no problem switching from one context or language to another in talking about God. Since God is infinite and manifests as different attributes and perspectives to people, any of these angles or paths helps to understand part of God's greater truth, that is greater than all of our perceptions combined.

I see religions as different languages for God's laws, both natural laws and divine laws, secular or religious, even nontheistic terms and principles for the relationship between the individual experience and the whole, whatever you call that level, spiritual or social.

I think Buddhism is one of the best approaches to understanding God in letting go of attachments to preconceived notions biases and preferences.

In terms of reconciliation and forgiveness in relation to others, in order to establish common truth peace and justice, I believe Christianity is more proactive in teaching how to rebuild broken relations by applying restorative justice and receiving healing grace and peace more fully in life by removing obstacles or divisions reinforced by "unforgiveness."

I tend to borrow from both Buddhist and Christian traditions, especially depending on which people or situation I am working with.

The best part about being "detached" from religion is being able to work with anyone from any perspective, and finding points of agreement where we can build together. That to me is investing in the people, the Sangha or Church body, and establishing the "Kingdom of God" or heavenly peace on earth.

In THAT environment, then whatever people know or seek of God's truth can be revealed and shared so that everyone benefits, no matter what language or system we use. All are necessary and contribute to the collective knowledge that represents what God is.

I still remember the definition of God I was taught in cathecism. "God is the supreme being who made all things."

Now that I'm no longer a Christian, I can still relate to that early teaching, but in a much different way. I no longer think of God as a Creator, or a superhuman. I no longer use the term God, I use the terms; Buddha nature, Presence,
Timeless Awareness Suchness, That which cannot be imagined or described, etc etc.

Now when I think of the definition of God I learned in catechism it is informed by my experince of what "being" itself means. To me, "being" is a state of presence that is uncontrived and natural. There is an absence of conceptual commenting, there is an experience of spaciousness, and oneness. The heart is open. The mind is open. From this place, all else arises. Thoughts, feelings, sensations, come and go. There is a sense of self in presence, but not of ordinary mind.

Another teaching I remember from the Bible, is "Be Still and Know that I Am God." I don't relate to the term, "God", because it has too much baggage with it. I do relate to "being still and knowing what I would call, "Presence", or Buddha nature.

An example, is when some disturbing mental state arises, such as anger. Presence turns toward anger, without judgment. Without telling it, that it has no place within my being. Presence accepts anger and compassion and wisdom equally, not placing one over the other. When my anger is attended to by Presence, it feels satisfied and subsides on it's own. What I would call, Presence, others might call God.

Dear Sky: When people ask me where Buddhism is in the Bible, I cite that passage "Be Still and Know that I am God" as well as the Proverbs about following the voice of "Wisdom" which benefits us in life.

What is different about me, is I have no problem switching from one context or language to another in talking about God. Since God is infinite and manifests as different attributes and perspectives to people, any of these angles or paths helps to understand part of God's greater truth, that is greater than all of our perceptions combined.

I see religions as different languages for God's laws, both natural laws and divine laws, secular or religious, even nontheistic terms and principles for the relationship between the individual experience and the whole, whatever you call that level, spiritual or social.

I think Buddhism is one of the best approaches to understanding God in letting go of attachments to preconceived notions biases and preferences.

In terms of reconciliation and forgiveness in relation to others, in order to establish common truth peace and justice, I believe Christianity is more proactive in teaching how to rebuild broken relations by applying restorative justice and receiving healing grace and peace more fully in life by removing obstacles or divisions reinforced by "unforgiveness."

I tend to borrow from both Buddhist and Christian traditions, especially depending on which people or situation I am working with.

The best part about being "detached" from religion is being able to work with anyone from any perspective, and finding points of agreement where we can build together. That to me is investing in the people, the Sangha or Church body, and establishing the "Kingdom of God" or heavenly peace on earth.

In THAT environment, then whatever people know or seek of God's truth can be revealed and shared so that everyone benefits, no matter what language or system we use. All are necessary and contribute to the collective knowledge that represents what God is.

You have your own unique spiritual path, one that includes Buddhist teachings and Christian teachings.

Being completely free of any religious tradition has it's advantages. Language limits us.

i believe in a God. I cannot say which one is a "true God", but I was raised Christian, so I identify with the God of Christianity and Christ's teachings. Muslims were raised in Islam, so they identify with Islam.

here's a novel idea... maybe none of them are wrong. Maybe God is Allah is Vishnu is Buddha, etc.

I don't know that this is the case, but I' hope that it is and that the hatred, judgmentalism, violence and radicalism is a result of people not obeying their faith rather than the faith itself.

My personal experiences.... not much as far as big things... a lot of little things. The beauty of a clear dry day when the Clouds are so white and the sky is so blue. The beauty of the Stars at night when you are away from the city lights. The simplicity of telling another that you love them and that love being returned to you in kind.

oh wait... I do remember one thing. When I was 17, I had a fast car and I drove it fast. I was coming down a steep hill that had a 90 degree turn at the bottom of it. every time i tried to hit the brakes, my wheels would lock up and I ended up hitting that 90 degree turn at about 55 mph. I turned the wheel hard and the car hopped one time and we were on the road. That, IMO was god's intervention. there was no way I should have made that turn.

When I was a believer, the world was a nice, loving place, I was still young and naive then. That illusion was shattered by some tragic events, and for years I was incapable of seeing anything but ugliness and cruelty in this world. I believed in a god, and that god was loving, that god had a plan, that god could heal all wounds, and make everything right. When he didn't in my time of need, I told myself that it was just a part of the plan. In a time of loss, he was absent, and I told myself it was my fault for not believing hard enough. In my witness of the evil of this world, I knew only loneliness, and didn't speak a word. When nothing in my world was left, neither was he.

When I was a believer, the world was a nice, loving place, I was still young and naive then. That illusion was shattered by some tragic events, and for years I was incapable of seeing anything but ugliness and cruelty in this world. I believed in a god, and that god was loving, that god had a plan, that god could heal all wounds, and make everything right. When he didn't in my time of need, I told myself that it was just a part of the plan. In a time of loss, he was absent, and I told myself it was my fault for not believing hard enough. In my witness of the evil of this world, I knew only loneliness, and didn't speak a word. When nothing in my world was left, neither was he.

That's so sad. What you describe is not unlike what could be called the "dark night of the soul".

Sometimes, what comes through bearing a time of tragedy and loss like that, is a renewed sense of spiritual healing. It can be a deepening, and a fallling away of concepts of God. Concepts of God are not God. The God I refer to here, is the sense of Presence, or awareness that cannot be described in words.

sky

I view the spiritual in a different light. The soul bears scars as well, it's healed, but lessons have been learned, and my faith is dead.

I felt pretty let down by Christianity. When my father died, I really spent time looking for a new path of spiritual practice.

I'd love to hear more about your process.

What would you like to know?

You say you "view the spiritual in a different light". How so?

How I feel now, is that if I knew what the consequences in my life for taking up meditation long term would be, I may never have started.

You say you "view the spiritual in a different light". How so?
I view the spirit and soul simply as the essence of life, it's the thing that makes us more than just biomechanical objects. It's our personality, our talents, our traits, those things we're born with that make us what we are beyond the flesh and neurons. Even some animals and plants, I believe, have it. I don't believe it's magical, I don't believe there's anything inherently special about it, it's just a component of a living thing.

How I feed my spirit, my soul, is walking in the wilderness. I don't meditate. or practice any kind of ritual, I just walk. It makes me happy on the inside, gives me an overall satisfying peace. Maybe I do see it in a similar light, I don't know, I don't view it in the same light as the Abrahamic faiths, which is probably what I meant. I was drunk when I wrote that, my bad.

How I feel now, is that if I knew what the consequences in my life for taking up meditation long term would be, I may never have started.
Never heard of someone finding doubt in meditation. Please elaborate why you feel this way.

Forum List

Back