WTF? Im befuddled over this

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Imnukingfutz, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Imnukingfutz

Imnukingfutz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Chinese wind farm group to sue Obama - FT.com

This part I get -
    This part I do not -
    The President thinks he has the power to not only make anyone sell their property at his whim and without reason, but he believes he has the power to force interviews with employees and inspect their records and computers?

When did he become dictator Obama?

I know he has absolutely no care for the Constitution or its laws he swore to uphold, but to me this has gone too far.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592

He does have the Constitutional power because Congress gave it to him decades ago. The law under which this action was taken has been on the books for many, many years and was last used by G.H.W. Bush to deny the Chinese ownership of an American company.

The issue isn't private property rights, but national security and this President, or ANY President, is tasked by Congress to prevent such as this on the recommendation of the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States. The Committee recommended the President deny that Chinese company the right to build their wind farm in such close proximity to a naval weapons development facility near Boardman, OR and he acted upon that recommendation.

There's nothing illegal or un-Constitutional about it and nothing which indicates he's become a "dictator." He's simply following the law and protecting our vital national interests.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. idb

idb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,805
    Awwwww...now look what you've gone and done!
    You've wrecked his thread!

4. Imnukingfutz

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I understand the point where he can deny them the ability to build the wind farm, I dont like that our President has that power, but he does.
    Also already understood is his ability to do so via Congressional approval.

What I do NOT get is how he is able to force them to sell the land, with NO reasoning given, especially within a specified timeline, That violates property ownership rights....and force them to turn over records and computers to the government for inspection ....that violates the 4th Amendment.....or how he is able to force employees for an interview. THATS where I have the issue. Thats where he is acting like a Dictator.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592

That too is within his legal powers. He's done nothing illegal, though that company certainly does have the right to challenge the law and his actions. In the end, the courts will determine whether or not he can do that.

6. Imnukingfutz

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Maybe by telling them they - a foreign nationally owned company - cant build a wind farm there...I dont like it but it is what it is...OK

But to demand they sell their land and turn over all of their computers and documents & demand interviews from their employees...just by exec. order....I think not.

7. Shelzin

Shelzin Equal Opportunity Asshole

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Well... I don't think so.

See... Chinese are a communist society/government. Meaning nobody really owns anything, it's just on loan from the government. So at any time the Chinese could just... Ok... I own that. The individual who built it, or was in the dealings with buying it... Whatever... Has no real rights... And if the US government doesn't want the Chinese government to own land in the US... I don't have problem with that. Nor do I have a problem with it the other way around.

Now if the land was sold to a Canadian, Australian, or any European individual who's country respects property laws to individuals... That makes sense to sue the government. A country doesn't own it... A person does.

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    have you heard of imminent domain laws?

do you think they are unconstitutional?

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    This kind of action by Obama proves its NICE to have a constitutional scholar as president

10. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    first of all, its eminent domain, and second, the government has to have a compelling public use or improvement to public good planned for said land before it can compel a sale.