World Cup USA v Netherlands

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
So frustrating! USA overall played better but 3 times they left a trailer wide open on a Netherlands and all three times the player found the back of the net.

The USA looked weak on set pieces especially corners, maybe let someone else take the kick.

See you next year, well, er...4 years

How is it possible that in a country as large as the USA where sports is preeminent we haven't developed the next Messi?

If this is America’s “Golden Generation” of players, we are in exceedingly deep trouble. Just imagine we get to embarsssed by these guys on our home soil four years from now. Yippee!!!!

How is it possible that in a country as large as the USA where sports is preeminent we haven't developed the next Messi?
It’s very simple… No American is ever going to get PAID like Messi, so there is much less interest in trying to become the next Messi. Especially when they can get paid like Lebron or Russell Wilson instead.

I'm loyal to my United States brethren I suppose ... but my heart is with the Mexicans ... I like their style of play, and by extension the whole of Latin America ...

My money's on the Dutch ... I'm not stupid ...

So frustrating! USA overall played better but 3 times they left a trailer wide open on a Netherlands and all three times the player found the back of the net.

The USA looked weak on set pieces especially corners, maybe let someone else take the kick.

Our best athletes can make much more money playing other sports. Getting a once in a generation talent to play soccer is much harder when there are so many more lucrative sports to play.

Our top athletes play real sports.

Our best athletes can make much more money playing other sports. Getting a once in a generation talent to play soccer is much harder when there are so many more lucrative sports to play.
Unless there was a typo, Christian Ronaldo just signed with Saudi’s Arabia for $211 MILLION per season

Unless there was a typo, Christian Ronaldo just signed with Saudi’s Arabia for $211 MILLION per season
Good example. Ronaldo essentially had one sport to consider playing growing up in Lisbon. If you're in the US, you have many more options. Its not impossible for someone from the US to decide to become the greatest soccer player ever and maybe by the age of 28-32; he could do just that. Or...he could do what most American athletes do who are in that special class to where they can play professional ball...become a millionaire at the age of 18 following a dedicated path of development, expert coaching, established pathways, etc..

I would LOVE to see someone like Pullsic get into that rarified air of being talked about with the likes of Ronaldo. Van Cliburn did it; so it's not an impossibility. But it is a much harder road than the comparatively easy ones that are already available.

Forum List

Back