World Bank: Israel limits harm PA economy

BecauseIKnow

Rookie
Aug 5, 2012
World Bank: Israel limits harm PA economy - Israel Business, Ynetnews

The World Bank charges that Israel's system of checkpoints, delays in transferring millions of dollars in tax revenue and preventing most exports from Gaza have caused lasting damage to the Palestinian economy.

The policies are causing a contraction in manufacturing and agricultural sectors, "alarmingly" high unemployment and social problems that would outlive any Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement, the organization said in its report.

Tuesday's report said deteriorating water and transport infrastructure were also serious problems, particularly in Gaza.

Israel officials cite security concerns for restrictions.

The report said economic problems were exacerbated by shortfalls in donor aid, forcing the Palestinian Authority to borrow unsustainable amounts from local banks to stay afloat.

World Bank: Israel limits harm PA economy - Israel Business, Ynetnews

The World Bank charges that Israel's system of checkpoints, delays in transferring millions of dollars in tax revenue and preventing most exports from Gaza have caused lasting damage to the Palestinian economy.

The policies are causing a contraction in manufacturing and agricultural sectors, "alarmingly" high unemployment and social problems that would outlive any Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement, the organization said in its report.

Tuesday's report said deteriorating water and transport infrastructure were also serious problems, particularly in Gaza.

Israel officials cite security concerns for restrictions.

The report said economic problems were exacerbated by shortfalls in donor aid, forcing the Palestinian Authority to borrow unsustainable amounts from local banks to stay afloat.

When terrorist attack and murder innocent people, then measures are going to be made to prevent them. Those measures are not going to make life easier, but harder. I think Israel should up the measures, but that is just me!

• Banned
Using the security issue as an repetitive excuses is insane. Obviously most restrictions are unrelated to any security issue. Such as exports. Or delay of tax revenue. Israel just doesn't want a Palestinian economy to compete with Israeli industries. Admit up to it. That's why Palestinians in the West Bank aren't allowed to have their own 3G technology.

"The World Bank charges that Israel's system of checkpoints, delays in transferring millions of dollars in tax revenue and preventing most exports from Gaza have caused lasting damage to the Palestinian economy."

That's funny! you know how much it hurts Israeli economy? I bet 10 times more than the Palestinian one.

Sucks for us both nations.

• Banned
No it doesn't. Its meant to hurt the Palestinian economy. It isn't a thing about both nations. And weren't you the one bragging about the Israeli economy a few weeks ago?

We pay our taxes for things that in a normal world we wouldn't.

And the fact that we have it better than other nations doesn't mean we sit under the tree snacking bananas all day! Sheeeesh.

• Banned
Okay. I don't get what you're trying to contribute to this topic. But I'm glad you acknowledged Israel doesn't want a competing economy. In Gaza they also won't list goods they restrict which are unrelated to security concerns. They won't give the UN the list. That definitely shows something more than a security concern. And it can have devastating consequences.

I think the PA and the Israeli economy could both improve if we find common grounds, it already happens, especially when it comes to Israeli and Gazan farmers working together. we should develop and encourage this.

I think the PA and the Israeli economy could both improve if we find common grounds, it already happens, especially when it comes to Israeli and Gazan farmers working together. we should develop and encourage this.

I agree with you on that point. It is said that the Palestinians are the intellectual elites of the Arab world. Their literacy rate for both males and females is similar to industrialized nations. And there are many with advanced degrees.

During the Mandate the Palestinians wanted a single democratic state with equal rights for all.

Just think of the country we could have had.

No it doesn't. Its meant to hurt the Palestinian economy. It isn't a thing about both nations. And weren't you the one bragging about the Israeli economy a few weeks ago?

So you think all those people staffing all those checkpoints work for nothing? And all the equipment they use just dropped from the skies?

The Israeli economy may be doing all right - but if it weren't for the drag on it of all that security stuff, it'd be doing much better.

And - in case you hadn't noticed! - a peaceful and prosperous Palestine next door would be the biggest boost to the Israeli economy ever!

It is very sad whenever Palestinians AND THEIR 'supporters' choose to pursue war instead of healthy economic competition : (( Perhaps you will be one to convince others to build up Palestinian development instead of trying to build bigger bombs?

I agree with you on that point. It is said that the Palestinians are the intellectual elites of the Arab world. Their literacy rate for both males and females is similar to industrialized nations. And there are many with advanced degrees.

During the Mandate the Palestinians wanted a single democratic state with equal rights for all.

Obviously they were not all of like mind - or there wouldn't have been a pogrom in Hebron in '29, etc, etc......

But it's still not too late to cooperate!

But some did not want a peaceful and prosperous country. They wanted generations of death and destruction.

the "palestinians" have recently become the intellectual elites
of the arab world-----pre 1948---in fact pre 1967----they were
illiterate jihadist dogs

So you think all those people staffing all those checkpoints work for nothing? And all the equipment they use just dropped from the skies?

The Israeli economy may be doing all right - but if it weren't for the drag on it of all that security stuff, it'd be doing much better.

And - in case you hadn't noticed! - a peaceful and prosperous Palestine next door would be the biggest boost to the Israeli economy ever!

It is very sad whenever Palestinians AND THEIR 'supporters' choose to pursue war instead of healthy economic competition : (( Perhaps you will be one to convince others to build up Palestinian development instead of trying to build bigger bombs?

What's this stupid stuff you're posting? I'm about to put you on ignore. That was so lame and dumb....:cuckoo:

But some did not want a peaceful and prosperous country. They wanted generations of death and destruction.

There are radicals in both Israel and Gaza.

Like in every place in the world

It is just that there was a choice and they went down the wrong road.

tinnie referred to the MANDATE PERIOD-------during which time--
no matter how many NON RADICAL arabs there were ----in
the mandate and in the arab world and no matter how many
NON RADICAL muslims there were in the world ---the FACT is
that there was a huge and OVERWHELMIMG consensus in the
entire muslim population of the world that jews--
--whether escaping muslim oppression or oppression anywhere else
in the world ----should be prevented from migrating to 'PALESTINE"

or Israel

Is this actually true because I have heard Egyptians and Iraqis claim that title already, the intellectuals of the Arab world.

Forum List

Back