When a Dungeon Master makes an adventure he puts in monsters...

...without the monsters, there would be no game.
Not. . . necessarily. . . so.

Dungeons can still be entirely constructed of mazes, traps. . . and puzzles with hidden clues.

albeit these would be a lot more boring, not so exciting, but. . . you don't need monsters.

By the players actions, THEY can be the one to call into existence by accident demons, by preforming certain actions, they can release spirits, or or in other ways cause the growth of monsters. The DM doesn't need to be the one to create the monster, just create the conditions to cause the players to make them trough their actions.

The point is, no one could make an adventure that was at all interesting without SOMETHING to oppose the player characters.

The point is, no one could make an adventure that was at all interesting without SOMETHING to oppose the player characters.
Why it is interesting to kill monsters in games? Because we were created to fight monsters in the "real life". Those, who were not interested in killing monsters - did not survived long enough, you know. Same way, "real life" is a safe and pleasant way to be prepared for the futher etheral life. You should not afraid toys on a table (they can not bite you), same way you should not afraid Russians or Talibs (all they can is to kill your body), same way, you should not afraid demons or anything else, that you can meat in the afterlife (they can not harm your soul if you really don't want it).

Last edited:
Dungeon Master?

So you're like 12 then?
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say.

I have played role playing games for more than 30 years. I play Savage Worlds with my son and his friends on Saturday. I'd invite you to join, but role playing is a hobby for intelligent people.

I believe this is how, God, as in the God of the Old Testament, and whatnot is depicted in some scenarios, essentially a "dungeon master" or architect of the universe, both the "good and the ill", such as in Job and other verses.

When, for example "God" sends an "evil spirit", or when Satan is depected as his 'helper', this is not because God is on the "side" of evil, but rather the architect of everything, both the "good" and the "evil"; for without the "evil" (or antagonism to evil), there could likewise be no "good".

If those who are "good" have to deal with the "problem of evil", then those who are "evil" have to deal with the "problem of good".

I started out with Napoleonic miniatures, then the Avalon Hill board games, and then the Chivalry and Sorcery rules, then moved quickly on to the economic aspects of historical gaming, which I find much more interesting than orc slaying and the like. Fighting famines and epidemics and robber barons while trying to get crops in is more challenging re medieval settings.

Is it 'evil' to raid your neighbors when your kids are starving to death? A moot point, existentially.

Um, yeah, I think I know where you are going, buddy. So what you are saying is that when God puts awful people in the world, he's just making it "interesting" for us.

That's... um... stupid.

Then again, the God of the Bible often acts like a pimply 14 year old, so you might have a point.

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say.

I have played role playing games for more than 30 years. I play Savage Worlds with my son and his friends on Saturday. I'd invite you to join, but role playing is a hobby for intelligent people.

I used to play RPG's... Then I grew up.

lol no you didn't; you smoked a lot of dope and regressed mentally to about age 6.

lol no you didn't; you smoked a lot of dope and regressed mentally to about age 6.

Naw, man, I didn't. Never smoked dope.

What I did do was joint the army, pursue a professional career and started my own business. Long before all that, I realized there are no Magic Pixies in the sky rolling a 20-sider when you pray to them.

Forum List

Back