wtf how do republicans explain this one?

I was at a BP gas station today and the cashier was loudly claiming to a customer friend of hers that of course BP wasn't at fault...it was all the fault of Haliburton.

:eusa_eh:

That cashier should be subpoenaed!!!

Senate Republicans block BP investigation | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Senate Republicans recently blocked a bill that would give the presidential commission investigating the BP oil spill full subpoena powers in order to protect their pals in the oil industry.

how the fuck do they explain this?

Because it would have given the President subpoena powers, a power the President does NOT have under our Constitution -FOR A REASON!!! Investigations are NOT the responsibility of the Executive branch but of the LEGISLATIVE branch. Are you liberals always in the habit of expanding the powers of the President like that? How about when its a Republican in the White House who wants to usurp the role of Congress and conduct their own investigations and demands subpoena powers for it? Going to squeal like a little girl when Democrats block that -because I assure they would! Good way to set the groundwork for a dictatorship though -toss out the Constitutional limitations on a President and allow him to start usurping the powers of the other branches of government and the hell with checks-and-balances, huh.

Now EXACTLY WHAT do you think Obama could accomplish in an investigation that would turn out any differently from that conducted by Congress? Subpoena powers of our government are USELESS against foreigners living in another country who can just say "NO THANKS" - and already did to Congress and would have said the same to Obama as well.

And I say THANK GOD someone has kept their heads on their shoulders and realized nothing of any good would be accomplished by allowing Obama to usurp the powers of another branch of government and that it had the potential to result in great harm to our own system of government - and told him NO.

It must suck to be a liberal because liberals are typically an "ends justifies the means" person. If you like the presumed goal, then whatever someone claims is necessary to achieve it is fine by a liberal. But you'd think having seen how often it requires just this mentality of the "ends justifies the means" for the total perversion of good to produce evil over and over and over in man's history that you'd develop the critical thinking skills to re-think that one. But......no. The President does not have subpoena powers under our Constitution and thanks to Republicans -he still doesn't.

Last edited:

Senate Republicans recently blocked a bill that would give the presidential commission investigating the BP oil spill full subpoena powers in order to protect their pals in the oil industry.

omg.gif
Republicans are like Kryptonite. How else could they block SuperObamaMan's superpowers?

BTW, Kryptonite never explains itself. It just IS...

ObamaSuperman.jpg

yeah, its astounding that 41 republicans can stop everything but 49 democrats were railroaded

:eusa_whistle:

This event happened July 1 !!!! The Dems introduced a bill and wanted an immediate voice vote. Some Republicans feared the Dems were trying to ram thru some sneaky legistration and wanted time to read the bill. They would not allow the immediate voice vote but the next day passed the bill with no problem. So two months later, with most every issue going badly for the Dems they dredge up half a story and don't tell you the whole story. This is a non-story and an attempt to decieve you by the Democrats.

why is the video so heavily edited....

I am not sure. this whole thing is weird, I just found out its about a month old and there was no stories on it then but now all sorts of sites are linking to it and talking about it.... weird

its almost 2 months old...and all i can find about this is from left wing sites...

i'll wait until i get more info

The whole "investigation" thing was dropped when Obama got BP to agree to a $20 billion escrow account to assist Gulf businesses that suffered losses. The thinking was why risk that BP would have to spend money for legal fees from that account? That said, I still don't think BP will be completely off the hook in any event. They're already trying to figure out how to stop BP from spending over a million per week on those TV ads in our faces every 10 minutes.

Senate Republicans block BP investigation | MNN - Mother Nature Network[/url]

A "Presidential commission" should not have such power over citizens.
You'd best review just who BP is "buddies" with; I'd recomment starting with the release of the Lockerbie bomber, with the tacit approval of the current POTUS.

Boedicca, issat you? Huh...if you can get a second handle, I wonder if I can too.

Senate Republicans block BP investigation | MNN - Mother Nature Network[/url]

A "Presidential commission" should not have such power over citizens.
You'd best review just who BP is "buddies" with; I'd recomment starting with the release of the Lockerbie bomber, with the tacit approval of the current POTUS.

Of course the release of the Lockerbie bomber is not the jurisdiction of the U.S. government so it doesn't matter whether Obama approves of it or not.

And by the same logic, BP is a foreign corporation so how much jurisdiction would the US Justice Department have over it anyway?

do you have a link to the bill and the individual votes...

something seems off....the house its 420-1...and the is senate is that different..

It was actually blocked by Issa, and no one seems to know why, including him. The block has been lifted, and the final vote should be soon.

Glad to see not everyone here reacts with typical partisanship.

It was probably blocked by Issa until he realized if the Republicans take control of the House, he'll be the new Chairman of the Oversight Committee replacing Henry Waxman. The pubs are much more optimistic now than they were back in June.

txlonghorn said:
Why would I have to agree with you that the GOP is doing something good only because an election is coming up? Especially since it appears that they are poised for a GREAT election cycle. What an absurd claim. Please refrain from accusing republicans of "screwing" this country after an election...you're reading from your own playbook. As soon as Bamabooey took office, he put on his favorite strap on and immediatley instructed this country to bend over and take it like a 3rd world country.

I suggest you educate yourself on what it's really like to live in a third world country. God I hate stupidity...

First, only because an election is looming would the GOP do anything to actually help America. Even you have to admit that. Once that election is over, the GOP will once again screw this country. Like always.

Second, where did I lie? Don't come back without proving I lied.

Why would I have to agree with you that the GOP is doing something good only because an election is coming up? Especially since it appears that they are poised for a GREAT election cycle. What an absurd claim. Please refrain from accusing republicans of "screwing" this country after an election...you're reading from your own playbook. As soon as Bamabooey took office, he put on his favorite strap on and immediatley instructed this country to bend over and take it like a 3rd world country.

At this point, I would be happy with the right naming a single piece of legislation during that last 10 years that DIDN'T screw the country. Just one.

Only one?

Unfunded tax breaks
Unfunded wars
Unfunded education (NCLB)
Unfunded Prescription drug coverage

Senate Republicans cannot stop anything.

:eusa_shhh: Don't point out facts to the terminally stupid. It makes their brains hurt.

They manage to do quite well with their filibuster power. How many more lost a home to foreclosure as the last resort while they diddled over extending unemployment benefits and no unemployment checks came for two weeks? Shit like that is going to come back to bite them, trust me.

Because it would have given the President subpoena powers, a power the President does NOT have under our Constitution -FOR A REASON!!! Investigations are NOT the responsibility of the Executive branch but of the LEGISLATIVE branch. Are you liberals always in the habit of expanding the powers of the President like that? How about when its a Republican in the White House who wants to usurp the role of Congress and conduct their own investigations and demands subpoena powers for it? Going to squeal like a little girl when Democrats block that -because I assure they would! Good way to set the groundwork for a dictatorship though -toss out the Constitutional limitations on a President and allow him to start usurping the powers of the other branches of government and the hell with checks-and-balances, huh.

Now EXACTLY WHAT do you think Obama could accomplish in an investigation that would turn out any differently from that conducted by Congress? Subpoena powers of our government are USELESS against foreigners living in another country who can just say "NO THANKS" - and already did to Congress and would have said the same to Obama as well.

And I say THANK GOD someone has kept their heads on their shoulders and realized nothing of any good would be accomplished by allowing Obama to usurp the powers of another branch of government and that it had the potential to result in great harm to our own system of government - and told him NO.

It must suck to be a liberal because liberals are typically an "ends justifies the means" person. If you like the presumed goal, then whatever someone claims is necessary to achieve it is fine by a liberal. But you'd think having seen how often it requires just this mentality of the "ends justifies the means" for the total perversion of good to produce evil over and over and over in man's history that you'd develop the critical thinking skills to re-think that one. But......no. The President does not have subpoena powers under our Constitution and thanks to Republicans -he still doesn't.

The Bush/Cheney executive branch were warned as they attempted to establish more and more unconstitutional powers that eventually might be used by an opposition party occupying the Executive Branch. Not that any of it is "right," but they should have been more careful what they wished for themselves.

Power Surge: The Constitutional Record of George W. Bush | Gene Healy and Tim Lynch | Cato Institute: White Paper

The same way they explain voting against tax breaks for small business...

They claim that they cannot vote for a bill if they cannot first modify it to suit their taste.

How about posting all of the story and the final outcome rather than some liberal spin?

According to a DeMint aide, he happened to be on the floor when a Democratic Senator introduced the bill for a voice vote. DeMint was told by GOP leadership aides to hold up the bill because leadership hadn't had a chance to read it, the DeMint aide says.

But now that the leadership has read the bill and decided it has no objections, it will move forward if a Dem asks again for it to be passed by unanimous consent.

Give it up Libs, you suck and will be voted out because of it.

It's real funny to sit back and read all the squawk box liberals ranting on and cackling about something that isn't even the thruth. Do you halfwits ever get your facts straight?

It's real funny to sit back and read all the squawk box liberals ranting on and cackling about something that isn't even the thruth. Do you halfwits ever get your facts straight?

Beyond random chance.

Forum List

Back