YAY!! Let's drill in Alaska!! :) woot!

sagegirl said:
I dont think we have done all we can to reduce our need and consumption for oil....thus I do not think we are really justified to expand our drilling to satisfy an insatiable appetite. Sell your SUV and demand alternative energy programs.

Where is it written that we can't do both at the same time? the liberal playbook on how to destroy america? Are you indebted to the mullahs for some reason?

Kathianne said:
I believe the demand for renewable sources has been made and heard. R&D for hydrogen is going ahead. That doesn't address the immediate problem of dependence, there are no reasons NOT to develop sources within our borders.

I agree. In college, a few years ago, I was offered to buy for very cheap, some stock in a company that was dealing in fuel cells. I listened to my friends father, did some research, thought, hmmm, his company does not sound all that great. Interesting note, the company was later sued by the government and went under, not my friend's dad fault, but the board and CEO. My point is, this was being touted as the next best thing (this was 1999).

My dad's company (hopefully will make money soon) has a product being looked at currently by the military and other large corps. This product has the ability to contain oxygen, gases, in a very flexible, hence not limited by cubic space as much as a tank, that will not explode upon impact. We are talking NASA impact. Ballistics are not done yet, but soon, especially if the military wants it. The inventor believes that he might be able to store hydrogen in this product. I am not sure about hydrogen, but the impact it could have on vehicles that run on other sources is enormous.

For instance, there is an ex formula one engineer in europe that has designed a car that runs on compressed air, yes air. Guess what, he is very interested in my dad's company's product. Unfortunately, $$ are needed and it looks like it may happen in the next few months to a year. This car that runs on air is only limited by tank size, something our invention could radical change due the flexibility.

Hopefully we will be off oil soon, until then, I drive a 91 4runner (lived in OR for some years and you have to a 4by). The gas, horrible. But I can not "dump" my SUV for a car that gets better gas mileage. I am sure there are others like this. So, for the time being, America should open up its resources where feasible so as to minimize our foreign dependence.

Drilling in anwar sends a message to all the opec nations that we are serious about energy independence.Right away these opec nations will start to lower prices to discourage us from exploration and drilling,opec will do this to make sure we stay dependent on their oil.The environmentalists and left-wing liberal whack jobs here in the u.s. are the best friends the middle-east has because they have kept us from exploration and drilling,building oil refineries and building new power plants (especially nuclear).

How much oil is in anwar?The answer is enough to make the price of oil drop for a number of years.Why not explore and drill in other areas also,we have the technology to do it clean and safe.Think of all the new jobs created and the added revenue to the federal government!

President Bush needs to do like Kennedy did with the moon mission and come out and say "We will be energy independent and have a new clean energy source in 20 years!"anwar is a short-term solution but that doesn't make it a bad solution or one that will not have benefits.We should explore and drill for oil and at the same time move toward a new energy source.

cptpwichita said:
Drilling in anwar sends a message to all the opec nations that we are serious about energy independence.Right away these opec nations will start to lower prices to discourage us from exploration and drilling,opec will do this to make sure we stay dependent on their oil.The environmentalists and left-wing liberal whack jobs here in the u.s. are the best friends the middle-east has because they have kept us from exploration and drilling,building oil refineries and building new power plants (especially nuclear).

How much oil is in anwar?The answer is enough to make the price of oil drop for a number of years.Why not explore and drill in other areas also,we have the technology to do it clean and safe.Think of all the new jobs created and the added revenue to the federal government!

President Bush needs to do like Kennedy did with the moon mission and come out and say "We will be energy independent and have a new clean energy source in 20 years!"anwar is a short-term solution but that doesn't make it a bad solution or one that will not have benefits.We should explore and drill for oil and at the same time move toward a new energy source.

Supposed reports are that the oil deposit in the gulf is 10 times as big as the whole ANWR find. Its in our waters. Lets go get it.

rtwngAvngr said:
Where is it written that we can't do both at the same time? the liberal playbook on how to destroy america? Are you indebted to the mullahs for some reason?

I will answer your question with a question, why not really make it a priority to curb consumption, and preserve the few remaining pristine wilderness areas that still remain? If the mullahs are counting on me, they are in big trouble.

ABC News
March 18, 2005

Native Americans decry Alaska exploration ruling

There has been an angry reaction from native Americans in Alaska to the decision by the United States Senate to open up a remote wildlife refuge to oil drilling.

Luci Beach, of the local American Indian tribe, says the area is home to caribou, migratory birds and other wildlife.

"Sixty to 70 per cent of our diet comes from the land and caribou is one of the primary animals that we depend on for sustenance," he said.

"For us this is a human rights issue and it's a basic Aboriginal human rights issue."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200503/s1327010.htm

Itsthetruth said:
ABC News
March 18, 2005

There has been an angry reaction from native Americans in Alaska to the decision by the United States Senate to open up a remote wildlife refuge to oil drilling.

Luci Beach, of the local American Indian tribe, says the area is home to caribou, migratory birds and other wildlife.

"Sixty to 70 per cent of our diet comes from the land and caribou is one of the primary animals that we depend on for sustenance," he said.

"For us this is a human rights issue and it's a basic Aboriginal human rights issue."

Studies have shown that after the first Alaskan pipeline caribou populations increased dramatically thus the enviromental argument is a loser. The injuns arguments are purely political.

Itsthetruth said:
ABC News
March 18, 2005

I've heard the exact opposite from tribes that live up there.

SmarterThanYou said:
I've heard the exact opposite from tribes that live up there.

So you spend a lot of time with Alaskan Indians? :)

I bet some of your best friends are Alaskan Indians along with "colored" folks in Alabama.

Sure hope you don't address your Alaskan Indian pals as "injuns". Be careful about what you call them. You don't want to sound like some illiterate fool! And they might put a hurt on ya!

Just some friendly advice bro!

Itsthetruth said:

I bet some of your best friends are Alaskan Indians along with "colored" folks in Alabama.

Sure hope you don't address your Alaskan Indian pals as "injuns". Be careful about what you call them. You don't want to sound like some illiterate fool! And they might put a hurt on ya!

http://www.nativetimes.com/index.asp?action=displayarticle&article_id=6173

You do? Sure!
Alaska Natives optimistic over Alaska drilling
Senate give go-ahead, move supported by most Natives in state

Native American Times and Associated Press 3/18/2005

Alaska Natives that long supported drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge say they are buoyed after the Senate agreed to allow oil exploration in the wilderness area.

“We are very pleased,” Tara MacLean Sweeney, an Inupiat Eskimo, told the Native American Times by telephone from her home in Barrow, Alaska. “I think that people on the North Slope people are breathing a sigh of relief. This is just one in a series of steps but it is the closest we have ever been.”

Adding to her optimism is the fact that Senate assured that any drilling provision would be linked to the budget process, depriving opponents of using a filibuster to block action-a tactic that has been used repeatedly over the years to stymie ANWR drilling proposals.

An attempt by Democrats to take the issue out of the budget process failed when they could muster only 49 votes against 51 votes by drilling supporters.

It was a major victory for President Bush, who has made access to the refuge's oil a key part of his energy agenda.

"This project will keep our economy growing by creating jobs and ensuring that businesses can expand,'' the president said in a statement. "And it will make America less dependent on foreign sources of energy, eventually by up to a million barrels of oil a day.''

The Alaska Federation of Natives, along with the vast majority of Alaska residents-Native and non-Native alike, agree with opening ANWR to oil drilling. The Gwitch'in Athabascan Indians are opposed to the move, expressing fears that drilling could harm the birthing grounds of the Porcupine Caribou herd. The Gwitch'in use the herd to buttress their subsistence lifestyle.

There is also a disagreement as to how much oil is located in ANWR. Estimates range from 3.2 billion barrels all the way up to 16 billion barrels.

Itsthetruth said:

Just some friendly advice for you, pal: STY is part Cherokee, and doesn't need you to lecture him about how to address Inuit tribes.

gop_jeff said:
Just some friendly advice for you, pal: STY is part Cherokee, and doesn't need you to lecture him about how to address Inuit tribes.

If that's true, that STY is part Cherokee, I don't think he would address Indians as "injuns" and he'd probably have something very unkind to say, at least, if I or anyone on this board called Indians "injuns". All self-respecting Indians considered that a very big racial insult along with calling Native American women "squaws". Did you know that?

I don't engage in racial slurs and insults and I'm sure that most other posters don't do or encourage that sort of thing no matter what their political views may be.

Now let's get back to the subject at hand, ANWR.

Itsthetruth said:
If that's true, that STY is part Cherokee, I don't think he would address Indians as "injuns" and he'd probably have something very unkind to say, at least, if I or anyone on this board called Indians "injuns". All self-respecting Indians considered that a very big racial insult along with calling Native American women "squaws". Did you know that?

I don't engage in racial slurs and insults and I'm sure that most other posters don't do or encourage that sort of thing no matter what their political views may be.

Yes, why don't you address the post from Native American site.

Itsthetruth said:

Injun is a racial slur? Your logic doesnt follow btw. You do realize that Blacks are the people who use the N word the most dont you?

Injun is a racial slur? QUOTE]

Yes it is. Along with "squaws". Just ask any genuine Native American. I've attended "pow wows" and if anyone has used either term at those events they would have gotten a good ass whippin.

And rightfully so!

Itsthetruth said:
Injun is a racial slur? QUOTE]

Yes it is. Along with "squaws". Just ask any genuine Native American. I've attended "pow wows" and if anyone has used either term at those events they would have gotten a good ass whippin.

And rightfully so!

So we should ask Ward Churchill? The 'real' artificial Native American with the mail ordered Phd?

Injun is a racial slur? Your logic doesnt follow btw. You do realize that Blacks are the people who use the N word the most dont you?

I'm sorry, but I work with aboriginal people, and they consider the term Injun to be a racial slur. Injun, Squaw, Cheif there are tons of them.

Kathianne said:
Itsthetruth said:

No problem. About 75% of Alaskans approve of ANWR. Do you know why? It's not just about jobs, something unemployed Alaskan's need whatever the source. It's about hard cold cash. Tens of thousands of dollars in direct cash payouts to every adult man, woman and even their children who reside in Alaska.

It's the oil dividend plan. And I'm not talking about normal dividends payed out to stock owners.

What's really amazing is that even with these yearly cash payouts and the promise of bigger ones to all residents of Alaska with ANWR oil drilling, so many Alaskans are opposed to ANWR!

If someone offered to pay you about $2,000 every year for every member of your family, just for supporting a legislative bill would you support the Alaskan pipeline and ANWR? And yet 25% of Alaskan's say "hell no!" Now that's truly amazing.

Forum List

Back