You couldn't Make Blazing Saddles today.

Again, did you watch the video? He did a very good job of pointing out how Brooks deconstructed the classic western.

Yes, I watched the video. Yes, Brooks did a good job of making a send-up of the western genre. But the movie was meant to be a rebuke of racism and its ignorance, among other things. At least according to Brooks, who says he wrote the movie out of anger at white corruption, racism, and Bible-thumping bigotry.

When Brooks asked Richard Pryor, one of the writers, if they were using the "N-word" too much... well, here:

“When I thought it was getting to be too much, Richard said, ‘No, we are writing a story of racial prejudice. That’s the word, the only word. It’s profound, it’s real, and the more we use it from the rednecks, the more the victory of the black sheriff will resonate.’

So, to say that the point of the movie was to "destroy the western genre" absolutely misses the point of the movie.

I enjoy Mel Brooks films, but there is a lot of very derogatory anti-wasp portrayals in Blazing Saddles.

Brooks helped open the floodgates for Liberal contempt for Wasp in movies and TV shows.

Nowadays It can be seen everyday in our entertainment.

Do you think that the Left would do that to any other ethnic group?

In effect Liberals are exactly what they claim to abhor, they are prejudice bigots.

Wasp are at the epicenter of Left Wing hate, and that is what really drives the Democratic Party.

That is your correlation? You’re old. Maybe it was tailored toward a younger crowd? LOL

You mean a crowd that just like Kewl Explosions? Most movies today are crap.

Mongo should have won an Oscar! Supposedly the Cleavon Little part was going to be offered to Richard Pryor.

yes, it was. Pryor actually helped with the writing, but he turned down the lead role.

I enjoy Mel Brooks films, but there is a lot of very derogatory anti-wasp portrayals in Blazing Saddles.

Brooks helped open the floodgates for Liberal contempt for Wasp in movies and TV shows.

In effect Liberals are exactly what they claim to abhor, they are prejudice bigots.

Wasp are at the epicenter of Left Wing hate, and that is what really drives the Democratic Party.

Has it occured to you that a lot of that is deserved?

the WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants) created a society where there was a social heirarchy of WASPs on the top, followed by Catholics/White immigrants, followed by non-white immigrants, with blacks and Native americans at the bottom.

The point that the video made, was that the western created a WASP mythology of virtue that Brooks blew to pieces by merely putting a black man in the role of the protagonist.

Hackman bribed the law. Typical in most Eastwood movies they take the law into their own hands. She kills him fairly in a duel. You’re such a dumbass it’s hilarious. Thankfully you didn’t reproduce and your dumbassery dies with you and soon since you’re old.

Wow, you actually thought that was a good movie... I kind of feel for you, they must have bullied you really bad when you were little. Poor baby.
like you havent had the same said to you in this same forum for some of the movies you said you liked?....come on joe...lol....

yes, it was. Pryor actually helped with the writing, but he turned down the lead role.

He couldn't be insured, so the studio didn't want him. Brooks threatened to quit, but Pryor talked him out of it. Brooks and Pryor handled the auditions that landed Little.

Pryor was supposed to play the Cleavon Little part, right?

Right. I almost quit the movie because the studio was scared of casting him. He was the original Black Bart. But Richard said, “Mel, don’t quit — I still have two more payments coming to me from the Screenwriters’ Guild, let’s make the movie. I have to get paid. We’ll find a good Black Bart, let’s just do this.” We saw about 20 different people before we saw Cleavon. The minute he read for us, Richard and I just said, “This is the guy.” He was so laid-back and took his time with the jokes.

Mel Brooks: Why 'Blazing Saddles' Is the 'Funniest Movie Ever Made'

like you havent had the same said to you in this same forum for some of the movies you said you liked?....come on joe...lol....

Um, yeah, but movies I like are actually good...
Gene Wilder as an actor was very manic. I always like Pryor better in the movies they were together. The movie he was the least manic and pretty straight was Willy Wonka. But the movie was manic. He did not know what to make of the movie. Today, to many it is a classic. And I believe better then the remake with Jonny Depp. But to each their own.

Again, did you watch the video? He did a very good job of pointing out how Brooks deconstructed the classic western.

Yes, I watched the video. Yes, Brooks did a good job of making a send-up of the western genre. But the movie was meant to be a rebuke of racism and its ignorance, among other things. At least according to Brooks, who says he wrote the movie out of anger at white corruption, racism, and Bible-thumping bigotry.

When Brooks asked Richard Pryor, one of the writers, if they were using the "N-word" too much... well, here:

“When I thought it was getting to be too much, Richard said, ‘No, we are writing a story of racial prejudice. That’s the word, the only word. It’s profound, it’s real, and the more we use it from the rednecks, the more the victory of the black sheriff will resonate.’

So, to say that the point of the movie was to "destroy the western genre" absolutely misses the point of the movie.

It's a deep resentment and acknowledgement of that fact that WASP culture could get by just fine if the assorted whiney loser minorities never existed at all, since they contributed pretty much nothing at all to society or culture, even their grunt labor wasn't anything special, easily replaced with any other 'minority' and Europeans as well. Their main function was as strike breakers for robber barons, the same class of gangsters and crime syndicates that pander to them today.

Here's the thing. Blazing Saddles didn't make fun of black people, they made fun of all the white racists and the white-washed conventions of the 1950's Western. (Most cowboys in the 19th century were black and hispanic, but you'd never know that from Hollywood.)
And that folks is how "Blazing Saddles" destroyed the talking points on political correctness,:abgg2q.jpg: by making everything about race...
It was a western comedy nothing more...the dissecting and retelling of "what it really meant" is PC doing what it always does, pitting minorities and whites against one another in every forum on every subject it can find while the PC crowd remain outside the fighting and infect institutions like hollywood...It isn't RW talking talking points that PC is destroying, it's our country...that's why it is so nice watching trump kick them in the teeth every day.

The lack of Westerns is not due to "Blazing Saddles". Science fiction films have supplanted Westerns in recent years. Same stories, plots - different environment.

AVATAR, among other things, is simply "Dances with Wolves" redone against whatever backdrop Cameron could steal from Dune.

Dune and Avatar are nothing alike.

but you kind of stumbled into a point. We stopped making lots of westerns... right after Blazing Saddles. Because if you made a classic western with the white hats/black hats, it would be laughed off the screen.

The reason why Blazing Saddles destroyed the western, but Spaceballs didn't destroy the SciFi movie, was because Saddles ripped the mask off our sanitized history.
He never said they were alike ya deflecting skank!

This was a really interesting video that blows up right wing talking points about "Political Correctness"

His point is not that you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today, but that you shouldn't make it today because it had already accomplished it's point, which was to destroy the Western as a genre.

Total bullshit. The point of the movie as attested to my Mel Brooks was to make fun of racism. You vermin NEVER stop tearing down shit with your lies!

And that folks is how "Blazing Saddles" destroyed the talking points on political correctness,by making everything about race...
It was a western comedy nothing more...the dissecting and retelling of "what it really meant" is PC doing what it always does, pitting minorities and whites against one another in every forum on every subject it can find while the PC crowd remain outside the fighting and infect institutions like hollywood...It isn't RW talking talking points that PC is destroying, it's our country...that's why it is so nice watching trump kick them in the teeth every day.

So Trump makes you more comfortable in your bigotry.

I remember Political Correctness under it's original title, being a decent human being, but I don't think you understand that concept.

Total bullshit. The point of the movie as attested to my Mel Brooks was to make fun of racism. You vermin NEVER stop tearing down shit with your lies!

Yes, it was making fun of racism. That wasn't the point of the Video, dummy.

The point was, you guys claim this couldn't be made today because of "Political Correctness", when in fact, it couldn't be made today because the thing it was mocking- the classic, family friendly western - no longer exists.

This/that makes my point perfectly...please cite the bigotry by me...[You got to the gist of your argument early today, thanks for not making me force it out of you]

I remember Political Correctness under it's original title, being a decent human being, but I don't think you understand that concept.
That just means you were born before the 60's

And that folks is how "Blazing Saddles" destroyed the talking points on political correctness,by making everything about race...

But you promote Trump as a racist. We don't believe you anymore.

This/that makes my point perfectly...please cite the bigotry by me...[You got to the gist of your argument early today, thanks for not making me force it out of you]

I love when the racists get called on their racism, and think it's your job to go back and scour all their past posts, and argue when they advocate shooting undocumented immigrants or something, they are totes not racist.

Forum List

Back