You don't say...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your job and financial security depended on your agreement with the mainstream hypothesis...do you suppose that there is anything that anyone could provide for you that would make you go against that hypothesis? The instinct for self preservation is pretty strong...and science has shown us over and over how difficult it is to move past a consensus position and accept a new paradigm..that is one of the reasons science often stagnates for so long even when it is evident to anyone who looks the the present consensus is wrong...

You think the vast majority all over the world are misleading the public because they're scared of losing funding? Climate science is not going to lose its funding either way. What you're suggesting is ridiculous. These people don't even make a lot of money.

As it turns out, yes, they do.

Global Warming: Follow the Money | National Review
Mann is typical of pro-warming scientists who have taken millions from government agencies. The federal government ā€” which will gain unprecedented regulatory power if climate legislation is passed ā€” has funded scientific research to the tune of $32.5 billion since 1989, according the Science and Public Policy Institute. That is an amount that dwarfs research contributions from oil companies and utilities, which have historically funded both sides of the debate.

Mann, for example, has received some $6 million, mostly in government grants ā€” according to a study by The American Spectator ā€” including $500,000 in federal stimulus money while he was under investigation for his Climategate e-mails.
Follow the money, IPCC/AGW edition

No one in the world exercised more influence on the events leading up to the Copenhagen conference on global warming than Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the UNā€™s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and mastermind of its latest report in 2007.

Although Dr Pachauri is often presented as a scientist (he was even once described by the BBC as ā€œthe worldā€™s top climate scientistā€), as a former railway engineer with a PhD in economics he has no qualifications in climate science at all.

What has also almost entirely escaped attention, however, is how Dr Pachauri has established an astonishing worldwide portfolio of business interests with bodies which have been investing billions of dollars in organisations dependent on the IPCCā€™s policy recommendations.

These outfits include banks, oil and energy companies and investment funds heavily involved in ā€˜carbon tradingā€™ and ā€˜sustainable technologiesā€™, which together make up the fastest-growing commodity market in the world, estimated soon to be worth trillions of dollars a year.

Today, in addition to his role as chairman of the IPCC, Dr Pachauri occupies more than a score of such posts, acting as director or adviser to many of the bodies which play a leading role in what has become known as the international ā€˜climate industryā€™.

It is remarkable how only very recently has the staggering scale of Dr Pachauriā€™s links to so many of these concerns come to light, inevitably raising questions as to how the worldā€™s leading ā€˜climate officialā€™ can also be personally involved in so many organisations which stand to benefit from the IPCCā€™s recommendations.
There's Big Money in Global Warming Alarmism | The Stream

Weā€™re not done: we still have to add the dozens of Solyndra-type companies eager to sell the government products, to get ā€œgreenā€ subsidies or to support its global-warming agenda. Included in that list are oil companies. Oil companies?

Yes. Oil giants arenā€™t foolish. They want to benefit ā€” and also donā€™t want to suffer from ā€” the mania that surrounds all things climate change. Their activities are often mercenary: Oil companies will and do fund research that casts a bad light on coal, its main competitor, in hopes of lessening competition but also in expectation of securing peace with activist groups.

For instance, ExxonMobil recently pledged to give Stanford University ā€œup to $100 million in grant money over 10 years to support climate and energy research.ā€ As reported by the website No Tricks Zone:

Four big international companies, including the oil giant ExxonMobil, said yesterday that they would give Stanford University $225 million over 10 years for research on ways to meet growing energy needs without worsening global warming ā€¦ In 2000, Ford and Exxon Mobilā€™s global rival, BP, gave $20 million to Princeton to start a similar climate and energy research program ā€¦

Shell Oil since 1999 handed out $8.5 million in environmental grants. Like ExxonMobil, many grants flowed to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, but $1.2 million went to the Nature Conservancy; the remainder was spread to several different environmentally-minded groups.

According to The Washington Times British Petroleum regularly gave to several environmental groups, such as ā€œNature Conservancy, the World Wildlife Fund, the World Resources Institute, various branches of the Audubon Society, the Wildlife Habitat Council.ā€ Itā€™s important to understand that these groups accepted the money BP gave them. The Washington Post confirms the Nature Conservancy pocketed over ā€œ$10 million in cash and land contributions from BP and affiliated corporations.ā€

Joanne Nova has documented the massive amount of money pouring from government into the pockets of individuals and groups associated with the environment. ā€œThe U.S. government has provided over $79 billion since 1989 on policies related to climate change, including science and technology research, foreign aid, and tax breaks.ā€ $79 billion.​

No...I don't

So you think a worldwide science conspiracy is floating on no evidence?

No....I think that climate science is suffering from group think brought on by an error cascade...that is a very different thing from a conspiracy...and it has happened often in science...it isn't as if climate science were the only branch of science this would have happened to .

Do you think a worldwide consensus/group-think is floating on no evidence?

Lets see some actual evidence that supports the AGW hypothesis over natural variability that is not the product of computer models.

there is SCIENTIFIC AND MEASURABLE PROOF!

Yes, that's what caused the consensus. Scientists are in general agreement that the Earth revolves around the Sun. A general agreement is the definition of consensus.

I don't know what they think

I would bet you 100 grand that they believe AGW is happening.

...my hat is off to them for correcting the error and making the correction public...that is a rarity in climate science over the past 3 decades or so..

Every error and inconsistency you people constantly point to in an attempt to delegitimize climate scientists was uncovered and made public by climate scientists. Scientists want to prove what we think we know wrong. There is not a conspiracy. They'd all love to find significant evidence that proves the majority belief wrong.

That's your story...but the fact is that you don't know what the motivation was of the whistle blowing...

No...I don't

So you think a worldwide science conspiracy is floating on no evidence?

No....I think that climate science is suffering from group think brought on by an error cascade...that is a very different thing from a conspiracy...and it has happened often in science...it isn't as if climate science were the only branch of science this would have happened to .

Do you think a worldwide consensus/group-think is floating on no evidence?

Lets see some actual evidence that supports the AGW hypothesis over natural variability that is not the product of computer models.

Just say yes. That's what you believe.

there is SCIENTIFIC AND MEASURABLE PROOF!

Yes, that's what caused the consensus. Scientists are in general agreement that the Earth revolves around the Sun. A general agreement is the definition of consensus.

No it is not! Learn English and then come back when you have a basic idea of what you are talking about. A consensus is an agreement based on argument. MEASURABLE proof means ANYONE can measure and come to the same conclusion. It requires NO DISCUSSION!

What did science say a hundred years ago?

I didn't say scientists are never wrong. I said it's absurd to suggest the majority of the most educated minds on Earth have come to a similar conclusion based on no evidence.

It has happened over and over and over...how many examples would you like?

The world is as flat as your head! and it only gets hot on one side at a time and aliens landed in Roswell, and Elvis didn't die from a drug overdose, and Elizabeth Warren is an American Indian, and Bernie Sanders is an Idiot !Okay, that last one is true.

Science has not become partisan. It doesn't work that way. If there was bullshit floating it would be shot down and buried by other scientists. Scientists the world over are not implicated in a conspiracy to lie to the public. They actually believe this is happening based on what we're capable of understanding so far.

Of course it has...and does...how many congressional and senatorial hearings have been held over climate science? Care to point out how many congressional hearings have been held over the Higgs Bosun?...or the quark?

No it is not! Learn English and then come back when you have a basic idea of what you are talking about. A consensus is an agreement based on argument. MEASURABLE proof means ANYONE can measure and come to the same conclusion. It requires NO DISCUSSION!

AMxP5ro.png

I don't know what they think

I would bet you 100 grand that they believe AGW is happening.

...my hat is off to them for correcting the error and making the correction public...that is a rarity in climate science over the past 3 decades or so..

Every error and inconsistency you people constantly point to in an attempt to delegitimize climate scientists was uncovered and made public by climate scientists. Scientists want to prove what we think we know wrong. There is not a conspiracy. They'd all love to find significant evidence that proves the majority belief wrong.
That's why many are so skeptical. No one is denying AGW. The scope of manmade influence is in question. The catastrophic results of AGW are also in question. For those of us that respect science, these questions are not settled.Not even close.

Let me ask you a question. How is the average global temperature derived? Delve into it, it's pitiful. If you are a believer in the scientific method, you cannot accept this. You can't. The amount of "extrapolated" data is beyond the pale. Then we get into the predictions. Ice free arctic by 2000, 2004, 2008, 20013, 2014, 2018.....

Any reasonable person would stop and say, "wait a minute theses people are making shit up".

How am I different than anyone who a hundred years ago said the science is wrong?

I think skepticism is a good thing. I respect and listen to qualified skeptics that have something else to say. The problem is this has been turned into a partisan issue. You refuse to respect and listen to the opinions of qualified people that disagree with you.
And of course, what makes them qualified is their promotion of the groupthink.

Anyone who doesn't is, by definition, not qualified.

Tell me...how is it you don't believe it's a cult?

AMxP5ro.png

Yeah, now show me where consensus is described anywhere within the scientific method. GO!

If climate science is self-correcting, why does it rely on falsified data?

It doesn't. You just don't understand that our understanding of science evolves over time. There will always be corrections and revisions.
Funny how the corrections and revisions always make the past cooler, isn't it?

Yes, I'm sure it's just coincidence. Right?

If the climate scientists had been following the scientific method there would have been no need for a whistle-blower.

It's not whistle-blowing. Scientists sometimes make mistakes and other scientists revise their work.

It is when Democrats call anyone who questions it deniers and morons. As a famous community organizer once said, the science is settled. Or it was until it changed again.

Al Gore and other Democrats aren't scientists. I think their opinion is about as relevant as yours is.

And yet, they speak for climate science....as do high school dropouts like leonardo di caprio...and do you see any of the lions of climate science stepping up to correct the gross errors these spokespeople are making? Any at all?

we point out one of their errors

Who points out their errors? You? Or is it other climate scientists?

You don't seem to understand that climate science is a soft science...you don't need to be a resident of an ivory tower in order to be able to understand it...climate science doesn't get much more difficult than 2000 level physics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back