you can't make this stuff up. wtf?

But the CDC said on 4/5/2011 that the teen pregnancies are down.

You say they are up and I still laugh at you for it.

No, they said in 2007. They just repeated the data from 2007 in an interview in 2011.
'No' what? The CDC didn't say teen pregnancies are down?

And the Guttmacher link said they were up in 2006.

Your point is what?

The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.​

No, they didn't say in 2011. The actually "said" in 2007, and then just repeated that data in a 2011 interview.

And my edit also shows a Reuters article stating that the CDC said on 4/5/2011 that teen pregnancies are down. I've also posted the transcript of the CDC stating that. Out of their own words, teen pregnancies are down.

from what i've read, they only count teen pregnancies if they're carried to term.

i hope they're down overall. it's times like these that i'm glad my daughter is gay.
Out of the CDC's own mouth:

The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.

there's no hard data there-just guesses and extrapolations from old data.

i hope teen pregnancy is down overall, but there's nothing here to prove that the actual number of teen pregnancies, whether carried to term or not, is down.

No, they said in 2007. They just repeated the data from 2007 in an interview in 2011.

Your point is what?

The data that we have in Vital Signs around teen birth is for 2009. The CDC does have a report called the Abortion Surveillance Report that reports data from 2007 and from what we've seen over time there are declines in the rates of abortion for all age groups including teens. We've also noticed that there's a decline in the number of abortions to live births which implies a decrease in pregnancy rates overall. Again, we don't have specific information on miscarriage rates but overall pregnancy rates and abortion rates are declining. What we're seeing is long-term declines in both teen birth rates and teen abortion rates and therefore we're hopeful that teen pregnancy rates are coming down. We're also seeing declines in the percentage of high school students who are sexually active and we're seeing increases in the use of effective contraception among those high school students who are sexually active. So all of these trends point to very positive outcomes for our teens so we can be optimistic about the future. However, that 400,000 number is quite startling and we need to reenergize our efforts to bring that down.​

No, they didn't say in 2011. The actually "said" in 2007, and then just repeated that data in a 2011 interview.
Yes, they DID say that in 2011. That is the date of the press conference. I never said that they reported up to 2011. I can't help it if you think I said something else.

However, the CDC does need to update their reports on abortion so that we don't have to just take their word in April 2011 that they are still in decline.

For lack of anything else on abortion data since 2007 (when it was in decline according to the CDC), I will go with what the CDC said last week - that teen pregnancies are down.

Your point is what?

Yes, they DID say that in 2011. That is the date of the press conference. I never said that they reported up to 2011. I can't help it if you think I said something else.

However, the CDC does need to update their reports on abortion so that we don't have to just take their word in April 2011 that they are still in decline.

For lack of anything else on abortion data since 2007 (when it was in decline according to the CDC), I will go with what the CDC said last week - that teen pregnancies are down.

They said in 2011 that they were down in 2007.

And, that's not all they said.

Being deliberately obtuse doesn't suit you.

no, but that's the only meaningful thing they said, imo. the rest seemed to be wishful thinking.

Deliberately obtuse? :lol:

That is all they said as pertains to any hard data. The rest was hopey changey extrapolation based on trends. Which is fine, but the discussion was over actual data.

No goalpost move for you :)

no, but that's the only meaningful thing they said, imo. the rest seemed to be wishful thinking.
As I said before, in the absence of any other data on teen pregnancies up to 2011, I'll go with what the CDC says about them. If the CDC starts publishing their Abortion Surveillance reports again, I'll have something more on which to base my thoughts on the matter.

As this campaign is about being teen mothers, the data on teen births from the CDC seems to correlate well with increased awareness. Of course, correlation is not causation. If Candies wants to campaign against becoming a teen mother, I have no issue with it.

That is all they said as pertains to any hard data. The rest was hopey changey extrapolation based on trends. Which is fine, but the discussion was over actual data.

You're arguing with a strawman you created.

Yes, you are being deliberately obtuse or just like to argue with yourself.

Where's the strawman? I'm simply and correctly pointing out that the data was from 2007.

You don't get to make up new meanings for words when the goalpost move fails.

Where's the strawman? I'm simply and correctly pointing out that the data was from 2007.

Why don't you argue with what I write, not what you imagine I write?

Otherwise, I have to think of you as an idiot who uses strawmen.

I did.

Perhaps you're too obtuse to understand that?

I did.

Perhaps you're too obtuse to understand that?
Wrong.

But that's OK. It's on record above.

I assume you have some kind of research to back that up. Some academic research demonstrating the suitability of Ms Cyrus measured against Ms Palin perhaps?

These guys who work for Candie's... they're experts with this target market. They know what does and does not work with teens. They've been running this foundation for 10 years, and they're the charity arm of the fashion brand.

You seem to think this is an 'either/or' thing... it isn't. They may well use Miley... assuming Miley agrees... they use a whole bunch of celebrities in a variety of ways.... you're looking at this as one message... it's not. Its part of a series of messages with a lot of celebs.

I find it sad that people can't see past their own prejudices to see the good that Bristol will do with this.
:confused: If they are experts in what they are doing, why has teen pregnancy gone UP since they started their foundation?
That is not true.
(Reuters) - The U.S. teen pregnancy rate in 2009, the latest year for which data are available, hit its lowest since tracking began 70 years ago, the Center for Disease Control said on Tuesday [April 5, 2011].
U.S. teen pregnancy rate at record low: CDC | Reuters

And, teen pregnancies leading to births are DOWN since the foundation started, at least, according to the CDC.

teenpregnancies.jpg

Doubt it has anything to do with the foundation.

Forum List

Back