CDZ You wanna stop gun violence?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by midcan5, Oct 5, 2017.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    I thought this powerful enough to have its own thread. Well said but complex.

“Mass shootings have become routine in the United States and speak to a society that relies on violence to feed the coffers of the merchants of death. Given the profits made by arms manufacturers, the defense industry, gun dealers and the lobbyists who represent them in Congress, it comes as no surprise that the culture of violence cannot be abstracted from either the culture of business or the corruption of politics. Violence runs through US society like an electric current offering instant pleasure from all cultural sources, whether it be the nightly news or a television series that glorifies serial killers.” Henry A. Giroux

"You want to stop the gun violence?

Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture.

Stop glorifying the military industrial complex with flyovers and salutes during sports spectacles.

Stop acting as if there is anything patriotic about military exercises and occupations that bomb hospitals and schools.

Stop treating guns and war as entertainment fodder in movies, music, video games, toys, amusement parks, reality TV and more....""

Mass Shootings: the Military-Entertainment Complex’s Culture of Violence Turns Deadly

'Fuck You, Guns'

America has become a killing field.

Eric wishes the NRA were around when he was.
    Banning AR-15's Doesn't Make Sense To Me

PS I constantly get alerts but rarely have time to review them all, over two thousand currently. If you think you can counter my threads or posts pm me. I do sometimes review threads. Thanks.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1stRambo

1stRambo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,201
    Yo, Sounds Like You Don`t Mind Living In A Dictatorship Country!!!!

"GTP"
    "BAD IDEA"
    DZSRU7M.gif

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,157
    IOW

Just say no.

4. Likkmee

Likkmee Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +530
    I want to teach people to shoot straight. Especially mud people. What is it with drive by'z N shit. If I fire 10 rounds 8 assholes are getting buried. These idiots shoot dozens of rounds and hit someone in the calf. THATS terrible !

5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,331
    Welp.. There goes Hollywood.. And toy soldiers. And the all volunteer military... Here's comes the draft, and FDR's tyrannical Media Review Committees and more kids tossed out of school for making a gun out of a Pop Tart..

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,490
    I made a gun out of a pop tart today, but it didn't work. I couldn't kill anyone with it. So I then ate the rest of the pop tart.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    The only remotely informed, and well thought out part of the entire post. Indeed likely the best, albeit incomplete, "solution" I've heard in some time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. task0778

task0778 Silver Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture. Might want to talk to Hollywood about about this.

Stop glorifying the military industrial complex with flyovers and salutes during sports spectacles. Flyovers and salutes are to them men and women who serve, and IMHO not just the military either. I include the police, fire, first responders, and everyone else who risks life and limb to help someone else in distress.

Stop acting as if there is anything patriotic about military exercises and occupations that bomb hospitals and schools. No one at all acts as though bombing a school or church or hospital is patriotic, that is an absurd thing to say.

Stop treating guns and war as entertainment fodder in movies, music, video games, toys, amusement parks, reality TV and more...." Again, Hollywood. Good luck with this.

Let me know if and when Mr Giroux ever comes up with something other than this purely political poppycock.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,897
    If you want to stop gun violence.....

--find a way to reduce single teenage mothers having multiple children with different fathers.

--when you catch a criminal using a gun for crime, lock them up for 30 years.

These two things will reduce our already falling gun crime rate.

10. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,528
    “Stop the worship of violence that permeates our culture.”

Correct.

The issue is the American propensity for violence, where American culture is uniquely violent, and where violence is sanctioned as a legitimate means of conflict resolution – having nothing to do with the availability of guns or the types of guns available, rendering the further regulation of firearms unwarranted and pointless.