World without Oil?

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
Let's say that the world is about to run out of Oil (I do not claim to know that, I am simply making a situation) what would be your major concerns?

My major concerns are, as follows:

1. I am in the military, what is going to change, in strategy in warfare? What exactly are we going to do if we cannot keep up the supply to our vehicles/technology?

2. How will farming change? My family owns a farm, and so does every other family in the Clan (the Clan is what we call our overall family which is about 250+ people) and I am wondering: How are we going to supply tractors/combines/planters/seeders/etc? Are we going to revert back to Mule/Oxen/Donkey powered? What about Steam Powered Tractors?

3. Will it affect political stand-points of alliances/treaties? Will people ally the strongest player that is left? Who will the strongest player be?

4. How will I save a load of money on my mule insurance?

Anyways, what are your concerns? Do you think this will even happen? Or is this just a false theory?

Thanks for any discussion brought into the thread, and have a great Saturday, November 20th.

~Edit~ Also, I really hope someone can bring links to show arguments on both sides of whether this will happen or not, I'd definitely read any links with information you post. Thanks.

Let's say that the world is about to run out of Oil (I do not claim to know that, I am simply making a situation) what would be your major concerns?

1. I am in the military, what is going to change, in strategy in warfare? What exactly are we going to do if we cannot keep up the supply to our vehicles/technology?

2. How will farming change? My family owns a farm, and so does every other family in the Clan (the Clan is what we call our overall family which is about 250+ people) and I am wondering: How are we going to supply tractors/combines/planters/seeders/etc? Are we going to revert back to Mule/Oxen/Donkey powered? What about Steam Powered Tractors?

3. Will it affect political stand-points of alliances/treaties? Will people ally the strongest player that is left? Who will the strongest player be?

Anyways, what are your concerns? Do you think this will even happen? Or is this just a false theory?

Thanks for any discussion brought into the thread, and have a great Saturday, November 20th.

~Edit~ Also, I really hope someone can bring links to show arguments on both sides of whether this will happen or not, I'd definitely read any links with information you post. Thanks.

According to the experts we ran out in the mid 80's. Also if peak oil has really happened why are oil companies STILL finding new oil deposits all over the world?

According to the experts we ran out in the mid 80's. Also if peak oil has really happened why are oil companies STILL finding new oil deposits all over the world?

I never claimed peak oil, or any shortage of oil has happened, I simply asked what you would do if the situation did happen or information on whether it will or not. Do you have any information I could look at, that you read on? I'd really like any links to information that you read on.

I never claimed peak oil, or any shortage of oil has happened, I simply asked what you would do if the situation did happen or information on whether it will or not. Do you have any information I could look at, that you read on? I'd really like any links to information that you read on.

Oil is no where near close to running out. Go read the Oil Companies blogs, they are finding new oil fields all the time. Not to mention the amount of oil still in the old wells. Not to mention the amount of oil in other forms.

You have no need to worry about a Hypothetical that simply is not going to happen any time soon. Further there are other sources of fuel. Algea can be grown rapidly and can produce ethanol. Natural gas can be converted to a fuel source. Hydrogen can be used. And of course you mentioned steam power.

Find something that might happen in your life time to worry about.

Oil is no where near close to running out. Go read the Oil Companies blogs, they are finding new oil fields all the time. Not to mention the amount of oil still in the old wells. Not to mention the amount of oil in other forms.

You have no need to worry about a Hypothetical that simply is not going to happen any time soon. Further there are other sources of fuel. Algea can be grown rapidly and can produce ethanol. Natural gas can be converted to a fuel source. Hydrogen can be used. And of course you mentioned steam power.

I will try to find oil company blog websites, thanks for the reccommendation on that.

I was under the impression they had not found a way to convert algae into ethanol yet? Well, I would hope it never gets to steam power for tractors lol, although if it does I'd still work I mean, can't not work, just hope never gets that bad.

Eh, I just like to contemplate situations, even if they are non-sense to others, I respect everyone's opinion, and I respect facts, and you supplied both, thank you. Just one question I have for you: What are some somethings you think could happen to worry about? I mean, what is likely to happen in the future to worry about? No sarcasm I promise, I just want to know your opinion on the subject of future problems/issues arising.

The appetite for oil receeded for a little while during the recent downturn but usage is starting to rise again. There are alternative fuels but the cost is prohibitive. The oil in the shale in the US is 1.5 trillion barrels. (5X+ SA oil reserves)
Oil Shale Reserves

The problem has been the technology to extract it and the cost. The cheap oil is going, going, and gone soon. The deeper we drill at sea and attempts at extracting the shale oil promises higer prices for fuel in the future. At present over 60% of the price of gas is derived from the price of crude oil.

If the price of fuel triples the cost of shipping those computers from halfway across the planet becomes problematic. I can forsee, in this case, the very industries that went overseas, scurrying back because the transportation costs have become too much of a burden. So in a simplistic labor model, this might be a good thing. Of course there are other aspects that may have a negative impact too.

Since this will not occur for the next 200-300 years at the very earliest, why worry yourself? And besides, in about a century at the worst, we'll have a useful replacement.

Oh, and you can expect ethanol to be dead in 10 years tops. Biodiesel has a slim shot.

Before oil, more people and livestock were needed to work the farms. Rural communities were more self sufficient, and not merely bedroom communities for commuters, or decaying because of lack of economic activity. People ate more regional foods, and foods from other regions were considered more exotic because transportation was more difficult.

If the price of fuel triples the cost of shipping those computers from halfway across the planet becomes problematic. I can forsee, in this case, the very industries that went overseas, scurrying back because the transportation costs have become too much of a burden. So in a simplistic labor model, this might be a good thing. Of course there are other aspects that may have a negative impact too.

Absolutely not true. It takes less fuel to ship a computer from China to your door than for you to drive to work & back.

Before oil, more people and livestock were needed to work the farms. Rural communities were more self sufficient, and not merely bedroom communities for commuters, or decaying because of lack of economic activity. People ate more regional foods, and foods from other regions were considered more exotic because transportation was more difficult.

High Oil Prices will not change that. It may in fact make it worse. Many of the people who live in those rural communities & commute long distances to work will be forced to leave the rural communities to live near their work.

Shopping habits will change. It takes less fuel to ship goods from anywhere on earth to your store than it takes for you to drive to the store to purchase it & take it back home.

gee, what would happen, first we would burn all those at the stake that built windmills, as soon as oil runs out it will be clear how much was wasted on windmills that cannot run Los Angeles let alone a segment of industry.

Absolutely not true. It takes less fuel to ship a computer from China to your door than for you to drive to work & back.

Yes. But without fuel you have other means to get to work and back. I suppose they could sail the computers over here, that would take more manpower than the super ships thsy have today. But like I said there are a lot of factors involved. If fuel prices skyrocketed the computers and all plastic products would increase drmatically too. Food prices too. Wages would have to increase or nobody could afford the products. If product does not sell nobody works to make them. Oil affects ever facet of our lives, not just fuel.

I will try to find oil company blog websites, thanks for the reccommendation on that.

I was under the impression they had not found a way to convert algae into ethanol yet? Well, I would hope it never gets to steam power for tractors lol, although if it does I'd still work I mean, can't not work, just hope never gets that bad.

Eh, I just like to contemplate situations, even if they are non-sense to others, I respect everyone's opinion, and I respect facts, and you supplied both, thank you. Just one question I have for you: What are some somethings you think could happen to worry about? I mean, what is likely to happen in the future to worry about? No sarcasm I promise, I just want to know your opinion on the subject of future problems/issues arising.

A break down of society. As the earths population grows people are less and less social. More crime more chaos.

Yes everyone, ignore the premise, just run the idea around in your head, accept the idea of no oil, just accept it and now help coming up with the answer.

Oil will never run out, not in our lifetimes, not in our children's lifetime, not in the next hundred thousand years.

Its a fools errand to speculate what we would do without. Life dies with no oil, its that simple, say goodbye.

The way this will come to us is NOT as an immediate lack of oil.

It will come at us as an increasing expensive over time.

Thus as the cost of energy rises, so too does the cost of modern life generally.

So the things you ought to be worrying about are:

1. Economic stagnation

2. Rampant increases in the cost of food, heating, and anything involving transportation costs (read everything)

If we cannot solve this problem? If we do not find efficient and cheap energy sources to replace petroleum?

You can expect massive dieoffs of much of the world's population.

Yeah, that's right...without cheap enough energy the world's economy will collapse.

My advise?

Stick to your farm and learn to farm with non-mechanized tools, just in case things get weird.

Last edited:

Yes. But without fuel you have other means to get to work and back. I suppose they could sail the computers over here, that would take more manpower than the super ships thsy have today. But like I said there are a lot of factors involved. If fuel prices skyrocketed the computers and all plastic products would increase drmatically too. Food prices too. Wages would have to increase or nobody could afford the products. If product does not sell nobody works to make them. Oil affects ever facet of our lives, not just fuel.

A Chinese worker lives in a dorm at their work place. The average China worker consumes less than 2 barrels of oil per year to live & make products for Americans. The average American consumes over 20 barrels of oil per year to live & make products. It is much, much, much more fuel efficient to make products in China & ship them to American homes than it is for Americans to go to work & buy their own goods.

A ocean cargo ship gets over 1,100 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A barge gets 575 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A train gets 425 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A semi truck gets 170 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A UPS delivery truck gets 15 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A Jet plane gets 7 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A fully loaded 1/2 ton pick-up truck gets 9 net freight ton miles per gallon.
An average 20-lbs of goods per car trip to the store empty one way gets 0.125 net freight ton miles per gallon.

Last edited:
We will have to order on-line & have it shipped to our door UPS
. . . . OR
This is what people will be taking to the store.

electric_cargo_trike_rickshaw.jpg

This is what people will be riding to work.
bicycle-yellow.png

Last edited:

The way this will come to us is NOT as an immediate lack of oil.

It will come at us as an increasing expensive over time.

Thus as the cost of energy rises, so too does the cost of modern life generally.

So the things you ought to be worrying about are:

1. Economic stagnation

2. Rampant increases in the cost of food, heating, and anything involving transportation costs (read everything)

If we cannot solve this problem? If we do not find efficient and cheap energy sources to replace petroleum?

You can expect massive dieoffs of much of the world's population.

Yeah, that's right...without cheap enough energy the world's economy will collapse.

My advise?

Stick to your farm and learn to farm with non-mechanized tools, just in case things get weird.

Well, see that's a great idea, but I already signed my military contract, but I am glad I learned stuff as a kid that most didn't. Really makes me feel safer knowing I know a trade that will come in handy if oil affects the world so much. Also, a lot of people don't believe it but most small farmers (like my one family) use non-mechanized, like, we have a steel plow that is made for mules to pull still lol. Grandpa collected so much stuff from the "old days". Pretty cool to be honest.

Thanks for the information, and I can see your point on the things to come. I really hope it doesn't get that bad, but if it does, I will do my best to help people.

Since this will not occur for the next 200-300 years at the very earliest, why worry yourself? And besides, in about a century at the worst, we'll have a useful replacement.

Oh, and you can expect ethanol to be dead in 10 years tops. Biodiesel has a slim shot.

I am trying to see other people's opinions on whether it will happen 2-3 hundred years for 50 years, so on and so on. I can see the general opinion, and what facts I have seen seem to support is, it is not going to happen in quite a while, although their will be effects of oil prices going up that I fear.

Forum List

Back