Words you see misspelled a lot~

I like it when people mispell words that are ironic to mispell, like
intelligent
education
fastidious
meticulous
misspell

That sort of thing.

P.S., yay, I spelled all of those words right on the first try (I have dictionary.com bookmarked)

P.P.S. oh, and mispellings in thread titles can be funny depending on the topic; for example, "Federa Legislation To Legalize Pot?" I almost fixed that one but was like, "nah, that's too funny" :lol:

Accommodation
Liaison
Manoeuvre (especially you Yanks)
Labour (see above)
Foetus (see above)
Mum (see above) :eek:)

But the one I see misspelled a lot, and in many different variations, is hypocrisy....

I like it when people mispell words that are ironic to mispell, like
intelligent
education
fastidious
meticulous
misspell

That sort of thing.

P.S., yay, I spelled all of those words right on the first try (I have dictionary.com bookmarked)

P.P.S. oh, and mispellings in thread titles can be funny depending on the topic; for example, "Federa Legislation To Legalize Pot?" I almost fixed that one but was like, "nah, that's too funny" :lol:

This is a good site to find the most common ones:

A Study of Some of the Most Commonly Misspelled Words

Sadly, here is a real headline from my town:

Indianapolis, IN:

Who is to blame for the cirme in Indy?

Accommodation
Liaison
Labour (see above)
Foetus (see above)

But the one I see misspelled a lot, and in many different variations, is hypocrisy....

Your kind spells color weird too! (colour?) :wink:

(Oh, weird is another one I see a lot, people like to spell it wierd)

This is a good site to find the most common ones:

A Study of Some of the Most Commonly Misspelled Words

mischievous
pastime
occurred
separate
embarrass
preceding
indispensable
definitely
privilege
questionnaire

.... and all of the others from the (above) link. I am a horrible speller, but most of the words I mis-spell look right to me, when I type them, so I just say ... what the heck. Looks good to me. :lol:

:eusa_shifty: hmmmn .... is it mis-spell or misspell :confused:

I often type "your" when I mean "you're" or vice versa. In fact, for some strange reason I'm more likely to get that wrong than right, despite the fact that I fully understand which word is right.

My spelling and typing skills are abysmal for a man who was blessed with my education.

For example...have I just spelled abysmal correctly?

I'll have to look it up, just to be sure.

Why? I don't know. I use that word all the time, but that's just one of those words that I'm never quite sure about.

Ridiculous is another example of a word I often misspell. Corporation one I usually mistype, and government, another.

When I'm on a tear to get my thoughts down in ASCII, of course, those issues become less and less important to me.

That's what copyeditors are for.

Some people can just SEE the errors that we can't when we're editing our own work.

Accommodation
Liaison
Labour (see above)
Foetus (see above)

LO(U)L!

I think hypocrisy is often misspelled as "hypocracy" because either people are making a play on words or they've seen that play on words so many times they forgot the correct spelling.

Accommodation
Liaison
Labour (see above)
Foetus (see above)

We don't misspell those words. We have modified the format to fit OUR screens.:lol:

I often type "your" when I mean "you're" or vice versa. In fact, for some strange reason I'm more likely to get that wrong than right, despite the fact that I fully understand which word is right.

My spelling and typing skills are abysmal for a man who was blessed with my education.

Why? I don't know. I use that word all the time, but that's just one of those words that I'm never quite sure about.

Ridiculous is another example of a word I often misspell. Corporation one I usually mistype, and government, another.

When I'm on a tear to get my thoughts down in ASCII, of course, those issues become less and less important to me.

Some people can just SEE the errors that we can't when we're editing our own work.

No matter how carefully I look I never see my own spelling errors till after I hit submit.

My "favorite" is actually not a mispelling; rather, misuse. "irregardless." No such F-ING word. It's regardless.:evil:

Or if you're a redneck Texan: "hot water heater." WTF:confused:

The appliance actually heats COLD water you Lone Star Beer swilling morons.:evil:

And yes, I AM a native Texan and I can say that shit if I want.:cool:

I'm notorious for mixing up "you're" and "your" even though I know the difference.

Forum List

Back