You Might Be an American If....

GotZoom said:
I guess I'm good to go.

I'd like to see one more added though.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if:
You always make a point of thanking any military member you see for their service to our country.
Congrats! Here's your certificate, your replica declaration of independence, and your mini-American flag. Buffet's to the left, bathrooms down a floor and to the right. :salute:

Nice post, Cp. Those on the board who read your post might be interested in the following poem, wherein the poet states his own strong feelings about being an American. (Sorry I can't get it centered to look like poetry.)

I AM AN AMERICAN
By Elias Lieberman

I am an American. My father belongs to the Sons of the Revolution; my mother to the Colonial Dames. One of my ancestors pitched tea overboard in Boston Harbor; another stood his ground with Warren; another hungered with Washington at Valley Forge. My forefathers were America in the making: they spoke in her council halls; they died on her battle fields; they commanded her ships; they cleared her forests.

Dawns reddened and paled. Staunch hearts of mine beat fast at each new star in the Nation’s flag. Keen eyes of mine foresaw her greater glory: the sweep of her seas, the plenty of her plains, the man-hives in her billion-wired cities. Every drop of blood in me holds a heritage of patriotism. I am proud of my past. I am an AMERICAN.

I am an American. My father was an atom of dust, my mother a straw in the wind, to His Serene Majesty. One of my ancestors died in the mines of Siberia; another was crippled for life by twenty blows of the knout. Another was killed defending his home during the massacres. The history of my ancestors is a trail of blood to the palace gate of the Great White Czar.

But then the dream came—the dream of America. In the light of the Liberty Torch, the atom of dust became a man; and the straw in the wind became a woman for the first time. “See, said my father, pointing to the flag that fluttered near, “That flag of Stars and Stripes is yours; it is the emblem of the promised land. It means, my son, the hope of humanity.
Live for it—die for it!”

Under the open sky of my new country, I swore to do so; and every drop of blood in me will keep that vow. I am proud of my future. I am an AMERICAN

-Cp said:
It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."

You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."

You bow your head when someone prays.

You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have.

You've never burned an American flag.

You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

You'd give your last dollar to a friend.
Lessee, I don't do only one of those things. That's bowing my head. I've never been told to, so that's probably why.

Forum List

Back