Would the world be better off without religion?

The question is so stupid that only a faith-based-atheist could miss it.

Religion was one of mankinds primary organizing principles...it was mankind's first philosophy, government, and first science.

All those things spring from mankinds religions.

I don't personally believe the world would be better without religion. In most cases the bulk of the world's religions point folks to a higher moral standard. Most religions generally agree with the "golden rule" of treating others as we would like to be treated. In general, most religions try to instill a sense of charity towards them less fortunate. Unfortunately, mankind (whether individually religious or not) has a tendency to ignore these higher standards and, instead, embraces that sense of selfishness and self-centeredness that leads to egotistical spats or outright wars.

Religion (in general) should not be blamed for man's inherent, fallen nature.

God is a human invention. Man wrote the bible and attributed it to the word of god. Morals are human creations. Man wrote the moral code by which humans should live--it's called psychology.

God is a human invention. Man wrote the bible and attributed it to the word of god. Morals are human creations. Man wrote the moral code by which humans should live--it's called psychology.

Says you! But you, like all of mankind, are limited by only a speck of what can or is known about the universe. Your personal opinions have been formed by what little you've seen; what little you've heard; and a handful of influential individuals who are also limited by a tiny speck of what is actually known about the universe and the origins of mankind.

The fact that many of the Bible's prophecies have come to fruition or are coming true as we speak is evidence of its veracity. The fact that many of the ancient, archeological sites (that were once thought to be fictitious) are now being re-discovered lends more evidence that the Bible is more than a "man-made" document or fairytale. It's actually an historic record that can be trusted just as much as any other historical record of its time.

By the way ... humans are a God invention! :)

Last edited:
The fact that many of the Bible's prophecies have come to fruition or are coming true as we speak is evidence of its veracity.
Can you give us examples of prophecies that have come and are coming to fruition, apart from the stories that are built around the contents of the bible and attributed to prophesy?

Would the world be better off without religion? Yes. Because religion forces people to divide their spirituality into little tribal groups who continually fight over territory.

I mean face it.................Jews, Christians and Muslims all believe in the same God, they just fight over how to worship Him.

What Jesus taught in Israel, and what Buddha taught in India are pretty much the same lessons, only they were framed differently to speak to the people they were trying to teach. Buddha said that all people can become a Buddha if they follow the Noble 8 Fold Path. Jesus tried to teach us all that we are all a small piece of God, but we also have to follow a certain path.

What Judaic theology and Taoist philosophy teach are remarkably similar.

We don't need religion, we need spirituality, which tells us all that we need to cooperate.

Religion divides, spirituality unites. One of the best pieces of wisdom that I've ever received was from a friend of mine (who listened to my questions of which dogma to believe), told me to look for the similarities between religions rather than the differences, because I'd get much farther that way.

He was right.

I'm not a human looking for a spiritual experience, but rather I'm a spiritual being having a human experience.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back