If you owned a business......?

What MOST Important In Hiring and Employee?

• Experience

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Compatability With Current Staff

• Education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Professionalism

• Ethics

• Flexibility

• Discretion

• Reliability

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Appearance

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Good References

• Team Mentality

• Total voters

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
... what would be the most important factor in hiring an employee?
What would be the top 3?

Here is the list, if you feel up to it, it would be very cool if you could RANK them in order:

Experience
Appearance
Compatible with Current Staff
Reliability
Education
Professionalism
Ethics
Good References
Flexibility (travel, overtime, weekends, tasks outside of job description etc.)
Team Mentality
Discretion/Confidentiality

Or just create you own list....

I don't own a business, but I think that ethics and team mentality, followed by reliability and professionalism, would be my top priorities in terms of hiring if I did.

I checked appearance and compatibility.

The guys would have to look like wimps, the girls would have to have big tatas, and get along with the boss. (me)

But, on the off chance it actually happened, reliability, and responsibility

I wonder if there is a way to get to know the "personality" of a company before going in for an interview, or, even when sending your resume.
It's been so long since I have done "job searching" - I would not know what employers look for in a resume or cover letter.
What they use most?

Indeed.com?
LinkedIn?

Also, I notice a lot of employers on their websites will ask for your Social Security Number (reputable companies too).
I think that is odd.

I think many companies want to do background checks before even seeing you... maybe that's why?

Depends on the business.

For instance in a tech field experience, and ability to work effectively as part of a team

In something like a bar it would be personality, professionalism and still ability to work effectively as Parr of a team....

what about an HR person or Executive Assistant?

... what would be the most important factor in hiring an employee?
What would be the top 3?

Here is the list, if you feel up to it, it would be very cool if you could RANK them in order:

Experience
Appearance
Compatible with Current Staff
Reliability
Education
Professionalism
Ethics
Good References
Flexibility (travel, overtime, weekends, tasks outside of job description etc.)
Team Mentality
Discretion/Confidentiality

Or just create you own list....
I've had a business for 30 years. Experience is good and might be necessary, depending on what it is, all things are important BUT nothing is as important as attitude. You can work with the right attitude and having all the attributes you mention with the wrong attitude would suck.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a way to get to know the "personality" of a company before going in for an interview, or, even when sending your resume.
It's been so long since I have done "job searching" - I would not know what employers look for in a resume or cover letter.
What they use most?

Indeed.com?
LinkedIn?

Also, I notice a lot of employers on their websites will ask for your Social Security Number (reputable companies too).
I think that is odd.

I think many companies want to do background checks before even seeing you... maybe that's why?
These Are the Skills That Employers Want, But MBAs Lack

Why Now is the Right Time for Older Workers to Job Hunt

What Your Resume Should Look Like in 2016

What they use most?

Indeed.com?
LinkedIn?

I think that is odd.

I'd never surrender my SS # for an application. That's a huge red flag. It's a job, not a marriage. As far as resumes, I would only want the facts and not some sales pitch or team player bullshit. But that's just me. Some companies want to own you and pretend the company is a religious institution and should be the focal point of your life.

In a shitty economy they can get away with it.

I liked the rank order you used Bonzi. Sometimes changes based on timing. For example if a long term employee is leaving education may be more important. Maybe a troublesome employee left and getting along becomes a priorty.

What they use most?

Indeed.com?
LinkedIn?

I think that is odd.

Social Security Number.

The company I am contracted to - before they contracted my job out, I signed a waiver if I remember correctly for them to do a credit check on me .

People these days leave one state to go work in another.

Sign another paper verifying any criminal history, and in case you lie - they have the state police do a criminal background check .

Questionable people of questionable character have a fancy for " getting hurt " and other mischief and filing a lawsuit. A good portion of which is settled out of court.

Questionable people most generally want a free ride & free money. So they file a lawsuit against a business or company.

Reputable and hard working people seldom file lawsuits against companies and businesses - so background checks essentially saves a company money by helping prevent tort litigation.

Not of severe debt, or have creditors chasing them, and of good character = most likely not a legal hazard.

Ulterior motives.

Shadow 355

Someone who is self-motivated is often capable of exceeding a company's expectations. They often have an innate sense of curiosity, a desire to learn and a drive to succeed. This is the single most important criteria to look for in hiring a new employee.

Pleasant personality; reliable and punctual; self starter; intelligent.

I have been an employer for 16 years and these are the traits I most value.

Forum List

Back