Worst actors ever in TV/Movies!

Over-rated actors on my list include Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, and James Cagney; never got why any of those three were popular, even as 'stars', much less as actors. Chuck Norris and Seagal weren't out to do Shakespearean drama, they did action movies to sell to those who liked action movies, same with Stallone, so they were thin on plot and dialogue, same with the Rocky movies; they were supposed to be 'B' movies. Marlon Brando was the biggest fraud I can think of, though he was accidentally 'good' in a few roles, like in The Godfather, Missouri Breaks, and One Eyed Jacks. I credit the directors for those 'successes'. His 'draw' stance in the latter was absolutely hilarious, the more so for being unintentionally funny; he thought he looked cool doing it. At least they didn't go in for the 'Hollywood holster' rig invented in the Silent Era, a plus imo.
I agree Brando is overrated. With the exception of On the Waterfront, I thought he over acted and played cartoon characters.

I liked Bogart and Cagney and thought they were among the best of their era.

Errol Flynn was great in swashbucklers like Robin Hood and Captain Blood. Not fond of him in other roles

Clark Gable was another actor I thought was limited.

Warren Beaty is another star I can’t stand

Last edited:
Timothy van Patten was gawdawful....Thank goodness his short-lived teevee series killed his career.

Always thought Donald Pleasance was horrible no matter what movie he was in.

Ben Affleck.

Glen Campbell.

Billy Bob Thotrnton is hit or miss....Some great performances (Davey Crockett) some total stink bombs.

I can't imagine there is a more hit and miss actor than Tom Cruise.
Very good in Born on the 4th of July, Collateral... Jerry McQuire... but then literally 2/3 of all other movies he made he is the same exact character. Just in different circumstance. Showing absolutely no range. Of course they all played well into his own self worship so he gleefully kept doing them.

I always hated Joaquin Phoenix but thought he was good in The Joker

There may be many. A few weeks ago I was watching a few films from the early 1930's. An actor named Paul Muni was starring in them. It seemed he was overacting in many scenes. I looked up his name and there were critics at that time period or around it who accused him of just that. To each their own.
A guy named ronald Ray Goon was a terrible actor.

There may be many. A few weeks ago I was watching a few films from the early 1930's. An actor named Paul Muni was starring in them. It seemed he was overacting in many scenes. I looked up his name and there were critics at that time period or around it who accused him of just that. To each their own.
A guy named ronald Ray Goon was a terrible actor.
What was he in?

I always hated Joaquin Phoenix but thought he was good in The Joker
He was good in Joker, and also Her.
He received accolades for Walk the Line, but I wasn't seeing it. If it was a movie about some random person I would say differently, but he was supposed to be playing Johnny Cash. And he was absolutely nothing like who Cash was. Nothing. Not even a resemblance.

How could I forget??.... I loooath Hugh Grant. Ugh.
Even in his most recent appearance - "The Gentlemen"... he didn't belong. I liked this movie, but this cheeky, flamboyant character he played I don't believe fit the theme of the movie.
Or perhaps, it could be I just can't stand this guy.

Very good in Born on the 4th of July, Collateral... Jerry McQuire... but then literally 2/3 of all other movies he made he is the same exact character. Just in different circumstance. Showing absolutely no range. Of course they all played well into his own self worship so he gleefully kept doing them.
He did experiment with a few science fiction movies. Different thinking. People might like to see reassuring things. And if you believe Cruise to be the same character, it works for him.

He did experiment with a few science fiction movies. Different thinking. People might like to see reassuring things. And if you believe Cruise to be the same character, it works for him.
He was still the same character.
In the movie Oblivion... same guy. Same hot shot, cracker jack, super talented dude who through magnificent physical excellence and pure will beats all odds to save the day. And that is precisely his typical role in 80% of all of his movies.
I say his talents were far better than this, but if not for his own ego and hollywood raking in the dough by playing these roles... he could have been so much more. He LOOOVED these roles because that is how he sees himself.
Not too mention he was too old to be playing this supposed 30 something man whose partner was actually 20 years younger than him.

Kermit overacted in his 1992 The Muppet Christmas Carol. You almost had to feel sorry for him. He couldn't make the leap from TV to the Big Screen.
1590010640577.png

Kermit overacted in his 1992 The Muppet Christmas Carol. You almost had to feel sorry for him. He couldn't make the leap from TV to the Big Screen.
View attachment 338733
Kermit was still green as an actor though.

Forum List

Back