Wrestling with God...

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Blackrook, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Blackrook

Blackrook Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,739
    I believe in God as much as I always have, but I seldom pray, and I very infrequently attend Mass on Sunday.

My problems with God are twofold:

1) My life has been a series of disappointments and I blame God for it.

2) The pedophilia scandal has dampened my enthusiasm for the Catholic Church.

I believe the universe couldn't have gotten here by random happenstance, so I believe in a God who created it.

But it is hard to believe in the loving God Christ described, the entity who will make sure you never want for anything and will open doors if you knock.

The best description for me is "disillusioned."

I have read biographies of the saints, and I know many of them had "dry" periods filled with doubt, but they somehow plowed through it and hung onto their faith.

Is this my "dry" period?

And if so, how do I get "wet" again?

2. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,200
    Just to you, or to everyone who knows you as well?

3. Blackrook

Blackrook Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,739
    You're on ignore, fncceo. I don't know why they gave me an option to look at your "ignored content" but I'm not going to.

4. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,200
    I'll get over it. One day at a time.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
  5. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Look at statistics for pedophilia. Not one group is exempt. Not our dads, our grandparents, our doctors, lawyers, clergy, teachers, coaches. Are instances in the Catholic priesthood higher? No. They are lower, which all Catholics will agree is still too high. Next, did Judas betrayal dampen early Christianity? Judas represents 1/12 or eight percent of the Apostles. It is under three percent for pedophilia, which is still less than other groups. Again, the number should be zero, but then shouldn't that have been the number of apostles who betrayed Jesus?

Mankind is not perfect, and we all live among imperfect people in an imperfect world. Remember, both knocking and persistence. In one instance it took ten years for a door to open; in another four years--but when it did...then, in hindsight, I was able to see how God had been working in my life to create the gift(s) for which I had been beseeching Him.

If you truly don't feel up to attending Sunday Mass, may I suggest daily Mass? If this doesn't work for you, my final suggestion is to go to the usccb Daily Readings and Reflection Videos. These videos are a two-to-three minute commentary on the readings, and some touch my heart and inspire me and what I am doing throughout the day.

6. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,269
    It took me a while to realize that a burger flipper wasn't my profession but for 2 straight years out of high school, I became a professional. Then I woke up and realized that this wasn't my gift given to me by God, but something better. I was gifted with hands that could repair the avionics of Aircraft. I worked on A-10s, HH-1H, F-15s and F-16s and not only was I good, but I was great at it. There is something for you out there, it may take some time, but eventually you will find it, unless you fall for Lucifer and take the easy way out and stop trying. Oprah had her gift, Morgan Freeman, his voice was his gift. Eli Manning had his gift. Just keep looking for it, it will find you eventually.

7. JGalt

JGalt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,244
    You could always convert to Judaism and move to a kibbutz in Israel :04:.

8. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,269
    It was the intention of liberalism to have homosexuals be instilled into the Catholic Church. It was religious bigotry to ban queers from participating in the religious rites. So the church(which Lucifer has gotten hold of) allowed these fudge packing men in, and they have sinned, while the religious leaders looked away. The Commie bouncer from Latin America, has done nothing to stop the corruption, but then again this is Lucifer's way to have people turn away from God.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Blackrook

Blackrook Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,739
    I understand that the pedophilia problem has been overstated by the media, but the fact remains that the bishops' first impulse was to cover up these crimes, transfer the priests to another parish, and pay off the parents to buy their silence. We Catholics were aware this was happening a long time before the outside world became aware of it. They would send the priest to a retreat where he would be "cured" through prayer and counseling. The problem is, there is no way to "cure" a pedophile.

10. Blackrook

Blackrook Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,739
    It sounds ridiculous when you state it in those turns, but I do believe that Satan is real, and that he attacks the Catholic Church as his number one enemy here on Earth.