Work Has Value In and Of Itself

Shoobis1

Feb 3, 2011
Wisconsin, USA
I hope people don't call me a hateful jerk for bringing this up. It's too bad we live in such a caustic political environment.

Work has value in and of itself. It's not, as some people suggest, a necessary evil that we'd be better off without if it was possible. Work is necessary for a healthy mind. It helps build a strong mind, character, and good qualities. Even people who are millionaires continue to work, if they know what's good for them. People who don't work have a tendency to slowly regress and diminish as individuals. After retiring from their main job, people who continue working on something live longer, while people who just spend all their time relaxing die more quickly.

The ultimate goal for a healthy individual should be to support oneself through work. Self-sufficiency helps a person's self-esteem and keeps them mentally strong. This is why the ultimate goal of welfare should be to get people working and taking care of themselves. Giving people free housing, food, etc., while it may be necessary in the short term, can ultimately be harmful to a person if it deprives them of work. Letting someone live, in perpetuity, without paying their own way, is ultimately harmful to him. It's important to recognize this if we want to really help people who are down and out. If we really want to help them, we'll help them to take care of themselves. This should be the ultimate goal of welfare.

Goodwill has a slogan: Believe in the power of work. I think it's time we start believing.

Forum List

Back