Wow, 1984 really WAS the greatest year ever for movies

That's a tough tossup, I'd probably take 1939's three movies (Oz/Wind/Smith) over most of those films though. In terms of amount vs quality, 1984 wins. But if you're talking about classics, 1939 wins.

From 1984, I think Pope of Greenwich Village deserves my praise.

From 1939 Wiz is obvious but Hunchback is particularly brilliant, too.

"Why was I not made of stone like thee?"

Seriously, Charles Laughton delivers that line with such pathos that my eyes still well up when I hear it in my mind's ear.

And I don't think I've seen that movie in fourty years,​

I prefer 1994, which brought us Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Leon (The Professional), The Lion King, The Usual Suspects, and, pretty much, Schindler's List, which was released in December 1993. All seven are listed on IMDb's Top 250, 3 of them are in the Top 10, one of which is the top film on the list (Shawshank Redemption).

Other notable films from the year include the best version of Little Women (Winona Ryder, Claire Danes, Christian Bale), Nell (one of Jodie Foster's most underrated films), Tim Burton's take on Ed Wood starring Johnny Depp in one of his best roles, and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

I'd say late 93 through 94 takes the cake in films.

Last edited:
One of the things I find most heartening about my species is that the ARTS continues to create things that are great every generation.

Today's actors and film makers are as great as ever.

And bear in mind that I truly do love older films, too.

Forum List

Back