You Mean That Government Employees Can't Save Money&Have No Credit Line.Awe,This Is So Sad !!

Not everyone is you. There variables in every situation.

I don't know what variables there can be. I made sure I never had any children due to the expense. I knew I was going to be a blue-collar worker and just didn't need to be living check-to-check the rest of my life. It's not that I've been blessed somehow by not having a family, I made that choice many years ago.

Outside of a lottery ticket once a week, I don't gamble. I took my money and invested it. I don't do drugs, go anywhere on vacation, and my ten year old car has over 100,000 miles on it. Could I afford a new one? Of course, but the thought of being stuck paying for the thing the next three years scares the hell out of me.

It's called living within your means.
Yeah well take it on a speaking tour and see how well it does..Not everyone is you..

Correct, not everyone is me. But the point I'm making is everybody could be me. It's just a matter of what risks you took in life, what obligations you decided to get involved with, and nobody put you in that position. You made the choices on your own unless it involves some sort of hardship like the economy or medical problems.

Our oldest daughters babysit (a lot) half what they make goes into the bank without fail. They have quite the nest eggs built up and they're learning how to save
My youngest son has a job to earn straight A's in school and to be in advance classes with a high chance of 100% tuition for college. He'll have fifty years of work waiting for him when he graduates. No need to get into a hurry..

Our daughters are all Honor students and their dad and mom have made sure since the day they were born their college will be taken care of. They are also learning the value of work and saving. Part of their life lessons.

I could live several months without income. You have to have a nest egg these days in case anything goes wrong. Every responsible person should do just that.

I don't know what variables there can be. I made sure I never had any children due to the expense. I knew I was going to be a blue-collar worker and just didn't need to be living check-to-check the rest of my life. It's not that I've been blessed somehow by not having a family, I made that choice many years ago.

Outside of a lottery ticket once a week, I don't gamble. I took my money and invested it. I don't do drugs, go anywhere on vacation, and my ten year old car has over 100,000 miles on it. Could I afford a new one? Of course, but the thought of being stuck paying for the thing the next three years scares the hell out of me.

Yeah well take it on a speaking tour and see how well it does..Not everyone is you..

Correct, not everyone is me. But the point I'm making is everybody could be me. It's just a matter of what risks you took in life, what obligations you decided to get involved with, and nobody put you in that position. You made the choices on your own unless it involves some sort of hardship like the economy or medical problems.

Our oldest daughters babysit (a lot) half what they make goes into the bank without fail. They have quite the nest eggs built up and they're learning how to save

That's rare these days. More and more people don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. When I was younger, everybody saved. Today it seems like younger people waste a lot and spend a lot.

For instance my tenants downstairs from me. They leave their basement light burning 24/7. It's the middle of winter and they always leave their doors open. In our county, they have a program where they will send a company out and insulate your walls for free. They are very generous with the qualifications. Since none of my apartments have wall insulation, I gave at least seven tenants that information, and only one of them called about the program. They didn't qualify, but at least they tried. The others? Didn't bother to pick up the phone or send an email.

I don't understand it. I watch younger people in front of me at the store. They use their debit card for two dollar purchases. In most cases, they throw away the receipt before they even leave the store. Me? I keep all my receipts and put them in my wallet. When they become annoying, I take those receipts and deduct them from my checking account so I have an idea what I spent and how much I have in the account.

My youngest son has a job to earn straight A's in school and to be in advance classes with a high chance of 100% tuition for college. He'll have fifty years of work waiting for him when he graduates. No need to get into a hurry..

Our daughters are all Honor students and their dad and mom have made sure since the day they were born their college will be taken care of. They are also learning the value of work and saving. Part of their life lessons.
All the rest of my kids work and save they aren't missing out on anything..

I have 4 kids. All went to college. All doing quite well. They were taught all the pros and pitfalls of the working world.

That's rare these days. More and more people don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. When I was younger, everybody saved. Today it seems like younger people waste a lot and spend a lot.

For instance my tenants downstairs from me. They leave their basement light burning 24/7. It's the middle of winter and they always leave their doors open. In our county, they have a program where they will send a company out and insulate your walls for free. They are very generous with the qualifications. Since none of my apartments have wall insulation, I gave at least seven tenants that information, and only one of them called about the program. They didn't qualify, but at least they tried. The others? Didn't bother to pick up the phone or send an email.

I don't understand it. I watch younger people in front of me at the store. They use their debit card for two dollar purchases. In most cases, they throw away the receipt before they even leave the store. Me? I keep all my receipts and put them in my wallet. When they become annoying, I take those receipts and deduct them from my checking account so I have an idea what I spent and how much I have in the account.

I guess I was raised different. My parents taught me the value of a dollar and hard work pays off.

I decided before ours were born they wouldn't be saddled with student loan debt right out of the gate in life.

Debit cards send copies of receipts to email addresses now. I use electronic coupons and receipts are delivered electronically.I do all my banking and bill paying electronically through the internet..

so only the lowest paid employees are getting the shaft? including government restroom cleaners and burger chefs? thats it? but all those who make over 50,000 a year will keep their jobs, right? and this is a crisis?
If you live in an area where it is expensive to live it is, could you live without any income for over a month?

I could live several months without income. You have to have a nest egg these days in case anything goes wrong. Every responsible person should do just that.
you see, when we hear the term "Government Employee", we just assume those are positions of higher pay than the average American,,right? these people are doing so well,never have to worry about their financial status,always have a job,,etc,....well,,i guess not.

Several years ago our Governor (Kasich) went after government workers to break up the unions. In heated discussions, I did some research on government workers, city, state, federal. They don't make less in wages compared to the private sector, they make about the same. The huge benefit (and most costly) are the perks.
these workers should still know better to live within their means, and not buying new cars/expensive stuff from best buy that they really dont need, ive been there in the latter 90's, i learned my lesson, and by learning these things, my FICO score has remained between 740-780 for quite some time now

I don't tell anybody how to live. I think the more time passes by, the more people always feel they have a safety net of some sorts, namely government. We didn't have that when we were younger. Sure, we always had government programs, but they didn't pay enough to sustain living. Credit was much more difficult to get as well. They didn't send credit card applications to your dog. Today, they give just about anybody credit.

So we were forced into frugality and lived within our means. Savings accounts were the pride of your life. Today, I think it's more of a priority to live a comfortable life than it is to live a life without the extras in order to have backup money or money to invest. That's why we have so many Americans today (like government workers) living check to check.

To get a job as an electronics tech took me three weeks of interviews and tests...Then two weeks to get paid(partial week check). Job at McDonald's takes a week of interviews and two week to get paid(partial week check).

If you live in an area where it is expensive to live it is, could you live without any income for over a month?

you see, when we hear the term "Government Employee", we just assume those are positions of higher pay than the average American,,right? these people are doing so well,never have to worry about their financial status,always have a job,,etc,....well,,i guess not.

Several years ago our Governor (Kasich) went after government workers to break up the unions. In heated discussions, I did some research on government workers, city, state, federal. They don't make less in wages compared to the private sector, they make about the same. The huge benefit (and most costly) are the perks.
these workers should still know better to live within their means, and not buying new cars/expensive stuff from best buy that they really dont need, ive been there in the latter 90's, i learned my lesson, and by learning these things, my FICO score has remained between 740-780 for quite some time now

I don't tell anybody how to live. I think the more time passes by, the more people always feel they have a safety net of some sorts, namely government. We didn't have that when we were younger. Sure, we always had government programs, but they didn't pay enough to sustain living. Credit was much more difficult to get as well. They didn't send credit card applications to your dog. Today, they give just about anybody credit.

So we were forced into frugality and lived within our means. Savings accounts were the pride of your life. Today, I think it's more of a priority to live a comfortable life than it is to live a life without the extras in order to have backup money or money to invest. That's why we have so many Americans today (like government workers) living check to check.
In the 1970's we used the bank that the family used and credit was no problem..

Debit cards send copies of receipts to email addresses now. I use electronic coupons and receipts are delivered electronically.I do all my banking and bill paying electronically through the internet..

Yes, my bank does the same. But I keep paper trails of everything. In the past, I've caught mistakes by the bank or myself. I don't believe however that younger people do any of that. They throw their receipt in the garbage and only look at their balance when they get their statement.

Yes, my bank does the same. But I keep paper trails of everything. In the past, I've caught mistakes by the bank or myself. I don't believe however that younger people do any of that. They throw their receipt in the garbage and only look at their balance when they get their statement.
the laws they have now do not allow special treatment only what the debt to income ratio qualifies for loans.
I don't think you know what kids do since you have no way of knowing.

One of our daughters downloaded an app on her phone, supposedly free but they tried to charge her 2.99 a month on her card...she caught it. I was quite proud she did by checking her receipts and statement

She was mad too LOL.

One of our daughters downloaded an app on her phone, supposedly free but they tried to charge her 2.99 a month on her card...she caught it. I was quite proud she did by checking her receipts and statement

She was mad too LOL.
The credit card companies try to do that and claim it was an honest mistake..

Yep...I took over my dad's company after 15 years in the corporate arena. I found many upper level guys to be self absorbed average employee haters. I had enuff of that. I bought out my father and ran that until I was 63. I sold it off as none of my kids wanted it. Been retired since. I highly recommend retirement as soon as possible. There are no trophies for working the longest. No way to live...working in your twilight years.

In the 1970's we used the bank that the family used and credit was no problem..

Once you established credit......yes. But it was difficult to get credit in the first place. After I finally got a credit history and rating, I applied for a Discover card. My credit was good for as young as I was. They refused my application. So I never applied with them again. After a while, they started to send me solicitations. I sent the application back to them explaining how I was insulted they refused me years ago, and vowed never to use their credit services in the future, and I never have.

About 25 years ago, I decided to buy a home and learned that the family I was renting an apartment from was quietly selling out. So I talked to the landlord and we made a great deal. However in spite of my credit history, in spite of my savings and checking accounts, several banks refused to give me a loan. I finally found one bank willing to work out a deal, and even then, I had to have my father cosign me for the loans. I felt like a teenage kid and I was in my mid 30's.

I’ve always thought this was odd.

We routinely have government shutdowns, shouldn’t federal employees have saved up some money for when these occur.

When the government shuts down use your savings. When you get your back pay put the money you used from savings back. You’ll have a perpetual self insurance fund

Forum List

Back