wtf how do republicans explain this one?

Senate Republicans cannot stop anything.

Except they've managed to stop nearly everything. Think about how they are able to do that.

If they are able to stop anything it is because the Democrats lacked the will to pass it.

It's an arduous task to stop a filibuster, which the Republicans have used as a common method to block debate on any controversial bill. And yes, the Democrats have used the filibuster too.

Except they've managed to stop nearly everything. Think about how they are able to do that.

If they are able to stop anything it is because the Democrats lacked the will to pass it.

It's an arduous task to stop a filibuster, which the Republicans have used as a common method to block debate on any controversial bill. And yes, the Democrats have used the filibuster too.
not when there are only 41 GOP in the senate and at least 3 of them willing to work with the dems

In this case it was used only to slow things down and give time to actually read the legislation before the vote....What a concept....

Majority Party Successful Filibusters Average Percentage of National Population Represented Do Opponents of Filibuster Represent National Majority?

Democrat 63 Opponents of Filibuster: 59% Yes: 97%
Supporters of Filibuster: 41% No: 3%

Republican 89 Opponents of Filibuster: 50% Yes: 36%
Supporters of Filibuster: 50% No: 64%

Data from 1991-2008. All figures are rounded to the nearest whole number. "Successful filibusters" are defined as cloture votes in which there were more than 50 but less than 60 yea votes, with repeated votes on the same measure at the same procedural stage excluded.

What do these calculations reveal? First, over the past two decades or so, the senators who successfully filibustered something represented about 46 percent of Americans on average. Yes, that is a minority—but it is a far cry from the nightmare scenarios sometimes deployed by opponents of the filibuster, who worry that as little as 11 percent or 12 percent of the country could obstruct popular legislation. Since 1991, in fact, there have been only four filibusters—0.03 percent of the total—that thwarted senators representing more than 65 percent of the American people.

Why the filibuster is OK for Democrats but not for Republicans. - By Ben Eidelson - Slate Magazine

wtf how do republicans explain this one?

The simple answer is, "they don't".

Look at Halliburton.

Thousands of Americans lose their retirement and life savings. The first thing out of Bush mouth was "they are innocent".

Halliburton has received more than 20 billion dollars in American money from the US since 2003 in no-bid contracts from the Republicans. See how it works? Halliburton rips off Americans and then those same Americans pay Halliburton even MORE. The very people that were ripped off.

Republicans protected and helped this corporation. Worse, most of those that got fucked by Halliburton, will now fuck the country by voting Republican. Isn't that hilarious?

Worst, Halliburton is all tied up with BP. Halliburton and BP fuck Americans, but Republicans do it by proxy, using Halliburton and BP.

---------------------------------------

The Securities & Exchange Commission is already investigating accounting practices at Halliburton. The company has said it is cooperating with the probe but believes it did nothing wrong.

Cheney was chairman and chief executive of Halliburton from 1995 to 2000.

Jennifer Millerwise, a Cheney spokeswoman, said: "This is a case without merit" -- a line echoed by White House spokesman Ari Fleischer.

The suit was filed a day after President Bush called for higher ethical standards for corporations, stricter laws against abuses and more responsible business leaders Tuesday in the shadow of corporate misdeeds by Enron, WorldCom and other major companies.

CNN.com - Suit accuses Cheney, firm of fraudulent accounting - July 11, 2002

---------------------------------

News Flash:

Republicans win House and Senate - middle class Americans get royally screwed.

Oops, that was "Enron" the Republicans blocked here.

Republicans blocked investigation of Halliburton in Iraq.

I get my criminal institutions mixed up. One thing NOT mixed up, if a corporation commits crimes, Republicans will defend them.

Senate Republicans block BP investigation | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Senate Republicans recently blocked a bill that would give the presidential commission investigating the BP oil spill full subpoena powers in order to protect their pals in the oil industry.

how the fuck do they explain this?

How about posting all of the story and the final outcome rather than some liberal spin?

According to a DeMint aide, he happened to be on the floor when a Democratic Senator introduced the bill for a voice vote. DeMint was told by GOP leadership aides to hold up the bill because leadership hadn't had a chance to read it, the DeMint aide says.

But now that the leadership has read the bill and decided it has no objections, it will move forward if a Dem asks again for it to be passed by unanimous consent.

Give it up Libs, you suck and will be voted out because of it.

why would you believe anything DeMint says? He always delays things with pithy little excuses like that... same as he held up the appointment of the TSA head.

and perhaps you might want to pass on talkng about 'lib spin' with that type of vituperation. :)

How about posting all of the story and the final outcome rather than some liberal spin?

According to a DeMint aide, he happened to be on the floor when a Democratic Senator introduced the bill for a voice vote. DeMint was told by GOP leadership aides to hold up the bill because leadership hadn't had a chance to read it, the DeMint aide says.

But now that the leadership has read the bill and decided it has no objections, it will move forward if a Dem asks again for it to be passed by unanimous consent.

why would you believe anything DeMint says? He always delays things with pithy little excuses like that... same as he held up the appointment of the TSA head.

and perhaps you might want to pass on talkng about 'lib spin' with that type of vituperation. :)

The fact still remains the republicans were are open to revote on it. They have stated they have no objections having had the opportunity to read it.

The fact still remains the republicans were are open to revote on it. They have stated they have no objections having had the opportunity to read it.

Exactly, Given this congresses record on voting on things that were unread and in at least one case not even assembled yet, this is nothing more than slowing things down to give the people who have to make a decision time to make that decision. It's the way things should be done. I do not vote on issues I haven't read... I would hope none of the rest of you would either.

Trusting that politicans will do what they promise or say is moving up on my list for the definition of stupid.

Yup, there are no Democrat investors of Halliburton or BP, and they never used their services.........

and no Democrats ever voted with the GOP..............

where were we? Oh ya, the nation is in the dumper, and fading fast..........

In this case it was used only to slow things down and give time to actually read the legislation before the vote....What a concept....

It wasn't a policy bill, just one that would give the Executive Branch subpoena power IF they choose to investigate shoddy practices by BP. It's a mere formality. Frankly, I don't want an investigation right now of BP because I want that $20 billion to stay put and any potential litigation that could shake it loose and not go to the people of the Gulf for retribution shouldn't even be an issue.

Well what do you expect them to say as an excuse? Yes, we held up that vote too just because we can.

Well what do you expect them to say as an excuse? Yes, we held up that vote too just because we can.
yeah, cause clearly they lied when they said they wanted time to READ IT

:rolleyes:

yeah, cause clearly they lied when they said they wanted time to READ IT

:rolleyes:

I can't even find any reference to this bill to see when it was introduced, or anything else for that matter, although I confess I'm not going to spend a whole lotta time on it.

All Bills: 111th Congress - OpenCongress

Wrong choice of words there counselor. Pithy! Short, sweet and to the point.

I expect them to be given time to read what they are about to vote on.

Since you repeated your comment, to which I responded, I'll repeat that response:

I can't even find any reference to this bill to see when it was introduced, or anything else for that matter, although I confess I'm not going to spend a whole lotta time on it.

I'd like to read it too, and I'd also like to see the timeframe. They sure got outta Dodge on time for a month's vacation, didn't they... I wonder if that's enough time to "read' important stuff.

Since you repeated your comment, to which I responded, I'll repeat that response:

I'd like to read it too, and I'd also like to see the timeframe. They sure got outta Dodge on time for a month's vacation, didn't they... I wonder if that's enough time to "read' important stuff.
How do democrats explain Obama wanting to give additional tax breaks to business?

[...]It was actually blocked by Issa, and no one seems to know why, including him.

[...]
That is precisely comparable to a man seducing a thirteen year-old girl and no one knows why he did it, including him.

Darryl Issa is a corrupt, sneaking sonofabitch. That's why he blocked the BP probe bill.

Forum List

Back