Would conscription be beneficial to the nation as a whole?

Lorey-Eileen

Rookie
Nov 29, 2009
When answering please consider economics, social aspects, politics, etc. I believe it would be beneficial, but would really like to hear other's views on this. Your opinion would be most helpful if you are not affiliated with the military, but any thoughts are most appreciated! Thanks!
:eusa_pray:

Why the tiny text? That's damned annoying!

On topic: the only thing I consider is the professionalism of our military - the last thing any professional soldier wants is to have his back defended by someone who doesn't give a shit. So, no. Nothing is more important than the military, a war zone is no place for idiot whiners.

Done fairly?

Univeral conscription could have a positive effect on this society.

But it will never be done fairly.

Why?

Because this society is classist, ergo when we had the draft it fell mostly upon the lower classes to serve in uniform.

Yeah sure.
More FreeDumb is needed.

Attachments

• $emot-jerkit.gif
    $emot-jerkit.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 199

On topic: the only thing I consider is the professionalism of our military - the last thing any professional soldier wants is to have his back defended by someone who doesn't give a shit. So, no. Nothing is more important than the military, a war zone is no place for idiot whiners.

I oppose a draft but your post seems to put down draftees many of whom served extremely honorably in past wars.

A draft done fairly would be a social glue that made all acts of aggression a more democratic choice and consequence. First thing we did at 18 was enroll and everyone felt a part of the country both supportive and critical as well. Many kids today have no sense of responsibility except to the Almighty Buck, the contemporary gawd of America.

A few thoughts: many join to see the world and learn something, many rural places have little opportunity and military service is a way out and up. It is a job for some, for others it is family, it is what you do. Once in, it is a growing experience and you can often tell men who have served as they seem a bit more mature and self reliant. If you are a passive soul then some other services debt may work. But this is America, and our culture is individual freedom, so in the end after being dormant for so long the draft would make the usual American kid more than a bit leery. I know many who married just to stay out even back in a more gungho America. The volunteer army has created a separation of concern, you're death, hmm, tough you joined. That is a harsh way to put it, but certainly it separates conflict and hands it to another.

I wonder if a draft were called for the Iraq Invasion how the response would have gone? DI to young recruit, 'I wanna see assholes and elbows.'

Mass Humanities : Who Wants You? The Draft, National Service and Democracy

POINTER - Journals - 2003 - Vol 29 No. 4 - Conscription And Force Transformation

A draft done fairly would be a social glue that made all acts of aggression a more democratic choice and consequence. ....
Anyone, regardless of their being military or not or even connected to the military, who thinks war has anything but huge consequences is a heartless moron and a sellout to partisan points.

I oppose a draft but your post seems to put down draftees many of whom served extremely honorably in past wars.

Yea, it does. I'm harsh like that. :lol:

But I maintain that conscripts do not make particularly good soldiers - we have a professional military and most military personnel would, I think, prefer it that way. I know that my brothers would not want anyone out with them that was not a professional Marine.

But I maintain that conscripts do not make particularly good soldiers - we have a professional military and most military personnel would, I think, prefer it that way. I know that my brothers would not want anyone out with them that was not a professional Marine.

Draftees would go through the same training as everybody else, they had a draft in ww2 and that seemed to work out well for this nation.

Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) :: VFW Magazine

Retired Army major general Walter L. Stewart, Jr., writing in Military Review in 2006, summed up the contributions of draftees best: “The power of America’s drafted and draft-induced armies defeated fascism and [Japanese] imperialism and maintained the 38th parallel in Korea. It would defeat the North Viet¬nam¬ese Army and Viet Cong in every fight of significance in Vietnam.”

if the rich kids can't get out of it and the kids of politicians who vote on the wars go to the top of the list then yes. otherwise, no, I don't want our poor being forcibly used just to make the politicians and business men more rich than they already are.

I think the draft is one necessary evils of a new world society. I know no one likes to be told what to do but the reality sometimes what needs to be done does not always line up with public opinion. A voluntary army would not have been enough to handle the Germans in WWII. But I think the problem lies in the reasons we go to war in the first place. I can honestly say that I would've been first in line to fight in WWII but I honestly can not say the same for Vietnam. My point is this; policy never comes under fire when the cause for war is just and obvious but blur the lines a little and then you imposing on the freedoms of American citizens.

The draftees of Vietnam were not the same as the draftees of World War II or Korea. The Greatest Generation was truly unique.

A military force comprised of volunteers is motivated, goal-oriented, and more combat effective. A military force comprised of conscripts tends to be ineffective. Yeah, I know, WWII. Exception rather than the rule. Look at the Soviet Army, North Koreans, Iraqis, Iranians, and host of others who have/had conscripts. They experienced a lot of problems during battle just as we did during Vietnam.

This "fairness" doctrine is pure folly. There is nothing fair in combat. There should be nothing fair when it comes to building a military that you want to win wars.

First: Concription=Bad army is not correct.
Prussia had a concript army throughout its entire existence, Russia still has concripts, I believe that a draft is neccessary in any "major war".
I do not think that a draft is "neccessary" in the current military situation.
First: The US went through great lengths to minimize the "war exhaustion" caused by the Afghani and Iraqi campaigns. With war exhaustion I mean how much pissed off and fed off with the war the home population is.
Using mercenaries, outsourcing military jobs and relying a lot on local auxillaries are all steps in this direction.
Having a draft would bring the war right back into the front of public interest, therefor, the US wont initiate a draft anytime soon, provided it keeps going after thirld world countries with neglible conventional assets.

Considering the myth about draft armies beeing less war mongering:
That is false. Although Prussia was by no means as bellicose as people think (they are quite far behind France and GB in terms of declarations of war issued), Prussia/Germany always (apart from Weimar) had and still have a draft, as does Russia.
What makes countries peacefull is beeing surrounded by states that are, due to diplomatic or military reasons, relativly hard to conquer.

When answering please consider economics, social aspects, politics, etc. I believe it would be beneficial, but would really like to hear other's views on this. Your opinion would be most helpful if you are not affiliated with the military, but any thoughts are most appreciated! Thanks!

No. Forcing young men who don't want to kill to kill is a crime.

It's also dangerous.

That is my biggest reservation about saying that conscription would be advantageous. I have grown up in a military community and am planning to pursue a military career and certainly don't want to have to deal with unmotivated military personnel. Do you think that perhaps it would be best if the conscripts worked the jobs that don’t necessarily require military precision and motivation (i.e. working the post office, cleaning, low-priority paper-pushing, etc.)? …. (It could certainly be argued, however, that EVERY job is essential to the mission)…. :eusa_think:
I really believe that the probable benefits of conscription to society must be considered just as much as the negative aspects. I hope that there is a way to introduce more military attitudes, increase skill levels of the populous, and create a greater sense of unity and pride in the nation without decreasing/ diluting the quality of the professional armed forces.

No. Forcing young men who don't want to kill to kill is a crime.

It's also dangerous.

In many countries that have conscription, it is only for a period of one to two years. If a conscript declares that they oppose the military and/or war they are simply required to serve the government in a different way or are assigned to a post that is not directly involved with war or "killing" (i.e. food or medical supply work [if you think that medical supply for wounded miltary is too close to the "killing" please consider that a significant portion of the medical service given by corpsman is to civilian military dependents or military personnel suffering routine illness or injury]).

I would also propose that all young PEOPLE be conscripted if they do not choose to join the professional military. Young MEN as much as young WOMEN. The system in which only lower-class young men are conscripted is not just.

That is my biggest reservation about saying that conscription would be advantageous. I have grown up in a military community and am planning to pursue a military career and certainly don't want to have to deal with unmotivated military personnel. Do you think that perhaps it would be best if the conscripts worked the jobs that don’t necessarily require military precision and motivation (i.e. working the post office, cleaning, low-priority paper-pushing, etc.)? …. (It could certainly be argued, however, that EVERY job is essential to the mission)…. :eusa_think:
I really believe that the probable benefits of conscription to society must be considered just as much as the negative aspects. I hope that there is a way to introduce more military attitudes, increase skill levels of the populous, and create a greater sense of unity and pride in the nation without decreasing/ diluting the quality of the professional armed forces.

P.S. Sorry about the tiny text. It is really annoying and was entirely accidental. :lol:

I just don't see a reason for conscription - I don't see it as adding any value to the country's defence. I do, however, think that joining the military is a good thing - even if it is only for 4 years. It teachs discipline etc and Lord knows, that young people could benefit from that. But.... in a war situation - I'd rather that our defenders were professional soldiers.

Benefit to society, yea.... but it's not all about the benefit to society - it's about defending our country.

Forum List

Back