Yankees fire Joe Girardi

Joe Girardi out as Yankees manager

Joe Girardi will not return as the New York Yankees’ manager in 2018, he confirmed in a statement issued to news media outlets on Thursday.

“With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back," Girardi said, confirming reports of his somewhat startling departure.

Ten years is a nice long run. Girardi can get another job. The Yankees could do with some new blood at the helm.

Congratulations Joe! Free of that albatross at last. Oh the shame.

Had a solid core of young players and a lot of money to spend on free agents
Yanks were set to be good for quite a while

The manager is baseball is the most overrated job in sports. They get way to much credit when they win and way too much slack when they lose.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The manager is baseball is the most overrated job in sports. They get way to much credit when they win and way too much slack when they lose.

Agree

Most can be done by computer now with Sabermetrics

Ten years is a nice long run. Girardi can get another job. The Yankees could do with some new blood at the helm.

Makes sense. A team like the Nationals could use such continuity.

Nats have great talent....but they eat up veteran managers and then spit them out after two years

Agree

As Michael Kay alluded to, Sabermetrics/Analytics are great things to help run the sport, and if he owned a team he would 100% use them, but they take all the fun out of the game.

Agree

As Michael Kay alluded to, Sabermetrics/Analytics are great things to help run the sport, and if he owned a team he would 100% use them, but they take all the fun out of the game.

In one sense sabermetrics/analytics are not new if you consider the whole "platoon"mentality. Gene Mauch used to drive me nuts with that shit --- if there was a crucial situation and you had a lefty up who's 16 for his last 18 and leading the league in BA, and the other team brings in a LHP, out he comes for the bench righty hitting .041.

OK I exaggerate. But not by much.

Agree

I'd like to see what would happen if all you had was a computer in the dugout

It would tell you pitch by pitch what your best probabilities are and where you should place your outfielders
Monitor a pitcher on every pitch for velocity and placement and tell you when he should come out and who he should be replaced with

Agree

In one sense sabermetrics/analytics are not new if you consider the whole "platoon"mentality. Gene Mauch used to drive me nuts with that shit --- if there was a crucial situation and you had a lefty up who's 16 for his last 18 and leading the league in BA, and the other team brings in a LHP, out he comes for the bench righty hitting .041.

I miss the old platoons
Have a guy who faces righties and another who faces lefties

Agree

They may not be new, but the slavish devotion to them certainly is. Maybe the math geeks have gotten their revenge by finally ruining a major sport for everyone.

Agree

I'd like to see what would happen if all you had was a computer in the dugout

It would tell you pitch by pitch what your best probabilities are and where you should place your outfielders
Monitor a pitcher on every pitch for velocity and placement and tell you when he should come out and who he should be replaced with

So when the ump makes a bad strike call someone just throws the computer at them?

Agree

They may not be new, but the slavish devotion to them certainly is. Maybe the math geeks have gotten their revenge by finally ruining a major sport for everyone.

Trust me, nobody was more slavishly devoted to a theory, at least that one, than Gene Mauch.

Forum List

Back