Year of the movie bomb

IsaacNewton

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2015
2015 is turning into a year of movies bombing at the boxoffice.

The most recent is Jem and the Holograms. I have no idea what this is about but it received great hype and after only 2 weeks of release the stuidio is yanking it. A very unusual move in any scenario. Production cost was 5 million and the movie took in 2 million, loss of 3 million. Hardly worth noting for Universal who scored huge with Jurassic World, Minions and others this year. Jurassic world alone grossed 1.6 billion world wide.

Jupiter Ascending (-$127 million)
Seventh Son (-$79 million)
Blackhat (-$63 million)
Mortdecai (-$63 million)
Sandra Bullocks latest is tanking as well, as is Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's movie By the Sea.

How exactly does an exec at one of these studios walk in and say, 'we've lost 80 million dollars'.

I post this because it is interesting how some movies actually get green-lighted to be made. A few years ago Cowboys and Aliens. Someone actually went to a producer and said 'I have a great idea for a movie' and the producer agreed. Makes you wonder how hard is it really to come up with ideas for movies. I think its something like 10 of the top 20 movies that lost the most money have been made in the last 10 years. Some have lost as much as 130 million dollars. Mars Needs Moms, 47 Ronin.

"TRUTH" faded almost instantly despite the exciting trailers. :laugh:

No one bought it then, or now.

One of the reasons I dont' go to the theatre much these days.

Mad Max Fury Road>>>>flop, imo

Most of what I've seen ads for this year?

not worth seeing.

it's the same story again and again
with different actors

writers and producers want to do something different
but

people like it when the good guy wins
they fall in love
there's a tragic loss that inspires
the underdog comes through to win and gets the girl b/c he was inspired
shit getting blown up

Jem was not that popular of a cartoon, so making a movie for it was doomed from the jump

Hollyweird lost their glitter. Now it is just stupid flicks. Gone are the days of Hunt For Red October, The Godfather, Pirates of the Caribbean (family show), etc.

I like my netflicks and my cd collection. I have better taste than hollyweird does.

Hollyweird lost their glitter. Now it is just stupid flicks. Gone are the days of Hunt For Red October, The Godfather, Pirates of the Caribbean (family show), etc.

I like my netflicks and my cd collection. I have better taste than hollyweird does.

I disagree to a point, there are a lot of new movies that aren't worth the time, but they still make a lot of good ones as well. Red October was a gem, as was the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. I like the James Bond films, most of what Spielberg does of course, Twelve Years a Slave was well done. Interstellar was good but like Inception it became over-complicated.

My point was..and is....they are not cranking out enough GOOD movies to outweigh the bad ones cropping up.

My point was..and is....they are not cranking out enough GOOD movies to outweigh the bad ones cropping up.

I have to agree that the also-rans are far too many. Especially in an era where the average cost of a movie is 100 million dollars. You'd think they'd be more concerned about losing that money.

They had a boon with the advanced development of graphics.

You could put out absolute trash, but the amazing graphics got people to ooo and aaaah.

Pull out your copy of Star Wars, then ask youself; Why the fuck did I watch it so many times when it came out?

The graphics are dated, the special effects aren't special and you know the music

the movie actually sucks.

2015 is turning into a year of movies bombing at the boxoffice.

The most recent is Jem and the Holograms. I have no idea what this is about but it received great hype and after only 2 weeks of release the stuidio is yanking it. A very unusual move in any scenario. Production cost was 5 million and the movie took in 2 million, loss of 3 million. Hardly worth noting for Universal who scored huge with Jurassic World, Minions and others this year. Jurassic world alone grossed 1.6 billion world wide.

Jupiter Ascending (-$127 million)
Seventh Son (-$79 million)
Blackhat (-$63 million)
Mortdecai (-$63 million)
Sandra Bullocks latest is tanking as well, as is Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's movie By the Sea.

How exactly does an exec at one of these studios walk in and say, 'we've lost 80 million dollars'.

I post this because it is interesting how some movies actually get green-lighted to be made. A few years ago Cowboys and Aliens. Someone actually went to a producer and said 'I have a great idea for a movie' and the producer agreed. Makes you wonder how hard is it really to come up with ideas for movies. I think its something like 10 of the top 20 movies that lost the most money have been made in the last 10 years. Some have lost as much as 130 million dollars. Mars Needs Moms, 47 Ronin.

Jem was a cartoon in the 80s if I recall. ...I hear. Never watched it like...;) Jupiter I remember the trailers for, comparing itself to Star Wars, so was a tad disappointed seeing it recently. So much so didn't even bother writing a review. It sucked. Bad.

If not mistaken, movies are insured against sucking. If they bomb, studios recoup at least some of their investments. Like FDIC insurance at a bank.

I'll bet you are right about some type of box office bomb insurance, but then the insurance company would have some say in what gets produced?

And Star Wars sucks? Come now. The story is timeless and extremely well told which is 80% of a good movie. And it is dated re special effects but that is the nature of all things. King Kong from 1933 is dated because it came out in 1933!

I think the future is they will be able to use computers to produce anything. They'll be able to resurrect Humphrey Bogart and have him acting in lifelike clarity in a new movie. Marilyn Monroe may have a second career. Utter reality in computer graphis is fast approaching.

Which is also a good thing. A director can literally put anything their imagination can conceive of on screen and have it look like living reality. Its hard to believe Jurassic Park was 1993 when you look at the CG of the T-Rex. It still holds up against today's graphics.

I saw Spectre last weekend enjoyed the 007 action.

I saw the Peanuts movie last night and loved Snoopy and Peppermint Patty.

I was hoping the Peanuts movie would be good, that is a franchise that needs to continue forever. Looking forward to both.

Forum List

Back