YAY!! Let's drill in Alaska!! :) woot!

Itsthetruth said:
So that's the most persuasive argument you can make against Alaskan's who oppose ANWR is that they are "full of bs"? That's the very best you can do?

What a powerful rebuttal!!!! Well, you may or may not live in Alaska, I could say I live at the North Pole, but are you really not dependent on that oil dividend to get by? Are you also hoping to get a "good" job in the Arctic Circle if ANWR is actually explored?

Just a few simple questions. You don't have to answer them of course. As you know, I don't make demands on other posters.

Hey it,
Why don't you admit that the only reason you are against ANWR is that the Republicans are for it . You are just another of the asswipes that follow the democrat herd . You are even assinine enough to critisize Ann Coulter's looks (exceptionally good looking IMO) rather than her writing , you are obviously a Pacifica radio clone. . . pathetic . Do you actually think you have a point? How about the bullshit with the unions , the oilfield has always been a right to work group and couldn't give a crap about some ass union . Unions are useless , they put more businesses out of business by not allowing them to compete on the world stage . You pussies want to keep jobs in the U.S. but you also want some high school dropout to make 29 dollars an hour to turn a screw , that demonstrates how little you know about business and also how entrenched you are in the herd mentality. You can only push the person that has everything on the line (business owner) so far before they say screw it , I'm moving my business to China where there aren't any union ripoffs.
I see that the authorities just caught another member of the democrat party base in Georgia , he kidnapped and murdered an innocent nine year old girl . . . this is the garbage your party appeals to . . . this is who the Hillary Clintons want to make sure has the right to vote . . . you people are shit !(human waste)

sagegirl said:
The advance of civilization is inevitable.....it comes with benefits and with disadvantages. What we take from a native, indigenous people when we "civilize" them is their traditions, culture and way of living. Often they are left standing with little or nothing of the structure that supported their culture for centuries. Many Eskimo tribes noted a rise in alcoholism when their need to hunt was opted out for store bought goods and instead of being out on the hunt they were inside watching TV and drinking. Too bad, but they have to be brought into the 21st century with all it woes and contradictions. No easy solution here.
I would like to see ANWR remain as pristine as we can possibly allow it, just for its own sake.
And to address the use of derogatory slang, there is plenty too much of it slung around here. I think personally you just have to consider the source and carry on. To make it too much of an "issue" only empowers those who choose to use it to express themselves.

Poor Little Sage ,
You will probably never see the pristine wilderness known as ANWR . Not only is it an incredible pain in the ass to get there , when you do arrive there is nothing there . . . . This ain't Yosemite. Anything the oil guys are going to need will be brought there . The very small area that will be drilled on is nothing but frozen tundra in winter and mosquito infested swamp in summer . What is it you want to hold on to? Do you know anything about drilling for oil? Have you ever actually seen an oil drilling operation in person ? It isn't a big deal , really . Yes they will have to put some pipe there and a pumping and shipping facility but it won't be the sprawling refinery that you are no doubt picturing .
Try doing some independent research rather that buying everything that dolt Al Franken tells you.

Itsthetruth said:
And what about those large numbers of Alaskans (a 25% minority) who oppose ANWR?

Great question ITT... how about the 57% of those who opposed CLinton in the 1992 election? Oh, wait, they still had to DEAL WITH IT, because that's the system of government we live under. And it's the exact same with ANWR. The majority of Alaskans - and a majority of Senators - favor drilling in ANWR.

sitarro said:
Poor Little Sage ,
You will probably never see the pristine wilderness known as ANWR . Not only is it an incredible pain in the ass to get there , when you do arrive there is nothing there . . . . This ain't Yosemite. Anything the oil guys are going to need will be brought there . The very small area that will be drilled on is nothing but frozen tundra in winter and mosquito infested swamp in summer . What is it you want to hold on to? Do you know anything about drilling for oil? Have you ever actually seen an oil drilling operation in person ? It isn't a big deal , really . Yes they will have to put some pipe there and a pumping and shipping facility but it won't be the sprawling refinery that you are no doubt picturing .
Try doing some independent research rather that buying everything that dolt Al Franken tells you.

Prisitine as in untouched or unspoiled. I have not been to the ANWR but I dont have to go and see it to know the value of wilderness. To know that it is there, is enough. I somewhat understand the level of impact that drilling for oil will have on the region.....you trivialize it, I dont. And Al Franken is not my man, I probably coudnt pick him out of a crowd. Its wierd how often some of you assume we get our opinions from some media guru.....not true!!!!!, so I already know YOU have misinformation in your head coming from somewhere?????????? :blah2:

sagegirl said:
Prisitine as in untouched or unspoiled. I have not been to the ANWR but I dont have to go and see it to know the value of wilderness. To know that it is there, is enough. I somewhat understand the level of impact that drilling for oil will have on the region.....you trivialize it, I dont. And Al Franken is not my man, I probably coudnt pick him out of a crowd. Its wierd how often some of you assume we get our opinions from some media guru.....not true!!!!!, so I already know YOU have misinformation in your head coming from somewhere?????????? :blah2:

Honestly though, sagegirl - which do you think is more important: That you know that the pristine wilderness is there, or that the person actually living there - and obliged to carve some sort of living out of that wilderness - is allowed to do so? I'd say his need to live trumps your fanciful love for a pristine wilderness you'll never see.

sagegirl said:

I dont need to see it to know the value of wilderness either. It aint worth anything if no one uses it.

musicman said:
Honestly though, sagegirl - which do you think is more important: That you know that the pristine wilderness is there, or that the person actually living there - and obliged to carve some sort of living out of that wilderness - is allowed to do so? I'd say his need to live trumps your fanciful love for a pristine wilderness you'll never see.

Indigenous people lived throughout the Americas for thusands of years with little impact on the ecology....they were a part of the ecology, it is industrialized society carving out a living using the land and resources that has caused the problems of pollution, etc. Indigenous people have had a hard time adapting the traditions that sustained them for thousands of years into workable solutions in the present. We as a nation have shown respect for our beautiful land by setting aside Nat'l Parks and Reserves in an attempt to preserve some of it undisturbed (or at least minimize the impact). We have not been so kind to the indigenous people, who you might say were treated with disrespect and indifference. Both sides of this issue are important to me and I cannot really choose one over the other. I think it would be beneficial to consider other options for the people to share in the opportunities that modern society offers. I do not have fanciful or nostalgic concepts of preserving the past....time marches forward. There might be options that should be explored before acting hastily.
A few short stories for examples, Africa, the tribal societies who use to be primarily hunter/gatherers, which switched over to hunting and poaching, now run game preserves and conduct wildlife tours. They have kept some of their heritage and are participating in the present world economy. Another story of central Asia....Im not sure on all the details but the general idea is....a nomadic people were sustaining themselves by hunting a certain goat of buffalo that was quickly diminishing in numbers....they got a small revenue from selling raw wool,..... a group of activist women set them up as a small business which spun the wool, and produced goods from it that were sold on the world market. The products demand high prices and have contributed to the revenues that the people have available for their needs. Again their lifestyle has been somewhat preserved and they are participating in the modern world and living better for it. Another example would be the sports salmon fishing off the Washington coast which suffered from diminshed fish runs and turned some business into whale watching tours etc. There is a great movie, The WEEPING CAMEL, that deals with the headon collision of modern society and traditional indigenous people. MusicM I think you would really like it. So there are ways to turn some situations around, all we need to do is apply ingenuity and have some patience. Sometimes you cannot go back once you have made a decision and we are at a crossroads. I hope the choices we make serve everyone well.

You are adorable sage girl ,
Please tell me that you don't vote . It is so very cute the way you romanticize 5th world living . Everything was so very wonderful in the good old days . You do realize that red meat was the food most sought . And everyone cooperated in a wonderful uncorrupted lifestyle where women were worshipped as supreme goddesses and there was no war or disease . Until the awful white hordes came and destroyed the world . . . it will make a great movie .I'm going to go starve myself for being white , I'm just so ashamed . . . .

sitarro said:
You are adorable sage girl ,
Please tell me that you don't vote . It is so very cute the way you romanticize 5th world living . Everything was so very wonderful in the good old days . You do realize that red meat was the food most sought . And everyone cooperated in a wonderful uncorrupted lifestyle where women were worshipped as supreme goddesses and there was no war or disease . Until the awful white hordes came and destroyed the world . . . it will make a great movie .I'm going to go starve myself for being white , I'm just so ashamed . . . .

I didnt say any of those things ........but I will say I am as white as you are (I assume) and I personally refuse to perpetuate bigotry, oppression, etc., so my conscience isnt bothering me. I try to learn from the mistakes of others and try not to repeat the same old , same old, but to try new ways. I prefer to be idealistic and keep my values high and know REALISTICALLY, that human nature being what it is, we will never get anywhere near perfection, and I dont think thats lifes purpose anyway.
Oh, and by the way, you cant starve yourself......THE GOVERNMENT WONT LET YOU!!!!!!!!!!! So they should be knocking on your door shortly... :slap:

sagegirl said:
I didnt say any of those things ........but I will say I am as white as you are (I assume) and I personally refuse to perpetuate bigotry, oppression, etc., so my conscience isnt bothering me. I try to learn from the mistakes of others and try not to repeat the same old , same old, but to try new ways. I prefer to be idealistic and keep my values high and know REALISTICALLY, that human nature being what it is, we will never get anywhere near perfection, and I dont think thats lifes purpose anyway.
Oh, and by the way, you cant starve yourself......THE GOVERNMENT WONT LET YOU!!!!!!!!!!! So they should be knocking on your door shortly... :slap:

Sure they will----ya just kiss your life insurance goodbye

sagegirl said:

Yes you can, even in protest, it is called a hunger strike.

You can also shoot yourself, drive off of a cliff, hang yourself, jump off of a cliff, take about a billion speeders, take about a billion downers, take a bottle of aspirin climb into a nice warm tub and slice your wrists, immolate yourself using a gallon of gasoline and a match, drink a gallon of anti-freeze (watch out if you don't drink enough you will only end up blind), jump in front of a bus or train or taxi, etc., drink too much alcohol, take a hostage and get into a shoot-out with the cops, and many more choices available to you. The only penalty you will find is that your life insurance will no longer pay, unless you purchased a specific type of insurance but we will not get into that right now. The Government will not stop you if your intent is to kill yourself, unless, of course, you cannot move and are in the hospital then killing yourself is beyond your ability and the Government can step in and take the choice from you.

Forum List

Back