Women's Studies??? Really?

You do realize that there are courses in men's studies.
True, it's listed in the school course catalog as Gay Studies 101 .. :cool:
There's at least one Master's Program in Men's Studies, not just a course in Gay Studies.

MSP 531: Rites of Passage: Ancient and Modern (3 credits)
MSP 532: Developmental Male Psychology (3 credits)
MSP 533: Issues in Male Sexuality (3 credits)

Plus nine additional credits selected from the following courses:

MSP 534: Men in Literature (3 credits)
MSP 535: Issues Facing Men (3 credits)
MSP 536: Models of Masculinity (3 credits)
MSP 537: Marriage and Fatherhood (3 credits)
MSP 538: Male Victimization (3 credits)
MPS 539: Male Archetypes (3 credits)
MSP 540: Men’s/Fathers’ Rights (3 credits)
MSP 541: Patriarchy (3 credits)
MSP 542: Male Spirituality (3 credits)

Online Master?s Degree Available in Men?s Studies | Men on the Moon

There's at least one Master's Program in Men's Studies, not just a course in Gay Studies.

Wow, plus a few credits in Urban Education and Gay & Lesbian Studies I can get a college degree that will prepare me for the workforce?!

Last edited:

Wow, plus a few credits in Urban Education and Gay & Lesbian Studies I can get a college degree that will prepare me for the workforce?!

You bet.

Women's Studies??? Women should be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant.

Now you're gonna get it.....
Do you know who you’re messing with? When ghosts go camping, they tell PoliticalChic stories! Running with the bulls? I’m the one chasing ‘em!
I have a black belt in Karioke!

And....for edification....if that's possible...

"The Natural Superiority of Women, 5th Edition [Paperback]
Ashley Montagu

Among the central issues of the modern feminist movement, the debate over biology and culture over sex and gender, over genetics and gender roles has certainly been one of the most passionately contested. Making revolutionary arguments upon its first publication in 1953, The Natural Superiority of Women stands as one of the original feminist arguments against biological determinism. An iconoclast, Montagu wielded his encyclopedic knowledge of physical anthropology in critique of the conventional wisdom of women as the "weaker sex," showing how women's biological, genetic, and physical makeup made her not only man's equal, but his superior."
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Natural-Superiority-Women-Edition/dp/076198982X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367249127&sr=8-2&keywords=on+the+natural+superiority+of+women]The Natural Superiority of Women, 5th Edition: Ashley Montagu: 9780761989820: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

All of that, and you are still so insecure.

No one is afraid of you.

Do you know who you’re messing with? When ghosts go camping, they tell PoliticalChic stories! Running with the bulls? I’m the one chasing ‘em!

Ashley Montagu

Among the central issues of the modern feminist movement, the debate over biology and culture over sex and gender, over genetics and gender roles has certainly been one of the most passionately contested. Making revolutionary arguments upon its first publication in 1953, The Natural Superiority of Women stands as one of the original feminist arguments against biological determinism. An iconoclast, Montagu wielded his encyclopedic knowledge of physical anthropology in critique of the conventional wisdom of women as the "weaker sex," showing how women's biological, genetic, and physical makeup made her not only man's equal, but his superior."
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Natural-Superiority-Women-Edition/dp/076198982X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367249127&sr=8-2&keywords=on+the+natural+superiority+of+women]The Natural Superiority of Women, 5th Edition: Ashley Montagu: 9780761989820: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

All of that, and you are still so insecure.

No one is afraid of you.
We get it, you're a touchy-feely kinda guy. That's cool these days.

Men have been studying women forever, but haven't made much progress. What does that say about men?

It must be admitted men have a pretty sad history of violence, dominance, rape, crime and war compared to women. We could think there was some kind of genetic problem. The odd thing is, nearly 100% of men are raised and largely educated by women! So, what the 'heck' is going on?

Maybe, just maybe, what we need is (now don't think me too radical here, and certainly don't 'neg' me!) human studies. You know, like understand what it means in this universe to be the kind of entity a human is.

All right, perhaps that is just too much of a dream. Nevertheless, it's something I've been thinking about and hoping for since I first started confronting my own being a long, long time ago. Science and philosophy have much to tell us. We should listen. Just studying one gender or the other, the dualistic approach to so much that is so dominant in the world, just doesn't 'hack it'.

Oh, and I'm not stalking anyone!

Last edited:

This is a master's program. People that get these type of degrees have 4 year degrees and usually a job and are seeking to specialize. For example, a master degree in Women's studies could be helpful to a lawyer, counselor, social worker, or many other fields that work exclusively with women.

Some men are sexist and believe that women should be confined to the kitchen and the bedroom. I disagree. I think that women should be required to clean EVERY room in the house.

JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ultimate measure of a man's success is how happy he makes his wife. No joke on that one folks.

Women: If there is something better in the entire universe, I haven't heard of it.

Just remember, God created man first. If man were adequate and self-sufficient, there would have been no need for further Divine action.

As they say, you always have to make one first to get the second right.

Ashley Montagu

Women are superior to men in some things, Men are superior to women is some things, That's the way G-d made us, one compliments the other. A women doesn't haft to be a man to be his equal.

Interesting, I don't see this degree on the schools website. However, here's some other "degrees" I can earn at this prestigous and highly selective *unaccredited* university; a Diploma in in Therapeutic Breathwork Studies.

Great example, really great.

Dear PC: maybe one good purpose of women's studies IS to find out
the cause and solution to issues of disparity, and NOT blame the wrong things.

I agree with you, you cannot find objective answers if
you go into the studies ASSUMING where biases or problems are coming from.

In general, there are innate differences with men and women, where women tend to think
relativistically or holistically "in relation" with input or concerns of others,
while men tend to think autonomously and "compartmentalize" and divide
jurisdiction into hiearachies and pecking orders.

whether this is spiritually or socially conditioned, what are the solutions?

Note: the two theories I find most interesting as to where the differences in society
came about
1. the spiritual process of moving from matriarchal dominant societies and cultures,
to patriarchal lineage and hierachal authority we see now, to more egalitarian/cooperative
isonomic type democratic relations, institutions and decision making models of governance.

2. the social development process of valuing the work of men as meat hunters more than the agricultural work of field hands or of women picking harvests, which has been argued as the reason men's roles began to be valued in society above women's roles until the workforce became more evenly keeled

so those two theories are well worth investigating and understanding if we are going
to address relgious and political biases with systems of society and government
and try to be more fair and inclusive while recognizing differences that continue to exist.

maybe you might be more comfortable with gender studies, or church-state studies
which would also inevitably end up addressing a lot of the same issues with cultural bias.

Women's Studies??? I thought that would be parallel parking and balancing the checkbook...
What The Heck Happened to Feminism?

1. It is so difficult to discuss feminism, when keeping up with definitions of who is female is becoming a full time job. "Transgendered - an umbrella term that includes a wide range of identities and includes pre-operative, postoperative, and non-operative transsexual people. In its general sense, it refers to anyone whose behavior or identity falls outside of stereotypical expectations for their gender." http://handouts.aacrao.org/am08/finished/T0415p_K_Posey.pdf

2. But, for a moment, let's be quaint and pretend that 'anatomy is destiny,' and there are only males, and females. And the latter is the group to whom the term 'feminism' applies. Simply arguendo.

3. Gender studies departments are ubiquitous in colleges, but incorrectly named, as they are oriented toward only one gender. In fact, 'studying' the female experience and female sexuality, students explore the male experience and male sexuality, but from a feminist perspective. What this means, with few exceptions, is the interpretation of men's lives in line with the doctrine that men are, by definition, oppressors, warmongers, potential rapists, the beneficiaries of patriarchal social structures, and should be views through this negative feminist lens.

a. "Any expressed wish for a traditional career as a homemaker is quashed at a young age by a prevailing feminist mentality in schools and colleges. The resulting mental conflict often makes young women confused and angry."
Angry young women
Any wonder why many refer to the departments as "Angry Women's Studies"?

4. While Women's Studies was supposed to give a voice to 'silenced' women, those who dissent from its orthodoxy have themselves felt silenced by intolerant professors and even students, the fierce enforcers of dogma.

a. In "Professing Feminism," Patai and Koertge found the following with respect to women's studies.... "Students are being cheated. I feel really bad for them, because they're not being given an education. And you know, once they're in women's studies, it's like Stepford Wives. Women's studies turns them into ideologically inflamed Stepford Wives. I was always able to recognize it when these kids come, kind of zombified, and start uttering stock phrases. Politics is driving out their ability to think."

b. From the blurb of Katie Roiphe's "The Morning After: Sex, Fear and Feminism on Campus":
"To Katie Roiphe, feminism had always meant freedom — but as an undergraduate at Harvard and a graduate at Princeton, she was shocked to discover that the same movement that had once promised women a voice was now being used to tell them what they ought to say and think and feel."

5. The widespread antagonism toward male-identified traditions results in a slovenly approach to the whole business of teaching: a lack of preparedness, sloppily written syllabi, and so on. For many Women's Studies practitioners, the attempt is made to reject the entire edifice of civilization as a product of male culture. If Friedan and Greer encouraged women to charge boldly into formerly male-dominated fields, and to strive for excellence in competition with men, in Women's Studies today, the entire concept of merit is often viewed with suspicion as too masculinist, and as some sort of threat to harmony and self-esteem.

6. Can we mention the 'math problem'? Yes....many female students fall behind in math and science, but rather than encourage them to work harder, Women's Studies professors are likely to inform them that the problem lies not in their own shortcomings, but in the fields themselves. Math and science, they are told, are of limited value because these subjects are based on "male" ways of knowing, i.e., rationality, that ignores "female," or emotionally centered ways of understanding the world. We should beware, it seems, of strictly intellectual endeavors.
Bawer, "The Victim's Revolution"

a. "Words of Power: A Feminist Reading of the History of Logic (Thinking Gender)" by Andrea Nye...." In a series of studies of the logics of historical figures--Parmenides, Plato, Aristotle, Zeno, Abelard, Ockham, and Frege--she traces the changing interrelationships between logical innovation and oppressive speech strategies, showing that logic is not transcendent truth but abstract forms of language spoken by men, whether Greek ruling citizens, or scientists."
Words of Power: A Feminist Reading of the History of Logic (Thinking Gender): Andrea Nye: 9780415902007: Amazon.com: Books

b. And this, from Nye's book, is what passes for learning in many Women's Studies courses: "Desperate, lonely, cut off from the human community which in many cases has ceased to exist, under the sentence of violent death, wracked by desires for intimacy that they do not know how to fulfill, at the same time tormented by the presence of women, men turn to logic."
What????

Separatism, gender superiority or inferiority.....is this how we wish to raise our daughters?

A reminder:In colleges and universities, programs, and departments of African-American Studies, Ethnic Studies, Feminist Studies, Peace Studies, and LGBT (Lesbian/Gay/Bi-sexual/Transgender) Studies can all be traced to the ascendance of neo-Marxism, and the drumbeat attacks on Western civilization.

PC I am more concerned about where these studies are heading, what solutions are we going to come up with for why people have cultural bias issues for whatever reason to pick with each other, from either the left or the right or wherever. Regardless where these questions arose, what answers are we going to get that everyone agrees are helpful?

Women Studies, African American Studies, Gay and Lesbian Studies, Child Advocacy Studies, etc.

It's no secret that these types of degrees are generally worthless. I love to call these types of fields, 'Ponzi-Scheme Degrees.' For the simple reason that these types of degrees really serve no purpose other than to teach someone else what you have learned about these particular studies. There are really very few job opportunities in these particular fields other than teaching.

Women Studies, African American Studies, Gay and Lesbian Studies, Child Advocacy Studies, etc.

It's no secret that these types of degrees are generally worthless. I love to call these types of fields, 'Ponzi-Scheme Degrees.' For the simple reason that these types of degrees really serve no purpose other than to teach someone else what you have learned about these particular studies. There are really very few job opportunities in these particular fields other than teaching.
Not all but most of these programs are minors not majors. Also there are some that are degrees at a Master's level. I think you would be surprised at how many jobs this type of education dovetails into. There are a lot of jobs in fields like social welfare, public relations, law, and counselling that this type education could be an important adjunct to other education and experience.

Forum List

Back