Expressions of Femme Power - Selling Sex. Pole Lotta Fun

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Awesome. I greatly support the idea of women taking steps to improve rather than excuse their love-life.

SEATTLE - In-home parties are a long-standing way to bring people together to check out and buy new products. Tupperware took off with home selling parties in the 1940's.

But these days, the trend has taken a racy turn. From an apartment in Greenlake to a family home in Sammamish, we found women are discovering a new way to have fun - and make money.

They might share some wine or do some stretching. Whatever it takes to relax. You'll understand why, as Deb Schnipke starts the Greenlake party.

"Obviously we're going to be using our arms quite a bit while we're pole dancing," she says.

That's right, it's a pole dancing party.

And in Sammamish?

Melissa Mothershed opens the party by saying, "We have spa products, we have heighteners. We have lubricants. We have lots of toys. We have lots of good books."

These are two very different parties with very similar goals: Make women feel safe and secure while exploring their sensuality.

'Something I Never Thought I'd Be Doing'

The newest entry is the pole party. An instructor makes a house call with a stripper pole, music and the expertise to make pole dancing a fitness routine.

"It's something I never thought I'd be doing, obviously. Who grows up thinking they want to be a pole dancer?" laughs Schnipke.

She bought into the franchise "A Pole Lot of Fun" in January. She makes a few hundred dollars a party and sells poles, DVDs, and T-shirts on top of her party fee.

The reaction she gets tells her there's potential for this to become her full-time job.

"I think people do feel more empowered afterwards," she said. "They realize that this activity has been kind of taboo. And they realize suddenly I can do this. I can look really sexy doing this."

A Hit With Mothers

Melissa Mothershed already makes a good living as a consultant for a company called Pure Romance. She runs in home parties selling things that buzz, tingle and tempt.

She elicits laughter and surprise as she introduces products to women telling them things like, "You're going to put the flavors on different parts of your body. Make him hang out until he finds all the flavors."

And she takes home a great paycheck.

More + Video:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/43351.htm

4101avatar1252_9.gif

Forum List

Back