Would conscription be beneficial to the nation as a whole?

This is kind of depressing. A lot of what I've heard in response to this hasn't been political or moral debate, but children whining, "I don't wanna" - kind of a weighty statement about the state of American (and the world's) society, right? If you don't agree with my opinions - that's fantastic. That's American. If you just "don't wanna".... well, that's something else entirely and is rather contradictory to the classic American ideals.

maybe to someone else this post makes sense....

Don't look at me!!! I just as befuddled by her post as you are.

The people that insist conscription is slavery where people are forced to kill are really flaunting their own ignorance. In many/ most countries with conscription, if a conscript objects on moral or religious grounds to war and/or military, they won't be forced to fight or serve in the military. They will simply serve a slightly longer (by maybe a month or two) in government service. When you only look at the possibly extremes of an issue and never consider a moderate compromise, problems are never solved and. Please don’t jump to the conclusion that the people that support conscription are war-mongering Republicans (no-offense to Republicans in general… seriously I don’t mean to offend. I’m simply referring to the stereotypical Republican in the mind of someone that is devoutly leftist). I support conscription mainly because of moral corruption and selfishness present in our country and the possibility that military training and/or public service could alleviate some of this societal disease.

I conscript you to serve me and kill my enemies. If you can't kill you will just work my fields. If you disagree you hate America.

If you support a draft you are no different than a slave owner who trains his slaves to kill people. Please off yourselves now and make the world a better place.

:eusa_eh: :cuckoo:

are you not forcing people into combat who otherwise wouldn't be there?

The comparison is a little over the top, by about 50,000 feet. Of course you could always read the end of the sentence, stupidity as such boggles the mind.
Another example, read the post just before this one. You can't possibly agree with such a irrational, extreme view.

Last edited:

The comparison is a little over the top, by about 50,000 feet. Of course you could always read the end of the sentence, stupidity as such boggles the mind.
Another example, read the post just before this one. You can't possibly agree with such a irrational, extreme view.

The irrational extreme view that there is a difference in principle between government mandated slavery on a national scale, or small-scale slavery on a localized level? If so, I agree.

Done fairly?

Univeral conscription could have a positive effect on this society.

But it will never be done fairly.

Why?

Because this society is classist, ergo when we had the draft it fell mostly upon the lower classes to serve in uniform.

OK...I notice a lot of people are confused about what a draft and conscription is.

Draft is basically a lottery system that picks people and forces them into service. Some can get waivers for various reasons.

Conscription is MANDATORY military service for everyone that must be completed sometime when the citizen is in a certain age bracket i.e. 18-28.

Me pesonally? I'm for conscription. Nothing like being treated like an adult and having responsibility forced on you, being held accountable for your actions at a young age to wake up a lazy ass, non working, irresponsible pothead!!!!

Done fairly?

Why?

Because this society is classist, ergo when we had the draft it fell mostly upon the lower classes to serve in uniform.

OK...I notice a lot of people are confused about what a draft and conscription is.

Draft is basically a lottery system that picks people and forces them into service. Some can get waivers for various reasons.

Conscription is MANDATORY military service for everyone that must be completed sometime when the citizen is in a certain age bracket i.e. 18-28.

Me pesonally? I'm for conscription. Nothing like being treated like an adult and having responsibility forced on you, being held accountable for your actions at a young age to wake up a lazy ass, non working, irresponsible pothead!!!!
Entonces.
Were you born an idiot or did it take time to get that way ?

This is kind of depressing. A lot of what I've heard in response to this hasn't been political or moral debate, but children whining, "I don't wanna" - kind of a weighty statement about the state of American (and the world's) society, right? If you don't agree with my opinions - that's fantastic. That's American. If you just "don't wanna".... well, that's something else entirely and is rather contradictory to the classic American ideals.

maybe to someone else this post makes sense....

Don't look at me!!! I just as befuddled by her post as you are.

Apologies to everyone... I was very tired when I posted last! Please disregard.

Last edited:
I conscript you to serve me and kill my enemies. If you can't kill you will just work my fields. If you disagree you hate America.

Okay. Thank you for your post. Could you expound a little? I think I understand this point of view, though. Its not as extreme as saying simply "Conscription is slavery", but I don't believe that the government/ public service is served working fields... of course, I may be incorrect. I also don't believe that if you disagree you hate America... eveyone is entitled to their own view.

Okay. Thank you for your post. Could you expound a little? I think I understand this point of view, though. Its not as extreme as saying simply "Conscription is slavery", but I don't believe that the government/ public service is served working fields... of course, I may be incorrect. I also don't believe that if you disagree you hate America... eveyone is entitled to their own view.

Realizing that conscription is slavery is extreme? What do you call it when one group of people can force you to serve them against your will?

When answering please consider economics, social aspects, politics, etc. I believe it would be beneficial, but would really like to hear other's views on this. Your opinion would be most helpful if you are not affiliated with the military, but any thoughts are most appreciated! Thanks!
:eusa_pray:

No. Forcing young men who don't want to kill to kill is a crime.

It's also dangerous.

In many countries that have conscription, it is only for a period of one to two years. If a conscript declares that they oppose the military and/or war they are simply required to serve the government in a different way or are assigned to a post that is not directly involved with war or "killing" (i.e. food or medical supply work [if you think that medical supply for wounded miltary is too close to the "killing" please consider that a significant portion of the medical service given by corpsman is to civilian military dependents or military personnel suffering routine illness or injury]).

I would also propose that all young PEOPLE be conscripted if they do not choose to join the professional military. Young MEN as much as young WOMEN. The system in which only lower-class young men are conscripted is not just.

The problem with conscription of any kind, is that only the lower-class are conscripted.

It doesn't matter of it's 1968 or 1863

The irrational extreme view that there is a difference in principle between government mandated slavery on a national scale, or small-scale slavery on a localized level? If so, I agree.

Obviously you never understood the draft. There were options, some good, some bad, some neutral. Slavery has no options other than bad. If you wanted to make a more apt comparison look no further than indentured servitude, there is a major difference.

Done fairly?

Why?

Entonces.
Were you born an idiot or did it take time to get that way ?

Fuck you doper!!!

No. Forcing young men who don't want to kill to kill is a crime.

It's also dangerous.

In many countries that have conscription, it is only for a period of one to two years. If a conscript declares that they oppose the military and/or war they are simply required to serve the government in a different way or are assigned to a post that is not directly involved with war or "killing" (i.e. food or medical supply work [if you think that medical supply for wounded miltary is too close to the "killing" please consider that a significant portion of the medical service given by corpsman is to civilian military dependents or military personnel suffering routine illness or injury]).

I would also propose that all young PEOPLE be conscripted if they do not choose to join the professional military. Young MEN as much as young WOMEN. The system in which only lower-class young men are conscripted is not just.

The problem with conscription of any kind, is that only the lower-class are conscripted.

Wrong.

Try again. Conscription means EVERYONE. Draft means whoever can get out of it... can.

Wrong.

Try again. Conscription means EVERYONE. Draft means whoever can get out of it... can.

It doesn't make a fucking difference what you call it. The end result will be the same.

Even if it is equitable, it's morally wrong to force a rifle into the hands of young men who don't want to kill. Given the inability to apply the CO status, that's not a good out for that situation either.

The bottom line is that professional soldiers deserve better than to be stuck with people that don't want to be there and regular citizens deserve better than to be forced into mandatory service.

New Topics

Forum List

Back