You can watch only 3 Christmas movies for the rest of your life. What are they?

I can't believe, as old as I am, I only got around to watching It's a Wonderful Life for the first time two nights ago.

:auiqs.jpg:

Hair dresser on fire. . . indeed!
I like in the clip where Santa says.....Oh so it's a progressive school.

R.c51030b2998240a04441d7ebf4f059ef

1. It’s a Wonderful Life
2. A Christmas Carol (1951)
3. Charlie Brown Christmas*

*I hear the intro music for that one, and I am transported right back to my family’s first house, and in elementary school.

#1 - Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.
#2 - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
#3 - (tie) Its a Wonderful Life & Charlie Brown Xmas.

Elf
The Grinch (Jim Carrey)
It's a Wonderful Life
Bonus
Charlie Brown Christmas

I can't believe, as old as I am, I only got around to watching It's a Wonderful Life for the first time two nights ago.

:auiqs.jpg:

Hair dresser on fire. . . indeed!

I don’t consider Its a Wonderful Life to be a Christmas movie.
It is a movie about the impact of George Baileys life on his community.

Only the last scene takes place at Christmas and even then it is more a celebration of Harry Bailey winning the Medal of Honor than a reflection on Christmas

Last edited:
I don’t consider Its a Wonderful Life to be a Christmas movie.
It is a movie about the impact of George Baileys life on his community.

Only the last scene takes place at Christmas and even then it is more a celebration of Harry Bailey winning the Medal of Ho or than a reflection on Christmas
Well. . . you are one of a very few folks on Earth holding that opinion. . . . . obviously. Why do you think they roll this movie out to be viewed every Christmas?

The entire forum is aware that you have a skewed version of reality.

You also believe that Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden are good people and have done good things for the nation. . . so. . .

iu

Tell us mOAR! :auiqs.jpg:

Home alone (honorary Christmas movie)
Die hard
Bad santa

Well. . . you are one of a very few folks on Earth holding that opinion. . . . . obviously. Why do you think they roll this movie out to be viewed every Christmas?

You also believe that Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden are good people and have done good things for the nation. . . so. . .

iu

Yup....Hillary, Obama, and Biden are good people because they've rid the planet of so many......it's just more better for the rest of us.

seNqlS8.gif

iu

There is nothing in the movie relating directly to Christmas.
Harry could have just as easily won the Medal of Honor on the 4th of July with Uncle Billy losing the money to Potter.

Then it would be considered a 4th of July movie

It's a Wonderful Life isn't as good as they claimed it was.
I am really glad I waited as long as I did to see. . .

It is a whole hell of a lot better than the majority of the dreck that passes as "Christmas moves," out there today.

There reason I haven't gotten around to seeing it? Is I just don't watch a lot of TEE VEE or movies. For around a decade and a half while I was raising my kid, I had subscribed to Netflix, up until it started veering way left field, into critical theory territory. As soon as that Cuties scandal broke, and it didn't respond to consumer protest? I un-subbed.

. . . I knew then, the streaming platforms, were more interested in propagandizing the population, than they were about responding to consumer demands, just like the Networks. IOW? They are just one more tool of the STATE.

Now, w/e is for free on the free streaming platforms, that I don't have to give out an email to watch, I'll take a gander. But I spend way more time reading articles on-line, reading books, or playing video games. . WHEN I am not sleeping, which, with my disability, I DO A LOT of .

So, the free streamers have offered a lot of Christmas movies that have been made in the past few decades, and they seem to mimic what has been offered on the Hallmark Channel, or the Lifetime Channel, (if it isn't in fact their old content,) that really seems to be what makes the money for the broadcast advertisers. . . so in comparison to those? From where I stand? That movie is still really, a good movie in comparison . .

The PROS? There is much better story and character development. The move has a much broader based appeal to all of society. The holiday rom-coms that the entertainment industry seems obsessed with these days, just aren't as popular with older folks and kids, IMO.

The CONS? The production value is abysmally low. I mean, the opening credits are like something out of an early Bob Dylan video or those Millennial/Gen Z tik toks, where they are just throwing down written poster boards cards with crap written on it. . .

And the cuts between scenes are sometimes very abrupt and choppy, not smooth at all. It leans into melodrama (in the acting and writing,) way more than any modern movie would ever, or could ever get away with. Because of modern sensibilities and modern movies, it would appear silly if modern movies ever attempted that. . .

. . however, since it is black and white, and the movie itself, is an American cultural "institution," at this point? It can get away with it, and not look immature. But, having never seen it before? It was very easy for me to look at it objectively.

Was I emotionally moved by it at the end of the ride? Sure, a bit. But no more than some other more recent movies that don't have half the reputation this movie does.

So yeah, I do agree, you perspective is correct. It is still a Christmas movie, with a very good message IMO.

Forum List

Back