Yo, It`s About Time Democrat!!!

1stRambo

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2015
Erin Brockovich accuses feds of lying about mine waste spill

Sep. 8, 2015 9:00 PM EDT

460x (13).jpg

SHIPROCK, N.M. (AP) — Environmental activist Erin Brockovich, made famous from the Oscar-winning movie bearing her name, on Tuesday accused the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of lying about how much toxic wastewater spilled from a Colorado mine and fouled rivers in three Western states.

Her allegation came during a visit to the nation's largest American Indian reservation, where she saw the damage and met with Navajo Nation leaders and farmers affected by last month's spill, which was triggered by an EPA crew during excavation work.

Brockovich said she was shocked by the agency's actions leading up to the release of waste tainted with heavy metals and its response afterward.

"They did not tell the truth about the amount. There were millions and millions of gallons," she said while speaking to a crowd of high school students in Shiprock, New Mexico.

The EPA did not immediately respond to email and telephone requests for comment Tuesday. The agency initially pegged the spill at 1 million gallons but later said it was likely three times that amount given the readings of stream gauges that recorded a spike in river flows.

The revision only added to the suspicion of local officials that were criticizing the agency for failing to notify them sooner that the contaminated plume was headed downstream.

"GTP"
mine-spill-900.jpg

Let's take an organization and make it responsible for cleaning up toxic spills across the nation. There are thousands of them. Some of them trivial. Some of them huge. Some of them more of an annoyance. Some of them truly deadly. Let them do it for years.... Decades. Guess what eventually happens? An accident occurs.

Why I have I heard NOT ONE conservative lay one iota of the blame for this accident on the mine owners who created this enormous toxic mess and then abandoned it to be dealt with at the taxpayer's expense? NOT ONE.

Let's take an organization and make it responsible for cleaning up toxic spills across the nation. There are thousands of them. Some of them trivial. Some of them huge. Some of them more of an annoyance. Some of them truly deadly. Let them do it for years.... Decades. Guess what eventually happens? An accident occurs.

Why I have I heard NOT ONE conservative lay one iota of the blame for this accident on the mine owners who created this enormous toxic mess and then abandoned it to be dealt with at the taxpayer's expense? NOT ONE.

Let's nationalize one of major air carriers and compare safety records after 10 years.. Or even better, let the Feds do their OWN test oil drilling and exploration and compare accidents after 10 years.

There is no way in hell -- that an untouchable bureaucracy would EVER use the same caution and judgement as a private company.. Look at the lingering DISASTER the FEDs left behind at our nuclear weapons plants. Thousands of TONS of rotting containers left behind and 60 years of failing to address the BIGGEST enviro disaster in America..

Love the OP.. There is some justice in the world. Just hope that Erin makes stuff up like she did the last couple times to make this irony sweeter..

The right is always on the side of the polluters.

I'm just glad this was found but there will be more found in the future and my bet is the polluters won't be blamed then either.

The mine waste was contained for about 100 years. If you can't guarantee containment -- you shouldn't be mucking with it.. That's why I blame the EPA and not the owners. If the owners were in violation -- why would it take the EPA 50 years to get THEM to dispose of it?

Let's nationalize one of major air carriers and compare safety records after 10 years.. Or even better, let the Feds do their OWN test oil drilling and exploration and compare accidents after 10 years.

There is no way in hell -- that an untouchable bureaucracy would EVER use the same caution and judgement as a private company.. Look at the lingering DISASTER the FEDs left behind at our nuclear weapons plants. Thousands of TONS of rotting containers left behind and 60 years of failing to address the BIGGEST enviro disaster in America..

Love the OP.. There is some justice in the world. Just hope that Erin makes stuff up like she did the last couple times to make this irony sweeter..
Ah yes, the private companies will take care of us. Donora;

1948 Donora smog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the history of America, Europe or even anywhere. Anyone that thinks private companies have ever given a damn isn't thinking things through.

Look at the history of America, Europe or even anywhere. Anyone that thinks private companies have ever given a damn isn't thinking things through.

Really Matthew??? Europe?? ANYWHERE?? History lesson time. The absolute WORST disasters for the enviro have been in Centrally Planned --- Government monopolized countries. East Germany? Soviet Union? China?

You think their science sucked?? Not a matter of the level of science.. It's a matter of ACCOUNTABILITY and competence.. AND a robust legal system...

Can we assume that you would prefer that the EPA had never been created? Can we assume you believe we would be in a better environmental and economic situation now if they had never existed? Is that correct?

Sep. 8, 2015 9:00 PM EDT

View attachment 49675

SHIPROCK, N.M. (AP) — Environmental activist Erin Brockovich, made famous from the Oscar-winning movie bearing her name, on Tuesday accused the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of lying about how much toxic wastewater spilled from a Colorado mine and fouled rivers in three Western states.

Her allegation came during a visit to the nation's largest American Indian reservation, where she saw the damage and met with Navajo Nation leaders and farmers affected by last month's spill, which was triggered by an EPA crew during excavation work.

Brockovich said she was shocked by the agency's actions leading up to the release of waste tainted with heavy metals and its response afterward.

"They did not tell the truth about the amount. There were millions and millions of gallons," she said while speaking to a crowd of high school students in Shiprock, New Mexico.

The EPA did not immediately respond to email and telephone requests for comment Tuesday. The agency initially pegged the spill at 1 million gallons but later said it was likely three times that amount given the readings of stream gauges that recorded a spike in river flows.

The revision only added to the suspicion of local officials that were criticizing the agency for failing to notify them sooner that the contaminated plume was headed downstream.

"GTP"
View attachment 49676
The one and only instance in history of so called conservatives being upset about pollution. They're all exorcised about it now because a government agency fucked up. If a private corporation had been at fault, all these same hypocritical assholes would rush to their defense. So fuck you lying pieces of shit.

Last edited:

You love it because you are fundamentally dishonest.

:clap::clap::clap:

Really Matthew??? Europe?? ANYWHERE?? History lesson time. The absolute WORST disasters for the enviro have been in Centrally Planned --- Government monopolized countries. East Germany? Soviet Union? China?

You think their science sucked?? Not a matter of the level of science.. It's a matter of ACCOUNTABILITY and competence.. AND a robust legal system...

And the closest environmental policies and agenda to the Soviet Union?

yvQfaRq.png

The Most Anti-Environment House In History

You love it because you are fundamentally dishonest.

No --- I love it because Brockovitch is fundamentally dishonest.. Or stupid or a bit a both. You don't get the pick the folks who join your causes. So I welcome her in and hope she stays true to form. Because the eco-frauds got a major Hollywood movie out of her last crusade...

BTW -- we can work this just like the Dems do consistently.. Someone has to go to Erin and whisper "Savannah River" or "Hanford" in her ear.. Could keep her busy for the rest of her life....

Do you think the EPA has never used a contractor in their multitude of toxic cleanup efforts? Do you think this work has all been done by government employees? Ridiculous.

As I stated, the EPA has conducted thousands of cleanups of spills and abandoned toxins - often spilled and abandoned, I might add, by the private companies you laud. Your rant is unsupportable. You draw on no actual data. This is just more unfocused, unverified and irrelevant anti-government sentiment.

Do you think the EPA has never used a contractor in their multitude of toxic cleanup efforts? Do you think this work has all been done by government employees? Ridiculous.

As I stated, the EPA has conducted thousands of cleanups of spills and abandoned toxins - often spilled and abandoned, I might add, by the private companies you laud. Your rant is unsupportable. You draw on no actual data. This is just more unfocused, unverified and irrelevant anti-government sentiment.

Nope.. Won't fly.. Won't even get off the ground. The hired excavator operator did not design plan or approve the work. Was hired and DIRECTED by the site managers. Which would be the EPA morons who evidently did not design, plan or approve any safety or contingency plans. They were the on-site experts with the checkbook..

Forum List

Back