Mystics and Saints

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    There are mystics and saints in many different religious and spiritual traditions. When I was a child, being raised as a Catholic, I read the lives of the saints. Now my ideas of what sainthood is, and who is a mystic have expanded.

I thought we could discuss which saints or mystics inspire us the most. Here is my beginning list:

Francis of Assissi
    Hildengard of Bingen
    Gandhi
    Jesus of Nazareth
    Rumi
    Hafiz
    Kabir
    Anandamayima
    Padmasambhava
    Prince Siddhartha
    Milarepa
    Angulimala
    Shantideva
    Anthony DeMello
    Lao Tsu

Tell us who inspires you and why. I have reasons for each of these that I've listed. More will come to me.

Let's have fun with this.

2. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    First of all, i follow no saints or mystics...and i don't believe Jesus should be on your list. He is the Son of God, not a saint. And Jesus is the ONLY one that inspires me. This is what is wrong with catholics. They pray to the saints (and mystics??) for intercession. The Bible PLAINLY states we're to pray to NOBODY but God, through His son Jesus Christ. That doesn't include praying to Mary or any of the so called saints. To me that's the same as idol worship.

3. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Thank you for your opinion. Jesus is on my list because I consider him a bodhisattva, not God. I don't believe in God or follow bible teachings.

A bodhisattva is a highly realized saint or master of spiritual realization and attainment Jesus performed 'miracles'. He was able to do so, IMO, because he had 'siddhis' or spiritual gifts.

Jesus is not alone in having such powers. Buddhist masters of awareness achieve a state called 'rainbow body', much like Jesus attained, where the body of flesh and blood dissolves into light. They are also capable of leaving footprints and handprints in rock, raising their body temperature, changing weather and other 'miracles', although we don't call them miracles.

I mean no disrespect to you personally. You are free to see Jesus as God. I do not.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    I believe that you would be fascinated by the life of Ghazali

Abu Hāmed Mohammad ibn Mohammad al-Ghazzālī (1058-1111) (Persian: ابو حامد محمد ابن محمد الغزالی), known as Algazel to the western medieval world, born and died in Tus, in the Khorasan province of Persia (modern day Iran) was a Persian [3] Muslim theologian, jurist, philosopher, and mystic.

Ghazali has sometimes been referred to by historians as the single most influential Muslim after the Islamic prophet Muhammad. [4] Besides his work that successfully changed the course of Islamic philosophy—the early Islamic Neoplatonism developed on the grounds of Hellenistic philosophy, for example, was so successfully refuted by Ghazali that it never recovered—he also brought the orthodox Islam of his time in close contact with Sufism. [4] The orthodox theologians still went their own way, and so did the mystics, but both developed a sense of mutual appreciation which ensured that no sweeping condemnation could be made by one for the practices of the other.

wikipedia.org

5. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Thanks. I've never heard of him. I do love Rumi and Hafiz.

I don't think I want to get into really technical Islam philosophy, is there anything you could recommend that would be simple?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    And what turned you from a Catholic to an atheist? Or do you believe in many Gods? The belief in mystics and saints does imply that you do believe in a higher power.

Saints are humans put on a pedestal by other humans. There is only one God and to worship or pray to any other being or image is idol worship and a sin. No one is sinless even the saints.

7. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    I was just recommending his life story not philosophy.

He was a child prodigy who quickly became known far and wide as a scholar.

Later through introspection he realized he had become arrogant.

So he left his wife and family for about a dozen years and wandered the earth as a quiet common man to clean stables and sweep floors.

It was during this period of self discovery that he became aware of the essence of of life.

And finally returning to teach on a much higher and esoteric level.

Yet write in the parlance of the common man.

Also his works were translated into Latin and read by the monks of the Christian church.

Much of which was incorporated into early Christian thought.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    My nomination for cannization leading to SAITHOOD is Tim Berners-Lee.

He invented the World Wide Web and HTML or hypertext markup language and GAVE IT AWAY TO MANKIND.

If that man doesn't get to heaven then God is a dick.

9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    What turned me from being a Catholic? It's a long story.

10. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    No disrespect taken..thank you. Because i have such a strong faith in God and Jesus, it's hard for me to understand how others can follows saints and mystics and whatever. I also do not mean any disrespect to you for what you believe, but i pray for many that feel this way because to me it's just not right :). This doesn't mean i think anyone that doesn't feel as i do is any less a good person as i try to be. However you feel about things, God still loves you just as he loves me.