Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!

Praise the Lord!

We are back to normal! FINALLY!!!

Good sleeping weather!

A wicked rain and thunder storm came thru last night....but it was hot as heck when I awoke this morning, as the saying goes, you could cut the humidity with a knife.... this was almost a week of running the air conditioning and not being able to keep the windows opened...which I hate! (That's one of the things I simply love about Maine, is being able to keep the windows open, for most of the day, every day, of summer)

We had three major rain storms come thru during the day today and after each one, it still was hot, humid, and sticky, until the last one came thru...which was like a Florida rain, the kind of rain that has rain drops the size of Alaska, and if driving on I95, or I75 or the Florida turnpike, you would have to pull over, because you may as well not have wind shield wipers at all....YOU SEE NOTHING!!!

Never seen anything like it up here in Maine, until today!!!

But GOD BLESS THAT Storm because it brought a cold front!!!

It is presently 63 degrees, (all windows are opened. the AC is turned off)

And going down to 52 tonight, only 43% humidity,

And the high tomorrow is 78 degrees!

God Blessed Maine summers! :D

Or you could turn down the thermostat.

:D
IF you were fortunate enough to have central air..... which most of the homes up in northern New England, do not!

Even when we lived in Massachusetts, the home we bought did not have central air.... It is usually not needed....

But the 2nd year we lived there, a heat wave came thru that lasted two weeks... it was a living hell! The house had these contemporary windows that were long and skinny and opened out sideways with a crank like handle.. anyway, we could not get any window air conditioners.... We actually put a blow up mattress down in the finished basement, because it was just a tad cooler.... the whole event was simply a nightmare....

And I decided, come hell or high water, we were getting central air!!!

and I called Sears and a few other people to get estimates and Sears was the MOST expensive, but then some guy at another company that I called, (and felt sorry for me I suppose), gave me the number of his friend, who was a Plumber and put in Central Air conditioning units.... for HALF the price of what Sears was charging!!!

It was a fairly easy job in that home because we had natural gas/ FORCED HOT AIR as our heating method so all the duct work was already run through the house.

this home here in Maine, is Oil heat, FORCED HOT WATER....so pipes for hot water running thru the house and not ducts/vents, so adding Central Air, is cost prohibitive, for us....

Wow, I grew up in Dallas Texas, and I have not considered that some homes do not have AC, so I appologize.

I have however learned a couple of tricks on how to cool a place with a fan.

You take a strong fan like this one Commercial Electric 42 in. Heavy Duty Belt Drive Drum Fan with Hanging Receivers-BF42BDCE - The Home Depot and you put it in the window of an upstairs room, or in the attic in front of an opening that can handle the air throughput, if you have such in your attic.

Have it blowing OUT of the window and have the downstairs windows open.

You should get a cooling breeze and the house stays cooler because you are putting all the hottest air out.

You could also put buckets of water in front of the downstairs windows and have a T-shirt hanging down into it. You can hang the T-Shirt off a coat hanger on the back of a chair etc. This seems to absorb much of the incoming heat into the water, but I am only guessing.

Strategically placed rotating fans inside help alot as well.

Growing up we had around a dozen fans of various types for when the AC went out, lol.
My husband Matt, came from very humble beginnings, and his parent's house in Tampa, Fl, did not have air conditioning when he was growing up, and amazingly, to this very day, he really does not have a problem with heat, or heat waves while I am just dying without cold air....

Well, his dad had all kinds of contraptions like what you explained... or a swamp cooler type thingy set up.

EDIT

up here we do have window AC units that can be put in, if it is really hot.

Last edited:
Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

A wicked rain and thunder storm came thru last night....but it was hot as heck when I awoke this morning, as the saying goes, you could cut the humidity with a knife.... this was almost a week of running the air conditioning and not being able to keep the windows opened...which I hate! (That's one of the things I simply love about Maine, is being able to keep the windows open, for most of the day, every day, of summer)

We had three major rain storms come thru during the day today and after each one, it still was hot, humid, and sticky, until the last one came thru...which was like a Florida rain, the kind of rain that has rain drops the size of Alaska, and if driving on I95, or I75 or the Florida turnpike, you would have to pull over, because you may as well not have wind shield wipers at all....YOU SEE NOTHING!!!

Absolutely.
All last week was atrociously hot. 4 Days in a row with a heat index over 105, July 5th we had a heat index of 116! You can't do anything outdoors in that kind of heat, it might as well be winter at that point.
It is a magnificent 67 degrees here now. Windows open.

40 degrees here this morning. Feels great for a change, and I hate the cold.
Saturday 8:00 AM
Sunny
sunny.png

°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 62%
Wind: 9 mph

This was about an hour ago....when I woke up!

80 with 74% humidity here. :blowup:
In less than a year, I am going to be living in THAT kind of weather misery, and I am NOT in any way, looking forward to it!!!!
Maine will miss you!
We are keeping our home here, for now....hoping to get back during the summers.... we will probably move in with my sister or move in to my parents house, which is a really big home, next door to my sis, for a few years.... my parents are getting really old and lots and lots of doctor's appointments and stuff, and my parents need help.... and, my sister needs help too, with helping my parents!

Please don't say the "f" word. After that comes winter.

Gosh. Now that you mention it, Fall isn't too far around the corner. Gonna have to dig out the jean jacket in about 90 days.

I didn't even plan on being back on here more than a week or so and already I'm popping my pie hole off off on here the last couple months. Time's moving.

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Absolutely.
All last week was atrociously hot. 4 Days in a row with a heat index over 105, July 5th we had a heat index of 116! You can't do anything outdoors in that kind of heat, it might as well be winter at that point.
I'm not even certain it even hit 90 degrees here during the heat wave...but high 80's every day, was hot enough!!!!! :eek:

Can't even imagine the kind of heat you are talking about!!!! Holy Smokes!

Please don't say the "f" word. After that comes winter.

Gosh. Now that you mention it, Fall isn't too far around the corner. Gonna have to dig out the jean jacket in about 90 days.

I didn't even plan on being back on here more than a week or so and already I'm popping my pie hole off off on here the last couple months. Time's moving.
September and October are Fall here in Maine..... November begins winter.

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Absolutely.
I'm not even certain it even hit 90 degrees here during the heat wave...but high 80's every day, was hot enough!!!!! :eek:

Indiana. We are in the central midwest "bubble" that is affected by the Gulf of Mexico. Since of course warm fronts come from the south, and we are directly north of the Gulf and we don't have mountains to effect the weather....we get the full brunt of the humidity.
Sort of like how Great Lake states get "lake effect" snow in the winter, we get "Gulf effect" humidity in the summer.

We got a long string of 95. "Real feel", 105. I was on call during the worst part and endless AC calls.

How is everyone else doing? Has a cooling down or cold front come thru for you yet?

Cloudbursts came to WNC yesterday and cooled it off finally. But we expect the heat back, even here in the mountains (which is normally more like you get in Maine).

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Michigan is great too. God bless this great country we live in.

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

It was 90 plus for a couple days but we survived it

Attachments

• DF347668-4C9A-43DC-A59F-922D52F4E055.jpeg
    DF347668-4C9A-43DC-A59F-922D52F4E055.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Or you could turn down the thermostat.

:D
IF you were fortunate enough to have central air..... which most of the homes up in northern New England, do not!

Even when we lived in Massachusetts, the home we bought did not have central air.... It is usually not needed....

But the 2nd year we lived there, a heat wave came thru that lasted two weeks... it was a living hell! The house had these contemporary windows that were long and skinny and opened out sideways with a crank like handle.. anyway, we could not get any window air conditioners.... We actually put a blow up mattress down in the finished basement, because it was just a tad cooler.... the whole event was simply a nightmare....

And I decided, come hell or high water, we were getting central air!!!

and I called Sears and a few other people to get estimates and Sears was the MOST expensive, but then some guy at another company that I called, (and felt sorry for me I suppose), gave me the number of his friend, who was a Plumber and put in Central Air conditioning units.... for HALF the price of what Sears was charging!!!

It was a fairly easy job in that home because we had natural gas/ FORCED HOT AIR as our heating method so all the duct work was already run through the house.

this home here in Maine, is Oil heat, FORCED HOT WATER....so pipes for hot water running thru the house and not ducts/vents, so adding Central Air, is cost prohibitive, for us....

Wow, I grew up in Dallas Texas, and I have not considered that some homes do not have AC, so I appologize.

I have however learned a couple of tricks on how to cool a place with a fan.

You take a strong fan like this one Commercial Electric 42 in. Heavy Duty Belt Drive Drum Fan with Hanging Receivers-BF42BDCE - The Home Depot and you put it in the window of an upstairs room, or in the attic in front of an opening that can handle the air throughput, if you have such in your attic.

Have it blowing OUT of the window and have the downstairs windows open.

You should get a cooling breeze and the house stays cooler because you are putting all the hottest air out.

You could also put buckets of water in front of the downstairs windows and have a T-shirt hanging down into it. You can hang the T-Shirt off a coat hanger on the back of a chair etc. This seems to absorb much of the incoming heat into the water, but I am only guessing.

Strategically placed rotating fans inside help alot as well.

Growing up we had around a dozen fans of various types for when the AC went out, lol.

That's exactly how the houses I grew up in worked. We didn't get AC until I was in my mid-teens and even then it was only because I had serious allergies (and got window units).

Before central A/C or A/C in general became a thing, ranch houses in the South were commonly built with a built-in industrial sized exhaust fan. My mother's house (built early 1950s) had that, but over the years it had been sealed off in deference to the later-installed central A/C. But when she passed away and it was time to renovate I had it opened up. It's useful a lot of the time --- when you run central A/C you have to close yourself up in a bubble. And when you run that A/C all the time it's going to break down now and then so you need a plan B.

Where I live now in the NC mountains I've never seen the outside temp get over 87 even at the peak of the hottest heat wave. And inside the house is always cooler, so it's never had A/C at all. Although a dehumidifier has become a must, no pun intended.

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Absolutely.

I do remember sitting in a driveway in Hancock Maine a few summers ago when it was 100.

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Absolutely.

I do remember sitting in a driveway in Hancock Maine a few summers ago when it was 100.
it does not happen often, and when it does for a day or two, we usually enjoy it and get out and do the beach thing, in actual shorts or bathing suit instead of going to the beach with our sweat shirt hoodies on..... :D

but when it is more than 3 days, it is a nightmare!!!

Praise the Lord!

Good sleeping weather!

Absolutely.

When we began our home search, we began it in Hancock...but ended up a few hours from there when we finally bought.

How is everyone else doing? Has a cooling down or cold front come thru for you yet?

Been waiting for,summer here and it might finally be here after today, we can hope. We hit 90 on Thursday then back down to mid 70’s yesterday. July and we have had no summer.

Been waiting for,summer here and it might finally be here after today, we can hope. We hit 90 on Thursday then back down to mid 70’s yesterday. July and we have had no summer.
i'm sorry! I hate when that happens too! the only month where we are guaranteed to have summer weather, day and night, is usually July.... june and August, are a hit or miss....

Forum List

Back