Would the GOP be able to continue if it ceased to be the PARTY OF GOD???

Would the GOP be able to continue if it ceased to be the PARTY OF GOD???

• YEP!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Based upon a survey of 35,000 people, The Pew Forum found that 83% of US citizens identify with a religion. More specifically, 78.4% identify with a Christian denomination.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of religious left in this country. This whole notion of the "religious right" and "party of god" is overwhelmingly ridiculous. Which is probably why the leftists and media (redundancy alert) keep pushing it.

Link to Pew Forum research on religion in America, Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

True but you have the people who merely "identify with a religion" and then you have your Koshergirl's who ram it down your throat, insist that you obey their religion, and viciously attack anything and anyone who does not adhere to their dogmatic principles. It's the latter that, I must confess, tend to conglomerate in the ultra-right wing of the GOP and humiliate the rest of us rational, level headed, Republicans.

I know quite a few devoutly religious people on both sides of the political spectrum. I'm just saying that the leftists and media try and make it appear as if only happens in one political party.
You're kidding yourself if you think the Democratic Party courts Christians, as the cons do.

"Goddamn it, John ... the Republicans are selling their soul to win elections ... Mark my word ... if and when these preachers get control of the party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem." -- Barry Goldwater as told to John Dean

Are you fucking kidding me?!

If they dumped the religious right, I would become a member again THAT day!!

It's a dream come true for me.

I have heard this same response & sentiment many times & yet I rarely if ever hear any member of the GOP take them to task about this??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WZlWhQbns]Mr. Conservative: Barry Goldwater vs. the Religious Right - YouTube[/ame]

IMHO the answer is a unequivocal NO.......

If it were not for the religious pandering, & phony promises millions would simply have no reason to support them, especially considering that supporting “the party of God” often goes against their own self interests……..

Thoughts??

RNC: Republican National Committee | RNC: Republican National Committee | GOP

That's odd...I don't see Party of God anywhere on there. Could you point it out for me, please?

kthnxbai.
Anybody else want to give it a try? Bill couldn't come up with anything.
So, nobody can prove this ridiculous contention.

Hmmm. Must be one of those things that "everybody knows".

Actually, nobody can take seriously your claim not to believe it. Not really worth the bother proving something that YOU already know, and are just pretending not to.

I have heard this same response & sentiment many times & yet I rarely if ever hear any member of the GOP take them to task about this??

If you mean Republicans taking the religious right to task, as Goldwater did, I see it all the time on a personal level. You don't see it happen with the elected officials because they view it as political suicide. But when it comes down to the voters...all one has to do is take a close look at USMB and you will see a lot of mainstream Republicans taking our more religiously motivated colleagues to task.

Unfortunately, we have reached a place where the perception of the GOP is such that when you identify yourself as a Republican people assume you are a part of the religious right and as such you endorse all these things that the religious element spews out. When you say "no I don't endorse all that shit" then you become a RINO. Well the reality is that the religious right are the RINOs for endorsing positions that the Republicans party has never been about. If they made up the majority of the party I would say: "ok the party has simply changed and this is what they stand for now". But since they are in reality the vocal minority what we have is a situation where the majority of the party is saying: "will you guys quit trying to hit us over the head with your fucking Bible? You are making us look like a bunch of nut cases."

If you mean Republicans taking the religious right to task, as Goldwater did, I see it all the time on a personal level. You don't see it happen with the elected officials because they view it as political suicide. But when it comes down to the voters...all one has to do is take a close look at USMB and you will see a lot of mainstream Republicans taking our more religiously motivated colleagues to task.

Unfortunately, we have reached a place where the perception of the GOP is such that when you identify yourself as a Republican people assume you are a part of the religious right and as such you endorse all these things that the religious element spews out. When you say "no I don't endorse all that shit" then you become a RINO. Well the reality is that the religious right are the RINOs for endorsing positions that the Republicans party has never been about. If they made up the majority of the party I would say: "ok the party has simply changed and this is what they stand for now". But since they are in reality the vocal minority what we have is a situation where the majority of the party is saying: "will you guys quit trying to hit us over the head with your fucking Bible? You are making us look like a bunch of nut cases."

Good observation.........

I don't see it on a personal level either......... Most of my friends etc are conserv, & many Christian & yet they rarely call out the wackO fringe.......

When I discuss it w/ them, they are usually spot on & uncompromising & yet do not feel compelled to challenge those that continue to push the social agenda.....

Even Pat Robertson has commented on some of these fools going to far & marginalizing themselves.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQ7LaaZsds]Robertson: GOP Base Too Extreme - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
IMHO the answer is a unequivocal NO.......

If it were not for the religious pandering, & phony promises millions would simply have no reason to support them, especially considering that supporting “the party of God” often goes against their own self interests……..

Thoughts??

Your poll is missing an option "The republican party is not the party of god" At least thats not how republicans and conservatives would define the republican party (but your choice exposes something about your personal mindset ;))

For some reason, I think God scoffs at the idea that the Republican Party is his party.

I suspect that if he were not a God of mercy, he'd strike down the OP with a bolt of lightning immediately.

Immie

Good observation.........

I don't see it on a personal level either......... Most of my friends etc are conserv, & many Christian & yet they rarely call out the wackO fringe.......

When I discuss it w/ them, they are usually spot on & uncompromising & yet do not feel compelled to challenge those that continue to push the social agenda.....

Well, you know it's one thing to do it on a message board where you are protected by anonymity. It's another to tell someone there are a flaming idiot to their face, especially in our ultra-politically correct society where one simply doesn't dare tell another person to shut up, you know? Now I call people out on it all the time in person, but I'll be real honest....I have embraced the fact that I am an asshole so I really don't care. :lol:

But I agree that the mainstream Republicans need to make their opinions known far more. I think you see that on USMB a lot but it can be difficult to get the message through above all the racket that the extremists make. And let's be honest...to a lot of people it's more fun to tell Koshergirl what a raving moron she is rather than have a rational discussion with me. KWIM?

Even Pat Robertson has commented on some of these fools going to far & marginalizing themselves.....

I am not a big Robertson fan and I would like to know what comments he is referring to. I agree completely with the premise of his statements in general, however, and think they are very applicable to Santorum and his "dumb fuck comment of the week" trend.

Actually, nobody can take seriously your claim not to believe it. Not really worth the bother proving something that YOU already know, and are just pretending not to.
:lol: It's funny when retards think they can read minds.

"Hmmm. Must be one of those things that 'everybody knows'."

Thanks for simultaneously proving my point and admitting you're incapable of thinking for yourself.

Are you fucking kidding me?!

If they dumped the religious right, I would become a member again THAT day!!

It's a dream come true for me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WZlWhQbns]Mr. Conservative: Barry Goldwater vs. the Religious Right - YouTube[/ame]

The RR is full of nuts that have no issue ignoring the Constitution, just like the left clearly sees the Constitution as a road block to dictatorship.

no one has ever taken the left to task for laws against our freedoms that they have passed.

but that's another thread.

The gop was doing fine and dandy for a LOONNNGGG time.

in the 60's, the left embraced insanity. far far leftist ideas, so the religious moved souly into the gop squeezing out the Constitutional and fiscal conservatives too the point they created independents and libertarians into a significant voting block.

It must be great to run as a democrat. The democrat party believes in nothing and therefore it is immune from criticism regarding morality.

It must be great to run as a democrat. The democrat party believes in nothing and therefore it is immune from criticism regarding morality.

Why is it the government's business to determine morality? I am talking as a Republican here, mind you. Where in the Constitution does it say that it's government's responsibility to promote a moral society? I, for one, think the people can decide for themselves what is moral and what is not.

Why is it the government's business to determine morality? I am talking as a Republican here, mind you. Where in the Constitution does it say that it's government's responsibility to promote a moral society? I, for one, think the people can decide for themselves what is moral and what is not.

Which of our laws cannot be traced to morality?

Immie

Which of our laws cannot be traced to morality?

Immie

Well I suppose if you take the position that acts which deprive others of their rights or causes them harm are immoral (which is a reasonable position) then not very many. But what I mean more specifically is that laws should be limited to those acts. Things such as the Massachusetts "Crimes Against Chastity, Morality, Decency and Good Order" laws, are bullshit. That's not the government's responsibility. Granted those laws have largely been declared unconstitutional, but I use them as an example.

Forum List

Back