Working Hard really doesn't pay off in the workplace

Hard work does not always keep you employed

If you don't fit in, they will get rid of you
As well they should

Why? Unless you are being difficult or disruptive... if you are positively affecting the bottom line and otherwise doing your job....?

Someone who doesn't fit in or refuses to change in order to fit in does not positively contribute to the company.

You could have a great employee who is an absolute nightmare for morale why keep him if he is a pain in the ass?

Well, like I said, if they are not being disruptive or difficult, but just don't fit with the personalities, they should go I suppose.
I certainly would hire someone that seemed to mesh with my staff. But sometimes the staff changes overtime and as does the dynamic, especially with a change in leadership.

Well, like I said, if they are not being disruptive or difficult, but just don't fit with the personalities, they should go I suppose.
I certainly would hire someone that seemed to mesh with my staff. But sometimes the staff changes overtime and as does the dynamic, especially with a change in leadership.
Would you hire someone who meshes with you?

:lmao:
That explains it. You have no experience on the subject.

Probably more than you

I've worked for many different people in many different capacities and no matter where I worked there were always people who thought that somehow the job they held was theirs and not the employer's to give. They were invariably the people who felt they were entitled, caused the most discord and were let go more often than not

Now I just have to weed out the people like you during the interview process when I hire new people

Sorry, your just wrong. I get what you are saying, I do - but it does not apply to every workplace environment.
I am 51 years old, I have had a job working somewhere literally since I was 12 years old. I have worked for very large corporations, as well as small privately owned businesses.
We live in a modern society, and thankfully a country that seeks to protect the innocent. Including protecting someones lifelong accomplishments and property from being ruined by an evil employer that has it out for them.
Particularly as I get older I am more attuned to rights and fairness of older people that have given decades of their lives providing solid service to companies only to be stomped on by a newly hired boss.
Employers are not Gods. There are great bosses and truly evil bastards who have zero ethics or morals and think nothing of ruining someones life for personal reasons.
People deserve to be protected in this way. PERIOD. You can disagree, but sorry - you are simply wrong. It is no longer the dark ages.

Cut the shit. No employer is plotting to steal away your lifetime accomplishments. In fact I'll wager not one employee you ever had gave a crap about anything you did when you were not on the clock.

Look you as an employee sell your labor to someone that is all you do. The employer buys your labor for as long as it is financially prudent to do so. He has no personal obligation to you whatsoever and really he has every right to terminate your employment if at any time he thinks you are not advancing the position of his business which is the one and only reason you were hired in the first place.

That is all a job is that is all a job ever has been that is all a job ever will be.

All this whining for protection is silly. Your employer has no obligation to make sure you can pay your bills he only has the obligation to pay you for the work you do as long as he sees fit to do so

From 2004-2013 I had a corporate division leader who was the ass of asses. One of those guys who climbed to the top via a spectacular skill of maneuvering himself in the right direction. The guy was uncanny, blatantly lying to avoid his name attached to something negative and equally lie to claim that he was deeply involved in decisions when things went well. When in truth, he rarely involved himself at all - which of course fit his M.O. completely. Because of his position, and the companies habit of following hierarchy like most large corporations do, anyone who went up against him no matter how right they were - very quickly found themselves in oblivion.
This man almost ruined my career. Like I said before, I ran two of their companies...and did an outstanding job at it. Even after 2008, we were still well above industry average margins. Make a long story short - he absolutely sabotaged a $2.2 mil deal because it would have made him look like a fool. Having thought the deal was dead, he rarely misaligned himself and set out to show how he was against it, and avoided losses. When it went through - he was furious...and I was the chief backer of the deal, therefore it was me who attracted his ire. He did everything in his power to spoil everything - and did just that. The company lost about $1.5 million in the process - and I was on the carpet for it. I was doomed. But as pure luck would have it I was recruited by one of the other companies involved that was aware of the situation and I managed to save my name.
By your opinion, that a boss owes no one anything...and can do whatever he wants and no one has any right under him - you agree that he is in the right.

If he was your employer then yes. It was his job to give and it was his job to take away. The job was never yours.
If he was just another employee of your employer who was given certain authorities over you then you had the ability to make your case to the actual employer

The world is full of assholes always has been always will be.

Not trying to sound like an ass...but your lack of experience in the corporate world shows.
You would know better than to say "you had the ability to make your case to actual employer".
Your right in that he wa not "the owner" of my job...but in a position of power over it.
I would refuse to believe that you do not know that whistle blowers always-always lose. In super rare cases they may actually win in court and get a sizable sum of money - but even then their career is completely in the toilet.
this notion of yours that the boss is always right is plain insane. Which is exactly why there are laws to protect, for instance, long-term employees and people over 50. It is downright medieval what companies do to highly compensated long-term employees just so they can replace them with cheaper individuals. And that is just one example.

Meshes in what way?

Probably more than you

I've worked for many different people in many different capacities and no matter where I worked there were always people who thought that somehow the job they held was theirs and not the employer's to give. They were invariably the people who felt they were entitled, caused the most discord and were let go more often than not

Now I just have to weed out the people like you during the interview process when I hire new people

Sorry, your just wrong. I get what you are saying, I do - but it does not apply to every workplace environment.
I am 51 years old, I have had a job working somewhere literally since I was 12 years old. I have worked for very large corporations, as well as small privately owned businesses.
We live in a modern society, and thankfully a country that seeks to protect the innocent. Including protecting someones lifelong accomplishments and property from being ruined by an evil employer that has it out for them.
Particularly as I get older I am more attuned to rights and fairness of older people that have given decades of their lives providing solid service to companies only to be stomped on by a newly hired boss.
Employers are not Gods. There are great bosses and truly evil bastards who have zero ethics or morals and think nothing of ruining someones life for personal reasons.
People deserve to be protected in this way. PERIOD. You can disagree, but sorry - you are simply wrong. It is no longer the dark ages.

Cut the shit. No employer is plotting to steal away your lifetime accomplishments. In fact I'll wager not one employee you ever had gave a crap about anything you did when you were not on the clock.

Look you as an employee sell your labor to someone that is all you do. The employer buys your labor for as long as it is financially prudent to do so. He has no personal obligation to you whatsoever and really he has every right to terminate your employment if at any time he thinks you are not advancing the position of his business which is the one and only reason you were hired in the first place.

That is all a job is that is all a job ever has been that is all a job ever will be.

All this whining for protection is silly. Your employer has no obligation to make sure you can pay your bills he only has the obligation to pay you for the work you do as long as he sees fit to do so

From 2004-2013 I had a corporate division leader who was the ass of asses. One of those guys who climbed to the top via a spectacular skill of maneuvering himself in the right direction. The guy was uncanny, blatantly lying to avoid his name attached to something negative and equally lie to claim that he was deeply involved in decisions when things went well. When in truth, he rarely involved himself at all - which of course fit his M.O. completely. Because of his position, and the companies habit of following hierarchy like most large corporations do, anyone who went up against him no matter how right they were - very quickly found themselves in oblivion.
This man almost ruined my career. Like I said before, I ran two of their companies...and did an outstanding job at it. Even after 2008, we were still well above industry average margins. Make a long story short - he absolutely sabotaged a $2.2 mil deal because it would have made him look like a fool. Having thought the deal was dead, he rarely misaligned himself and set out to show how he was against it, and avoided losses. When it went through - he was furious...and I was the chief backer of the deal, therefore it was me who attracted his ire. He did everything in his power to spoil everything - and did just that. The company lost about $1.5 million in the process - and I was on the carpet for it. I was doomed. But as pure luck would have it I was recruited by one of the other companies involved that was aware of the situation and I managed to save my name.
By your opinion, that a boss owes no one anything...and can do whatever he wants and no one has any right under him - you agree that he is in the right.

If he was your employer then yes. It was his job to give and it was his job to take away. The job was never yours.
If he was just another employee of your employer who was given certain authorities over you then you had the ability to make your case to the actual employer

Not trying to sound like an ass...but your lack of experience in the corporate world shows.
You would know better than to say "you had the ability to make your case to actual employer".
Your right in that he wa not "the owner" of my job...but in a position of power over it.
I would refuse to believe that you do not know that whistle blowers always-always lose. In super rare cases they may actually win in court and get a sizable sum of money - but even then their career is completely in the toilet.
this notion of yours that the boss is always right is plain insane. Which is exactly why there are laws to protect, for instance, long-term employees and people over 50. It is downright medieval what companies do to highly compensated long-term employees just so they can replace them with cheaper individuals. And that is just one example.

Most employers have something in their employment paperwork about right to fire/right to quit for any reason.
You have to be knowledgeable about the laws.
If your job has changed and they are combining it and moving it across country, do you have a case?

Most employers have something in their employment paperwork about right to fire/right to quit for any reason.
You have to be knowledgeable about the laws.
If your job has changed and they are combining it and moving it across country, do you have a case?

No you would not. An employer has a total right to eliminate a position at will...however some states provide protection if you fall under certain criteria.Laws differ from state to state, the "at will" status varies a lot depending on what state you are in. For instance in Indiana, as well as other states - there is the "implied" employment contract..meaning there does NOT have to be a signed employment contract if the employer has included in any policy stating "reasons for dismissal"...but of course to counter act that - businesses simply stopped providing employees with employee handbooks, or removed all references to dismissal policies.
It's complicated. And believe me, in the past 20 years in our corporatocracy we now live in - the rules are bent waaaaaay in favor of corporations.

Hard work does not always keep you employed

If you don't fit in, they will get rid of you
Yes this can happen, but you are swept out the door with your head high...with strong numbers, if you are in a field with numbers/sales you are going against, profit margins that can be compared...coworkers that will always say, I may not have gotten along with so and so, but she sure did work hard, accomplishments that can be put on your resume to get that next, step up job....

It's better in the long run, to just continue to work hard, till your last day...one of your coworkers who respected your work ethics, 20 years from now may run the company you are looking to work for...

There is solid reasons for the saying,

"Don't burn bridges you may have to cross later."

At least in my field of business.... which was a small small world, I had to learn that early on....

Meshes in what way?
In a complementing way....

....It's better in the long run, to just continue to work hard, till your last day...one of your coworkers who respected your work ethics, 20 years from now may run the company you are looking to work for...

There is solid reasons for the saying,

"Don't burn bridges you may have to cross later."

At least in my field of business.... which was a small small world, I had to learn that early on....

You bet.
As well as you never know who may be watching you...including customers.
I kept noticing this gal who worked the drive-thru in the morning at a Burger King of all places. I stopped there 3-4 times a week to get a large coffee, for some reason they have great coffee there...anyway...I then saw she also worked at a UPS Store right next to the BK she worked mornings. This woman busted ass.
So when a position opened up in production - I gave her my business card through the window and told her if she was interested in a job call me. That was about 8 years ago. She is a great employee, full-time with bene's making over three times her hourly rate at BK.
You never know.

Meshes in what way?

I don't know, are you looking for work?

Meshes in what way?

I am focusing more on the complementing part right now....

Meshes in what way?

I am focusing more on the complementing part right now....

You are good at that, especially with me for some reason..... you must sense a weakness....

You gotta get out of the Deep South. Up north they not only work, but work hard and work smart.

Forum List

Back