You May Say You Don't Care......But......

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
Quite a few of our "moderate" nutters will claim that they couldn't care less about whether or not gay people can marry. However.....this claim is almost always accompanied by a concern that the LGBT community is overreaching and that the right to marry is a state decision.

This data suggests that the GOP needs a more dramatic shift in attitude if it is going to make an impact moving forward.

The GOP May Regret Its Lasting Battle Against Gay Marriage FiveThirtyEight

From your OP link:

A look at public opinion on same-sex marriage and what drives party affiliation suggests that Cruz, Walker and the other candidates on the right may be risking the party’s appeal in the general election. The Republican Party’s opposition to same-sex marriage is one of the top positions that may have kept voters from identifying with and potentially voting for the GOP.

Polling generally suggests that same-sex marriage is not a top issue for most voters. A February CNN/ORC survey found that just 17 percent of Americans said the issue of gay marriage would be “extremely important” in choosing a candidate to support for president — the lowest of any of nine issues tested.

But digging deeper provides a different perspective. Beyond the importance voters place upon it directly, gay marriage may have symbolic power because of the messages it sends to voters about the parties.

Here’s how to decode the numbers. Positive values mean that support for that issue predicts a greater likelihood of affiliating with the party. Support for gun rights, for example, is predictive of a greater likelihood of identifying as Republican. The larger the coefficient, the more influence the issue has. Negative values, conversely, predict less likelihood of supporting the party.

enten-datalab-gaymarriage.png

In the Republican column, the coefficient for gay marriage is large and negative, meaning that supporting it substantially reduces the likelihood that someone will identify as Republican. In fact, based on the regressions, the only variable more predictive of Republican identification is whether a person believes health care coverage is the government’s responsibility. Gay marriage is more important than classic “wedge issues” like guns or abortion in predicting whether someone identifies as a Republican.

Let’s be clear about what these results mean. What they say is that if I meet you at a picnic and you tell me that you support gay marriage, that gives me a lot of information about whether you’re a Republican — more than almost any other attitudinal question I might ask you.

Pretty decent regression.

The GOP has moved into minority status on SSM, immigration and Obamacare. It's that simple.

Obama: People must overcome religious convictions...
Libs:This data suggests that the GOP needs a more dramatic shift in attitude if it is going to make an impact moving forward.

It's not enough for the Liberal police if a republican says they don't really care if gay people marry.....
They need to embrace and show they love the gays by shouting from the rooftops I guess.

And

Republicans need to stop complaining about illegals coming into this country and killing us...
Republicans need to be more like Democrats or they will never win any elections....
Republicans need to show they love abortions as much as the Libs.....

Anything else comrade?

Quite a few of our "moderate" nutters will claim that they couldn't care less about whether or not gay people can marry. However.....this claim is almost always accompanied by a concern that the LGBT community is overreaching and that the right to marry is a state decision.

This data suggests that the GOP needs a more dramatic shift in attitude if it is going to make an impact moving forward.

You clowns can't anything go even when you win, can you?

From your OP link:

A look at public opinion on same-sex marriage and what drives party affiliation suggests that Cruz, Walker and the other candidates on the right may be risking the party’s appeal in the general election. The Republican Party’s opposition to same-sex marriage is one of the top positions that may have kept voters from identifying with and potentially voting for the GOP.

Polling generally suggests that same-sex marriage is not a top issue for most voters. A February CNN/ORC survey found that just 17 percent of Americans said the issue of gay marriage would be “extremely important” in choosing a candidate to support for president — the lowest of any of nine issues tested.

But digging deeper provides a different perspective. Beyond the importance voters place upon it directly, gay marriage may have symbolic power because of the messages it sends to voters about the parties.

Here’s how to decode the numbers. Positive values mean that support for that issue predicts a greater likelihood of affiliating with the party. Support for gun rights, for example, is predictive of a greater likelihood of identifying as Republican. The larger the coefficient, the more influence the issue has. Negative values, conversely, predict less likelihood of supporting the party.

enten-datalab-gaymarriage.png

In the Republican column, the coefficient for gay marriage is large and negative, meaning that supporting it substantially reduces the likelihood that someone will identify as Republican. In fact, based on the regressions, the only variable more predictive of Republican identification is whether a person believes health care coverage is the government’s responsibility. Gay marriage is more important than classic “wedge issues” like guns or abortion in predicting whether someone identifies as a Republican.

Let’s be clear about what these results mean. What they say is that if I meet you at a picnic and you tell me that you support gay marriage, that gives me a lot of information about whether you’re a Republican — more than almost any other attitudinal question I might ask you.

Pretty decent regression.

The GOP has moved into minority status on SSM, immigration and Obamacare. It's that simple.

Republicans do suck, and they just handed you your ass in the last election. What does that say about what people think about you?

The GOP, as a whole, needs to move on

The rest of the country has

Obama: People must overcome religious convictions. Libs:This data suggests that the GOP needs a more dramatic shift in attitude if it is going to make an impact moving forward.It's not enough for the Liberal police if a republican says they don't really care if gay people marry. They need to embrace and show they love the gays by shouting from the rooftops I guess. Republicans need to stop complaining about illegals coming into this country and killing us. Republicans need to be more like Democrats or they will never win any elections. Republicans need to show they love abortions as much as the Libs.
IMO, the Republicans need to pay attention, if they ever want to get over their presidential electile dysfunction.

Gee, and here I thought when I said "I don't care" it meant I don't care.
Well...I have seen the light!!
Thank God...oh shit...sorry...uh...thank goodness...for people like Luddly who care so much for me as to show me how I really feel!!

Gee, and here I thought when I said "I don't care" it meant I don't care.
Well...I have seen the light!!
Thank God...oh shit...sorry...uh...thank goodness...for people like Luddly who care so much for me as to show me how I really feel!!
I really care that my lack of care concerns those I don't give a shit about.

What I wonder is, does anybody here at USMB know any gays that have actually gotten married since this ruling?

Libs:This data suggests that the GOP needs a more dramatic shift in attitude if it is going to make an impact moving forward.

It's not enough for the Liberal police if a republican says they don't really care if gay people marry.....
They need to embrace and show they love the gays by shouting from the rooftops I guess.

And

Republicans need to stop complaining about illegals coming into this country and killing us...
Republicans need to be more like Democrats or they will never win any elections....

Anything else comrade?

Actually, all they need to do is to simply show tolerance instead of hatred. You do understand the difference, right?

And

Anything else comrade?

Actually, all they need to do is to simply show tolerance instead of hatred. You do understand the difference, right?
The GOP candidates were handed a gift

The issue of same sex marriage was decided for them. They can blame the court and move on

But will they? Or will they try to pass other punitive measures against gays?

Obama: People must overcome religious convictions. Libs:This data suggests that the GOP needs a more dramatic shift in attitude if it is going to make an impact moving forward.It's not enough for the Liberal police if a republican says they don't really care if gay people marry. They need to embrace and show they love the gays by shouting from the rooftops I guess. Republicans need to stop complaining about illegals coming into this country and killing us. Republicans need to be more like Democrats or they will never win any elections. Republicans need to show they love abortions as much as the Libs.
IMO, the Republicans need to pay attention, if they ever want to get over their presidential electile dysfunction.

Indeed. There is a reason why Florida has this geographic form...

14340d1150293057-hurricane-protection-jeb.gif

And

Anything else comrade?

Actually, I believe it is liberals that really do not understand the difference. Liberals are not tolerant of gays, blacks, or any other minority. And they especially are not tolerant of conflicting views.

Give it time. Democrats were angry with the Love ruling that allowed interracial marriage, once it was the law of the land they evolved. The same thing will happen with gay marriage and conservative. You already see this shift with young conservatives.

I personally supported gay marriage before it was cool.

Forum List

Back