~Worst Movie You Have Ever Seen~

I dunno, a lot of people liked Fargo. I just didn't get the whole wood-chipper thing. (although it has become a running joke in my house).

but the thing that made me nuts in eyes wide shut was tom cruise showing his doctor I.D. to get into places to snoop around. I know it's a little thing. but it was a huge distraction. also, kubrick trying to make a street in england look like greenwich village in nyc just felt wrong.

:redface:

but i love roadhouse. :D

I'm a big Coen brothers fan. Watched No Country for Old Men the other day. Really enjoyed it.

But it left a big question at the end did the evil guy actually get away?

He got away, but he wasn't happy.

I may have missed it but I'm suprised no one has mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show... That movie was the worst! Of course my experience may have been skewed since I watched it with a huge fan. The woman(fan) was talking and acting out parts of the movie, which I've been told is "normal." Bad movie and crazy fans!

Red Dawn.
The Green Berets.

Simply awful nutty films.
just for comparison, what are your views on Apocalypse Now?

Great film.

I loved the whole "Heart of Darkness" trope. I saw "Redux" too. They could have lost the whole "French" thing. Glad it didn't make it to the final cut.
Okay, cool. I actually like all three movies (the 2 you mentioned and Apocalypse Now).

I suspect you are also a fan of "Born on the Fourth of July", "The Deerhunter" and possibly "First Blood" as well.

I may have missed it but I'm suprised no one has mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show... That movie was the worst! Of course my experience may have been skewed since I watched it with a huge fan. The woman(fan) was talking and acting out parts of the movie, which I've been told is "normal." Bad movie and crazy fans!

I loved Rocky Horror...

Lost in Translation

wow...seriously?

I thought it was excellent..*shrugs*It didn't appeal to your Yang side?

That was another one that left the ending up in the air.
I liked it enough to buy it, but I can see why people won't like it. It's a piece of Cinema Verite that I can only watch and appreciate in the right mood.

It does have a very high WTF factor.

A few more to drop into the pile on "Disco Sucks" day:

"Blow Up" (the original 1960's piece of mime shit) I wanted to shoot myself in the mouth on that one.
"Psycho" The remake, not the original masterpiece. Wrecked itself on ONE single soundeffect. And Anne Heche??? WTF??? Anne HECHE?!?
"Suckerpunch" I said before and will again: "What a beautiful aweful mess!"
"2001: A Space Odessy" Great movie? You're shitting me right? I was screaming for the credits after listening to 20 minutes of respirator breathing. "2010" was far better

wow...seriously?

I thought it was excellent..*shrugs*It didn't appeal to your Yang side?

I liked it enough to buy it, but I can see why people won't like it. It's a piece of Cinema Verite that I can only watch and appreciate in the right mood.

"Blow Up" (the original 1960's piece of mime shit) I wanted to shoot myself in the mouth on that one.
"Psycho" The remake, not the original masterpiece. Wrecked itself on ONE single soundeffect. And Anne Heche??? WTF??? Anne HECHE?!?
"2001: A Space Odessy" Great movie? You're shitting me right? I was screaming for the credits after listening to 20 minutes of respirator breathing. "2010" was far better

For it's time, 2001 was awsome on the big screen. I can't remember if it was just before or just after the first moon landing, but there was huge interest in space exploration because of the success of the Apollo Project. The mysterious ending was fodder for lots of kitchen table conversation.

I loved Rocky Horror...
I first saw it as a Freshman at The Ohio State university. Folks dressed up as their characters in the movie. they threw toast, covered their heads with newspapers, squirted squirt guns around the theater and generally had a blast! I saw it again in Pittsburgh at a theater near the University of Pittsburgh campus. Again, the same shenanigans!

So, as a collector of what I consider important movies, I bought Rocky Horror on DVD. While it's fun, it's no match for the 'live' theatrical experience.

For it's time, 2001 was awsome on the big screen. I can't remember if it was just before or just after the first moon landing, but there was huge interest in space exploration because of the success of the Apollo Project. The mysterious ending was fodder for lots of kitchen table conversation.
Yes. I know that. Still doesn't change the fact the movie sucked like a singularity.

Yes. I know that. Still doesn't change the fact the movie sucked like a singularity.
What was it specifically about 2001: A Space Odyssey that you didn't like?

Yes, this is an idea sort of stolen from Zona :)

In your opinion, what is the worst movie you have ever seen??

The Accidental Tourist from 1988. It is the only movie I have ever paid to see where I actually got up and walked out mid-movie.
Oh Hell! I've walked out on plenty of movies! That's probably why I no longer go to the movies. The last one I remember walking away from was Independence Day. I was writing the screenplay in my head while I watched and my version was better.

The fact it could be 60 minutes shorter and improve the pacing. It suffers the same flaw as ST:TMP in that it is a very slow, boring special effects freakout in now dated special effects. The acting is average. The cinematography is... well Kubrick, which isn't that great. Other than that, it's less exciting than the book, which is actually worse in many ways save the philosophical intricacies it introduced to Science Fiction. An hour to get to the plot, and then another hour in which you wished it was over leaving you with the sense you just dropped bad acid with that ending.

Jaws scared the shit out of me.

When that head popped out of that hole the chicks in front of me screamed and I jumped about 2 feet out of my seat.

And to think the price of my headache and your pallor was probably twenty bucks with inflation factored in. That did it for scarey movies for me. I haven't spent a nickel on any of that rot since. My kids, on the other hand, hold Halloween tv parties for 6 weeks running to celebrate their enjoyment of screen horror. :lol:

I've never felt safe in the ocean since.

I don't really like horror movies....unless I'm with some big-breasted girl who needs someone to hang onto when she gets the frights.

Oh, I just remembered.

This one really sucked.

51BWHBJ5FNL._SL500_.jpg

Awww, come on. My teenaged son and I laughed ourselves sick watching it!

A supposedly "great" movie that I absolutely hated is "Silkwood"...Like watching a cactus grow.

Started watching "Day After Tomorrow" purely by accident and kept watching it, certain that it couldn't possibly get even worse as the "plot" moved along...I was wrong....I was rooting for the storm and the deep freeze to kill everyone and put that stinkburger out of its misery.

The all-time worst flick I've ever seen is "'Manos' the hands of Fate"....The modern golden turd trophy for stinkiness is a dead heat between "Roadhouse" and "Battlefield Earth".

the agony booth : hilariously detailed recaps of movies, TV, and more!

2012 came on cable a week or two ago. I fell asleep watching it.

Yes, this is an idea sort of stolen from Zona :)

In your opinion, what is the worst movie you have ever seen??

The Accidental Tourist from 1988. It is the only movie I have ever paid to see where I actually got up and walked out mid-movie.
Oh Hell! I've walked out on plenty of movies! That's probably why I no longer go to the movies. The last one I remember walking away from was Independence Day. I was writing the screenplay in my head while I watched and my version was better.
That didn't take much. :)

The fact it could be 60 minutes shorter and improve the pacing. It suffers the same flaw as ST:TMP in that it is a very slow, boring special effects freakout in now dated special effects. The acting is average. The cinematography is... well Kubrick, which isn't that great. Other than that, it's less exciting than the book, which is actually worse in many ways save the philosophical intricacies it introduced to Science Fiction. An hour to get to the plot, and then another hour in which you wished it was over leaving you with the sense you just dropped bad acid with that ending.
I think that Kubrick deliberately used a slow pace to emphasize the advancements mankind made from his discovery of weapons to space flight. Kubrick LOVED tracking shots. You can see this in Paths of Glory and Spartacus. But he used them with a master's hand in 2001.

Remember that when it debuted, 2001 had no computer generated effects. That mankind had not even seen the whole of the earth at once from space. The movie was groundbreaking in this regard.

The ending was intended to be interpreted by the viewer as a metamorphosis from one state of conciseness to another. Something each viewer has to resolve on his own.

I think that Kubrick deliberately used a slow pace to emphasize the advancements mankind made from his discovery of weapons to space flight. Kubrick LOVED tracking shots. You can see this in Paths of Glory and Spartacus. But he used them with a master's hand in 2001.

Remember that when it debuted, 2001 had no computer generated effects. That mankind had not even seen the whole of the earth at once from space. The movie was groundbreaking in this regard.

The ending was intended to be interpreted by the viewer as a metamorphosis from one state of conciseness to another. Something each viewer has to resolve on his own.
Yes, and it could have been done far better. Case in point "2010". Again, no computer generated graphics. Better pacing, soundtrack, same level of acting and questions at the end. The one humorous part about the special effects in 2001 was that it was done by the same crew who did the SFX for "Doctor Who" for the BBC. They were just given a real budget for the first time in their lives.

The Mel Gibson two-hour torture fest aka "The Passion of the Christ" is high on my list of worst movies ever.

I call it the Jesus Chainsaw Massacre. What a crapfest! Here's a hint to Mr. Gibson: slow motion is best used sparingly or only if you happen to be Sam Peckinpah.

If Gibson had spent a bit more time on the background of the life of Jesus and how he got to where he was and less time on the slow-mo blood spurts, it may have been and OK film.

I didn't know anymore about the life of JC after I saw it than I did before.

Forum List

Back