Working for Peace, One Wave at a Time

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I am sure everyone here will think this is a great idea.

One of the most creative Israeli-Palestinian coexistence initiatives has taken root on the beaches of Tel Aviv and Gaza City.

Since September of this year, Israel has faced an unprecedented wave of lone wolf stabbing and shooting attacks, further exacerbating the atmosphere of violence and mistrust between Israelis and Palestinians. But a small group of Israeli surfers remains undeterred, and are focusing on improving ties with their Palestinian counterparts in both Gaza and the West Bank through an innovative and groundbreaking initiative called Surfing 4 Peace.

Since its establishment in 2007, Surfing 4 Peace has provided surfing equipment to residents of the Gaza Strip in an effort to bridge cultural and political barriers. Initially established as a cultural bridge between Tel Aviv and Gaza, the initiative has blossomed into an international network of surfers from an array of ethnic and religious backgrounds.

At the helm of Surfing 4 Peace is Arthur Rashkovan, an Israeli surfing legend based in northern Tel Aviv. Affectionately known as Dr. Surf, his laid-back personality and sunny disposition seem more suited to Southern California than the Middle East. Born and raised by Tel Aviv’s famed Hilton Beach, Arthur is the embodiment of the city’s seaside culture. “The surf scene was blowing up at Hilton Beach in the late 1980s. It felt like a mini-Venice Beach, and I was naturally brought up in that culture,” he explains. “As a teenager it was a real conflict between my passion for surfing and my duty to my country.” At 17, with his father’s permission, Arthur accepted an invitation to become a counselor at the Paskowitz Surf Camp in San Clemente, California. Despite enjoying his time in California, Arthur felt his place was in Israel and returned home to serve in the Israel Defense Forces. “I didn’t have a lot of glorious jobs in the army, because I was always getting injured skating and surfing, but it was important for me to be home and do my duty,” he recalls.

Continue reading at:

I always wanted to try surfing when I was younger....but instead went with what is UNDER the water. Snorkeling was my fav water activity.

I always wanted to try surfing when I was younger....but instead went with what is UNDER the water. Snorkeling was my fav water activity.

Snorkeling sounds like fun, especially when you see so many different species of fish. I, too, wanted to trying surfing on a board, but the closest I came to surfing was body surfing. Now with shark sightings, I don't think I would even try that.

Snorkeling sounds like fun, especially when you see so many different species of fish. I, too, wanted to trying surfing on a board, but the closest I came to surfing was body surfing. Now with shark sightings, I don't think I would even try that.
Go to places that are surrounded with reef where it poked out the top of the water. Sharks don't like getting scraped. Neither do people. Only place I snorkel is Maui and the water is so darn clear, you can see anything coming from any direction. Just make sure to look behind you often, lol.

I am sure everyone here will think this is a great idea.

One of the most creative Israeli-Palestinian coexistence initiatives has taken root on the beaches of Tel Aviv and Gaza City.

Since September of this year, Israel has faced an unprecedented wave of lone wolf stabbing and shooting attacks, further exacerbating the atmosphere of violence and mistrust between Israelis and Palestinians. But a small group of Israeli surfers remains undeterred, and are focusing on improving ties with their Palestinian counterparts in both Gaza and the West Bank through an innovative and groundbreaking initiative called Surfing 4 Peace.

Since its establishment in 2007, Surfing 4 Peace has provided surfing equipment to residents of the Gaza Strip in an effort to bridge cultural and political barriers. Initially established as a cultural bridge between Tel Aviv and Gaza, the initiative has blossomed into an international network of surfers from an array of ethnic and religious backgrounds.

At the helm of Surfing 4 Peace is Arthur Rashkovan, an Israeli surfing legend based in northern Tel Aviv. Affectionately known as Dr. Surf, his laid-back personality and sunny disposition seem more suited to Southern California than the Middle East. Born and raised by Tel Aviv’s famed Hilton Beach, Arthur is the embodiment of the city’s seaside culture. “The surf scene was blowing up at Hilton Beach in the late 1980s. It felt like a mini-Venice Beach, and I was naturally brought up in that culture,” he explains. “As a teenager it was a real conflict between my passion for surfing and my duty to my country.” At 17, with his father’s permission, Arthur accepted an invitation to become a counselor at the Paskowitz Surf Camp in San Clemente, California. Despite enjoying his time in California, Arthur felt his place was in Israel and returned home to serve in the Israel Defense Forces. “I didn’t have a lot of glorious jobs in the army, because I was always getting injured skating and surfing, but it was important for me to be home and do my duty,” he recalls.

Continue reading at:

Thanks Sally for giving credit and publicity to the real leaders making peace across these communities.
It seems only the violence and battlecries get the media time and attention.
What happens when people start voting for people who can make peace instead of make war?
What if put value and defined leadership skills based on that? Who would be able to compete to win elections?

Forum List

Back