Worst NFL First Round Draft Picks

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
With all the talk about who the Lions will draft, it got me to thinking, who were some of the biggest "busts" in the NFL Draft. I found this:

1. Ki-Jana Carter (Bengals)

2. Ryan Leaf (Chargers) *Thank Goodness the Colts didn't draft him instead of Peyton Manning!

3. Akili Smith (Bengels)

4. Art Schlicter (Colts) -*Is he still in jail I wonder?

5. Mike Junkin (Browns)

Here is the rest of the list: (who do you feel they left off?)

Worst all-time first-round picks - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

In Carter's defense, he had a career ending injury. That's a lot different than just coming to the NFL and sucking.

In Carter's defense, he had a career ending injury. That's a lot different than just coming to the NFL and sucking.

You are right, that's not fair to put him at #1 then.

But, that's who Yahoo had, it's not my list. Ryan Leaf would have been #1 on my list for sure.

Some I didn't see on the list:

Rick Mirer (Seahawks 1993, 2nd overall pick)

Mike Mamula (Eagles 1995, 7th overall pick)

And Echo, I'm sure you're familiar with this one: Trev Alberts (Colts 1994, 5th overall pick)

Oh! Rashaan Salaam isn't on the list either. That dude was AWESOME in college.

He had a good rookie season, and then fell completely off the map.

Another wasted Heisman trophy, too.

Oh! Rashaan Salaam isn't on the list either. That dude was AWESOME in college.

He had a good rookie season, and then fell completely off the map.

Another wasted Heisman trophy, too.

C'mon where's the love for Gino Torretta?

Stone-Cold.jpg

Actually a pretty decent flick.

The Lions selected Charles Rogers (WR - Michigan State) with the 2nd overall pick and I think he played roughly 6 games, got 2 broken collar bones and a drug suspension.

They picked Joey Harrington w/ the third overall, and Mike Williams 9th overall.

They could make a list of first round busts all on their own.

Other than the Lions, I keep hearing that Robert Gallery hasn't lived up to expectations either... Tim Couch not being on that list is surprising - what about Alex Smith - too soon?

Last edited:
The Lions selected Charles Rogers (WR - Michigan State) with the 2nd overall pick and I think he played roughly 6 games, got 2 broken collar bones and a drug suspension.

They picked Joey Harrington w/ the third overall, and Mike Williams 9th overall.

They could make a list of first round busts all on their own.

Other than the Lions, I keep hearing that Robert Gallery hasn't lived up to expectations either... Tim Couch not being on that list is surprising - what about Alex Smith - too soon?

Couch was a bust as a #1 pick... but not really all that horrid as the others

Rogers was mainly injury... if I remember correctly, started off pretty good... and after getting injured was not the same... not really the same a s a person who was a flat out bust before injury for a long period of time or a person who just sucked without injury

Gallery is not bad... just not #1 material, and is a bust in that regard

Couch was a bust as a #1 pick... but not really all that horrid as the others

Rogers was mainly injury... if I remember correctly, started off pretty good... and after getting injured was not the same... not really the same a s a person who was a flat out bust before injury for a long period of time or a person who just sucked without injury

Gallery is not bad... just not #1 material, and is a bust in that regard

I don't disagree w/ you about Couch & Gallery. Rogers was injury, but its theorized that his repeated injury was his own lack of work. He did start off good, but it was only like 5 games. But, he was the best player they had for those 5 games. But the main thing that really hurt his career, IMO, was just drug suspension - which of course he brought on himself. He came back to the Lions after the two collar bone injuries and was "effective", but he hosed himself w/ pot (and hosed the team and the fans as well).

The awesome thing about it is that his dope smoking *was known* by the Lions before they took him. Meanwhile, Andre Johnson, who was taken right after Rogers, is tearing it up at Houston.

That's the crap I get to deal with. Fortunately now I can just :lol: @ it. I used to care until a few years ago when they gave the worst GM in the history of professional sports, even at that time, a completely unearned contract extension.

I just wish FOX wouldn't force me to watch that crap instead of the nationally televised game every Sunday.

The worst First Round pick ever was made by the Oakland Raiders in the 2000 NFL Draft. Sebastian Janikowski, Kicker, Florida State University. Not that Janikowski is a bad kicker, I just don't think that first round picks should be wasted on kickers.They could have easily picked him up in the second or third round.

I have to put McNown first since I am a Bears fan. McNown was just awesome in college. Such a let down! Even more than Rex.

But from an objective point of view, Ryan Leaf hands down was the biggest disappointment. Talk immediately after the draft was the Colts made a mistake going with Manning over Leaf, by some anaylist. Leaf just blew!

Shit, most of the Eagles first round picks over the last 15 years have been busts besides McNabb.

Forum List

Back