YAY!! Let's drill in Alaska!! :) woot!

Itsthetruth said:
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
March 16, 2005

In the Northwest: The Arctic refuge and public are about to get drilled
By JOEL CONNELLY

The final push to drill the Arctic Refuge has a curious resemblance to America's politics of 100 years ago, only in reverse.

Under President Theodore Roosevelt, America was coming out of the Gilded Age. Given its name by Mark Twain, the Gilded Age was the opulent, corrupt era of the late 19th century in which corporate moguls ruled the country. The trust-busting Roosevelt inaugurated a progressive era.

He created our national forest system and designated national monuments in the Grand Canyon and Olympic Mountains. He protected the vast estuary of Alaska's Copper River Delta from exploitation by greedy coal barons. America today is entering a new Gilded Age. The Arctic Refuge and the American public have this in common: Both are about to get drilled.

President Dwight Eisenhower, a Republican, created what was then called the Arctic National Wildlife Range in 1960 as one of his last acts in office. A bill in Congress would name the coastal plain after Ike. Susan Eisenhower, the president's granddaughter, last week called for preservation of the coastal plain, and appealed for the GOP not to turn its back on this legacy.

"I believe the Republican Party has had an outstanding historical tradition, when you think of the leadership it gave to civil rights, when you think of the leadership it gave to the environmental movement, to the balanced budget process," said Eisenhower. "These are solid Republican traditional values." "I don't believe good stewardship goes out of style, frankly," she added.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/connelly/216148_joel16.html

Whats your point? we are continuing our tradition of good stewardship over the land and environment around us. We are just rejecting the wackos on the fringe left who seem to think a barren arctic tundra is more valuable then human life. I wonder how the left feels when they realize they taking a similar position as hitler when he thought the environment was more important than human life. I wonder if they even realize it at all.

ITT,

I would be interested to hear your reply to Stephanie, from alaska, post above.

And please, don't be smart ass, she is a nice person, just form an articulate position, then state it.

Got it.

Stephanie said:
We need this, to make a living for our families. Thanks for everyone who is in favor of us Alaskans making a living, off our own land. :salute:

I take it from your post that unemployment is a serious problem in Alaska and I'm sorry to hear that.

However, could you please indicate how much of a yearly dividend you have received for Alaskan oil exploration and how much do you expect it to increase once ANWR oil production is up and running.

Thanks.

Itsthetruth said:
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
March 16, 2005

In the Northwest: The Arctic refuge and public are about to get drilled
By JOEL CONNELLY

The final push to drill the Arctic Refuge has a curious resemblance to America's politics of 100 years ago, only in reverse.

Under President Theodore Roosevelt, America was coming out of the Gilded Age. Given its name by Mark Twain, the Gilded Age was the opulent, corrupt era of the late 19th century in which corporate moguls ruled the country. The trust-busting Roosevelt inaugurated a progressive era.

"I believe the Republican Party has had an outstanding historical tradition, when you think of the leadership it gave to civil rights, when you think of the leadership it gave to the environmental movement, to the balanced budget process," said Eisenhower. "These are solid Republican traditional values." "I don't believe good stewardship goes out of style, frankly," she added.l[/url]

You know "it" ,
I am originally from Louisiana where drilling went on all around where we lived , especially in the 70s . You could drive for a few miles and count 10 drilling rigs . I can't think of any disasters created there . I lived in the country for awhile and watched a rig that was located across the bayou from the property I was on . Sure there was some noise but overall it wasn't a big deal . There were no smells , no evidence that they had been there when they left except for a small capped pipe that stuck out of the ground . This was 15 years ago , technology and environmental safety concerns have advanced tremendously . It is time you and your dimwitted friends in the dimocit party to figure a few things out . Your objections and poor ideas are grossely outdated . Give it up , this country is going to continue to progress and will move on without you .
Oh , and by the way , changing the definition of words like gay and marriage is not progression it is digression .

sitarro said:
You know "it" ,
I am originally from Louisiana where drilling went on all around where we lived , especially in the 70s . You could drive for a few miles and count 10 drilling rigs . I can't think of any disasters created there . I lived in the country for awhile and watched a rig that was located across the bayou from the property I was on . Sure there was some noise but overall it wasn't a big deal . There were no smells , no evidence that they had been there when they left except for a small capped pipe that stuck out of the ground . This was 15 years ago , technology and environmental safety concerns have advanced tremendously .

Were local people able to get jobs working the "rigs" (as we called it in Alberta)?

Itsthetruth said:
I take it from your post that unemployment is a serious problem in Alaska and I'm sorry to hear that.

However, could you please indicate how much of a yearly dividend you have received for Alaskan oil exploration and how much do you expect it to increase once ANWR oil production is up and running.

Thanks.

I think I bring some insight into this question. I am one of the few black sheep in a long line of Irish Catholic liberal Democrats. Liberals are missing something. It is the humility to ask oneself, "Who am I to say this thing? Do I have anything approaching the requisite standing to gangster my ignorant, arrogant worldview onto anyone, anywhere? Do I know the first thing about everyday people and their lives"?

Who are you, Itsthetruth, to demand facts and figures from Stephanie? It is no great accomplishment for those of us living comfortably in the lower forty-eight to demand that the world revolve around our ersatz love for seals and whales. Why don't YOU try carving a living out of the wilderness before you pass your lazy pronouncements?

Stephanie owes you nothing.

musicman said:
Who are you, Itsthetruth, to demand facts and figures from Stephanie? Stephanie owes you nothing.

You call the following a demand? "could you please indicate how much of a yearly dividend you have received for Alaskan oil exploration and how much do you expect it to increase once ANWR oil production is up and running.
Thanks."

If you had actually read my post, before commenting on it, you would know that I made a very simple and friendly request, hardly a demand.

I'd like to ask you what you meant by your post, but I won't, because you'd call it a demand!

I guess that's a new tactic used by some right-wingers who can't back up their little golden nuggets of wisdom with hard facts. It's a convenient cop-out .... that and whining. I sincerely hope that doesn't become your M.O.

Meanwhile please let Stephanie speak for herself. She doesn't need someone to do her talking for her. If she wishes to respond to that simple question (being from Alaska she's much more likely to know the answer to the question than you) she will. If she doesn't answer the question that is also her right. It seems you're demanding that she not respond!

I never make demands of anyone, especially right-wingers. We are suppose to accept their pronouncements as the word of God, without any questions!

Itsthetruth said:
You call the following a demand? "could you please indicate how much of a yearly dividend you have received for Alaskan oil exploration and how much do you expect it to increase once ANWR oil production is up and running.
Thanks."

If you had actually read my post, before commenting on it, you would know that I made a very simple and friendly request, hardly a demand.

I'd like to ask you what you meant by your post, but I won't, because you'd call it a demand!

I guess that's a new tactic used by some right-wingers who can't back up their little golden nuggets of wisdom with hard facts. It's a convenient cop-out .... that and whining. I sincerely hope that doesn't become your M.O.

Meanwhile please let Stephanie speak for herself. She doesn't need someone to do her talking for her. If she wishes to respond to that simple question (being from Alaska she's much more likely to know the answer to the question than you) she will. If she doesn't answer the question that is also her right. It seems you're demanding that she not respond!

I never make demands of anyone, especially right-wingers. We are suppose to accept their pronouncements as the word of God, without any questions!

I'm not trying to speak for Stephanie. I'm talking to you, and I'm telling you that you're arrogant and full of shit.

You couched your demand in nice, gentle words. But, in context, they can only have meant one thing: "Prove your assertion". Stephanie doesn't owe you any proof - she LIVES there. Who the hell are you?

Itsthetruth said:
Ya. China and Japan need the oil and big oil sure needs to boost their profits by selling it in Asia at higher prices than they can charge here.

You don't think any of that oil is coming down to the lower 48 do ya?

Wait. Let me just say that George Bush and the oil companies promise they will not export all that oil to Asia. That ought to be enough to convince ya!

Time to tighten those political blinders and have another drink of that corporate/government kool-aid! Or .... how about a refreshing drink of oil? Add some gasoline and you'll have yourself a tasty molotov cocktail!

Truth knock off the bullshit, read the bill and argue the merits instead of your kneejerk rants. The measure clearly states that ALL oil out of ANWR stays here.

Your conspiracy theories belie(sp?) a lack of intelligence or maybe you are looking for scapegoats to blame for your lack of success in life.

Either way one more post of bullshit like that without supporting facts and your walking papers will be issued.

musicman said:
You couched your demand in nice, gentle words. But, in context, they can only have meant one thing: "Prove your assertion". Stephanie doesn't owe you any proof - she LIVES there. Who the hell are you?

Once again I urge you to read posts before you comment on them. Where in my post did I either demand or suggest that Stephanie prove any claims (assertions) she made in her post. I did not even comment on any of her "assertions"!!!!

I asked a simple question that a resident of Alaska can answer and you can't.
I'm sorry you're not interested in what Stephanie may have to say on Alaskan oil dividends.

I urge you to participate in this discussion rather than nitpick.

Itsthetruth said:
Once again I urge you to read posts before you comment on them. Where in my post did I either demand or suggest that Stephanie prove any claims (assertions) she made in her post. I did not even comment on any of her "assertions"!!!!

I asked a simple question that a resident of Alaska can answer and you can't.
I'm sorry you're not interested in what Stephanie may have to say on Alaskan oil dividends.

I urge you to participate in this discussion rather than nitpick.

Stephanie graciously asked the utopian dreamers in the lower forty-eight to project their romantic fantasies onto someone else, and allow Alaskans to try to eke out a living on their own land. You responded with your oh-so-gently worded "request" for dividend statements and profit projections. You fancy yourself a clever wordsmith, but you're really just a transparent liberal with his head up his ass. Would you like me to participate some more?

musicman said:
You responded with your oh-so-gently worded "request" for dividend statements and profit projections. You fancy yourself a clever wordsmith, but you're really just a transparent liberal with his head up his ass. Would you like me to participate some more?

Yes I would. First could you point out where I asked for oil company profit projections? If you read what I actually wrote you will find that I haven't asked anyone about oil company profit projections. I did ask about oil dividends that she has received and how much more she expects to receive with ANWR.

So far she hasn't responded and she doesn't have to. I thought information on this would give everyone a clearer understanding of her personal motivation for supporting ANWR.

Now if you have some information on what kind of money Alaskans receive in oil dividends and how much that will increase with ANWR please provide that information. Your participation is certainly welcomed by me.

I'm checking around the internet to see if I can get that information. Would you like to help me?

Itsthetruth said:
Yes I would. First could you point out where I asked for oil company profit projections?

Would you be kind enough to point out where I ever said you did? You're trying to get all "wordsmithy" on me, Itt. By "dividend statements and profit projections", I meant that you responded to an Alaskan's request to be left in peace by asking preposterous questions about facts and figures. You can try to doll it up any way you want - you're busted on the substance of your post. But, then, if I pointed out to you that you had a pile of shit in your living room, you'd laugh triumphantly and say, "Ah, but you failed to mention that this particular pile of shit is adorned by a pink ribbon. Therefore, you're wrong!"

musicman said:
Would you be kind enough to point out where I ever said you did? !

No problem. I said I never requested information on oil company profit projections and you wrote: "You responded with your oh-so-gently worded "request" for dividend statements and profit projections."

Now that this matter has been cleared up to everyones satisfaction let's move on.

You seem to be suggesting that Alaskan's are not paid oil dividends and that the payment and promise of higher such dividends with ANWR approval would not impact their view on ANWR? Is that correct? Well, of course you can believe that if you wish. But, do you really believe that?

Itsthetruth said:
No problem. I said I never requested information on oil company profit projections and you wrote: "You responded with your oh-so-gently worded "request" for dividend statements and profit projections."

Now that this matter has been cleared up to everyones satisfaction let's move on.

You seem to be suggesting that Alaskan's are not paid oil dividends and that the payment and promise of higher such dividends with ANWR approval would not impact their view on ANWR? Is that correct? Well, of course you can believe that if you wish. But, do you really believe that?

Please read post #33. Take all the time you need. Move your lips as you read, if it helps you.

I dont think we have done all we can to reduce our need and consumption for oil....thus I do not think we are really justified to expand our drilling to satisfy an insatiable appetite. Sell your SUV and demand alternative energy programs.

sagegirl said:
I dont think we have done all we can to reduce our need and consumption for oil....thus I do not think we are really justified to expand our drilling to satisfy an insatiable appetite. Sell your SUV and demand alternative energy programs.

I believe the demand for renewable sources has been made and heard. R&D for hydrogen is going ahead. That doesn't address the immediate problem of dependence, there are no reasons NOT to develop sources within our borders.

Forum List

Back