Yes, it is a fourth amendment violation.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
The most hated amendment by the Right is the Fourth. This is the one that prevents the cops from searching anyone and anywhere they bloody well feel like. The Right is the one who argues that there are so many exceptions, even bordering on an exception if the cop has a hunch, or psychic vision, or the Magic 8 Ball says yes when you ask it if he is a criminal.

Hot Air does grant that Civil Forfeiture is not exactly a great way to do things. It's nice that they at least object to the seizing of people's property without due process. However, the problem is that the author Jazz Shaw objects to the whole fruit of the poison tree argument that is used to exclude evidence that is obtained illegally, or in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

I've heard that before, but one thing I've never heard is what they propose to do about illegally seized evidence? I mean, the Right Law and Order types always object to it, but what do they propose is done to punish violations of the Fourth Amendment?

This particular violation followed this pattern. An RV was traveling west, the defendant was driving his brothers RV. It was not stolen, and was in his possession legally. He was pulled over by a cop who felt that he was transporting drugs or drug money. I'll get to that in a minute. The cop asked to search and was denied. Without evidence of some contraband, which could not be gotten without a Dog, which the Deputy did not have access to, that was the end of it.

But not for the Deputy. He called ahead to the next county, and alerted them. They again stopped the RV for a "minor traffic violation" and by an amazing coincidence had a dog waiting. The dog "keyed" on the vehicle. The cops got the warrant, and searched, and found no drugs, but did find money, nearly $168k. The cops found "drug residue" on the money and seized it under civil forfeiture.

The Judge ordered the money returned since there was no evidence that the money had been gotten illegally, and the search was problematic. Calling ahead and arranging for someone else to finish what you started is problematic in my mind. You had your swing at the ball, tough shit.

So now "coordinated traffic stops" are a Fourth Amendment violation? - Hot Air

Police run all sorts of efforts to "interdict" drugs and drug money on the interstates and highways. It is a pipeline of sorts. Drugs come up through Mexico usually, and are distributed north, and east, to the rest of the nation. The Money tends to move west, and south. Now, by a curious coincidence the police prefer to stop the westbound traffic. If they seize the drugs, then the packages are tested, and stored, and after the trial sometime in the future, destroyed. But if they seize money, with drug residue on it, the money is deposited into a bank, where the cash with the drug residue will be kept in circulation, and be seized some time in the future, and the funds unless ordered returned to the victim of the theft are used by the police departments to buy new cars for the crooks stealing the cash in the first place.

No, I wasn't making it up. The cops are really doing this.

[...]

But if they seize money, with drug residue on it, the money is deposited into a bank, where the cash with the drug residue will be kept in circulation, and be seized some time in the future, and the funds unless ordered returned to the victim of the theft are used by the police departments to buy new cars for the crooks stealing the cash in the first place.

[...]
I recall reading some time ago that the majority of 50 and 100 dollar notes in ordinary circulation are tainted with drug residue.

Time to slash the hell out of the federal and state law book.

Cops should have very little reason to pull you over.

The only reason cops can pull you over for so many things is because of faggot liberal politicians who criminalize everything thereby giving cops probable cause.

Is that why(off topic of course) that you republicans want to tell me what bathroom and what gender I can put on my lenience.. Both parties do stupid stuff.

Me, I'd like to see a lot more freedom and a lot less reasons to arrest people.

The only reason cops can pull you over for so many things is because of faggot liberal politicians who criminalize everything thereby giving cops probable cause.

Really? So Attorney General Sessions the apparent flaming liberal wants to prosecute Medical Marijuana?

Now if you were honest you would have said that both sides tend to do things like pass laws restricting the actions of the citizens. And it's both sides that campaign on the idea that "they shouldn't be able to do that".

Really? So Attorney General Sessions the apparent flaming liberal wants to prosecute Medical Marijuana?

Now if you were honest you would have said that both sides tend to do things like pass laws restricting the actions of the citizens. And it's both sides that campaign on the idea that "they shouldn't be able to do that".

Sessions is enforcing the law. If you don't like it, bitch to Congress.

Then why is he going to congress to ask permission if it is so simple?

Because Congress writes the laws. Derp.

Because Congress writes the laws. Derp.

And the Attorney General needs congressional approval to enforce existing law? I don't remember that from my civics class. What part of the constitution does that fall under again?

Congress could easily stop him from doing anything by removing Pot from the Controlled Substances Act. At that point it goes to the States.

Is that why(off topic of course) that you republicans want to tell me what bathroom and what gender I can put on my lenience.. Both parties do stupid stuff.

Me, I'd like to see a lot more freedom and a lot less reasons to arrest people.
You don't need freedom to send men into womens restrooms. You need incarceration.

There is a reason why it says 'free from unreasonable search and seizure' and, without a doubt, continued harassment of Americans to go on fishing expeditions is unreasonable.

also, congress does not have the authority to remove marijuana from the CSA because they legislated that power to the DEA when they created the CSA.

There is a reason why it says 'free from unreasonable search and seizure' and, without a doubt, continued harassment of Americans to go on fishing expeditions is unreasonable.

also, congress does not have the authority to remove marijuana from the CSA because they legislated that power to the DEA when they created the CSA.

^^^^
I'll pay attention to GIFs and JPGs, but watching idiot videos trying to be condescending insults get ignored.
Now, if you'd rather intelligently discuss the issue, i'm game. If not, i'll be just as comfortable exposing your idiocy every chance you give me.

^^^^
I'll pay attention to GIFs and JPGs, but watching idiot videos trying to be condescending insults get ignored.
Now, if you'd rather intelligently discuss the issue, i'm game. If not, i'll be just as comfortable exposing your idiocy every chance you give me.
I can see how you ignored it. The problem is you are a lawbreaker and want to protect criminals. From your posts that's what I conclude. When disagreed with, you attack twist and spin. Liberal.

I can see how you ignored it. The problem is you are a lawbreaker and want to protect criminals. From your posts that's what I conclude. When disagreed with, you attack twist and spin. Liberal.

have you always been prone to assumptions without facts in evidence? have you always looked at government accountability as protecting criminals? Do you always confuse Libertarian with Liberal?

have you always been this confused?

Forum List

Back