Would you buy a sammie from a Wobbly?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
As union elections go, it doesn't get much rarer than what's being served up Friday at nine Minneapolis-area Jimmy John's sandwich shops. About 185 workers are slated to choose whether they want to unionize under the banner of the Industrial Workers of the World. Organized labor is all but unheard of in the fast-food sector; most unions don't even try to make a run at burger or sandwich joints.
Of course, the Industrial Workers of the World isn't exactly a conventional union.

The One Big Union

The election will be held at seven Jimmy John's outlets in Minneapolis and two in St. Louis Park. All are owned by Rob Mulligan and Mike Mulligan, who declined to be interviewed.

Mike Mulligan...where have I heard that name?

AWWWW SHIT!!!!

mikemulliganiv6.jpg

As union elections go, it doesn't get much rarer than what's being served up Friday at nine Minneapolis-area Jimmy John's sandwich shops. About 185 workers are slated to choose whether they want to unionize under the banner of the Industrial Workers of the World. Organized labor is all but unheard of in the fast-food sector; most unions don't even try to make a run at burger or sandwich joints.
Of course, the Industrial Workers of the World isn't exactly a conventional union.

The One Big Union

The wobblies are a world class historical icon. A world treasure. We actually had a local chapter here a decade or two back, until the FBI tried to assassinate the leadership. COINTELPRO was still alive and well as recently as the late 80s.

Their assassination attempt failed, the FBI was defeated in court and forced to pay millions in damages but the leader targeted succumbed to medical problems a few years later.

The IWW rocks!

Probably the only union they could afford. Union dues can be quite stiff. Especially if the pay isn't great.

I would imagine pay is not a big issue there. I am pretty sure the owners are pretty colossal jerks. It requires that kind of personality to get a union going

With a 9.5% unemployment rate, I don't see IWW gaining any ground. Jimmy John's can replace their entire staff tomorrow, ending the vote before it begins.

Organizing workers who do what we all do in our kitchens is futile. Unskilled labor isn't scarce.

With a 9.5% unemployment rate, I don't see IWW gaining any ground. Jimmy John's can replace their entire staff tomorrow, ending the vote before it begins.

Organizing workers who do what we all do in our kitchens is futile. Unskilled labor isn't scarce.

that may be illegal.

Probably the only union they could afford. Union dues can be quite stiff. Especially if the pay isn't great.

I would imagine pay is not a big issue there. I am pretty sure the owners are pretty colossal jerks. It requires that kind of personality to get a union going

Then the owners won't stick around to get shoved by union thugs.

of course they will stick around. who would surrender a fertile business and established market just because your employees demand to bargain collectively.

Do you hate Americans as much as it appears? Or do you just hate folks who don't have money, yet?

WHAT is wrong with you?

that may be illegal.

I believe it is illegal. You can't fire staff for organizing.

however, you are not obliged to negotiate, and if they strike over it, they loose their jobs.

that may be illegal.

I believe it is illegal. You can't fire staff for organizing.

however, you are not obliged to negotiate, and if they strike over it, they loose their jobs.

Is that current? I know Coors did this to his employees in Colorado about 30 years ago.

Forum List

Back