Women's Status in Religion

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
I know this is a loaded topic, but it's one that has always affected the way I view religion.

Even in Theravadin Buddhism, a nun of 40 years still has to bow to a monk of one day, and not vice versa. Monks have a higher status than nuns in Buddhism. It was controversial for my Lama, Chagdud Rinpoche to ordain Western women as Lamas.

Discuss.

I don't see any religion superior to another in terms of women's roles.

• Banned
Not even the Dalai Lama understood. He had a meeting with Western Buddhist teachers and some of the women brought up the inequality in Buddhism and His Holiness didn't understand.

He has since changed and stated that the world will be saved by Western women.

Last edited:
Not even the Dalai Lama understood. He had a meeting with Western Buddhist teachers and some of the women brought up the inequality in Buddhism and His Holiness didn't understand.

He has since changed and stated that the world will be saved by Western women.
I believe that is a prediction that has a good chance of ringing true.

As far as women's equal rights, the Western world is more advanced than other cultures in that respect.

Frankly, religion is so private and individualized to me, that no man or woman has any effect on my view, regardless of how they may view women themselves.

• Banned
Frankly, religion is so private and individualized to me, that no man or woman has any effect on my view, regardless of how they may view women themselves.

I have a close friend who is Catholic and she has always wanted to be a priest. It pains me that she can't be. She would be wonderful.

I know this is a loaded topic, but it's one that has always affected the way I view religion.

Even in Theravadin Buddhism, a nun of 40 years still has to bow to a monk of one day, and not vice versa. Monks have a higher status than nuns in Buddhism. It was controversial for my Lama, Chagdud Rinpoche to ordain Western women as Lamas.

Discuss.

Wicca?

Unitarians?

• Banned

Discuss.

Wicca?

Unitarians?

Hmm, I don't know. Ask a Wiccan or a Unitarian.

Naw ... I don't care that much. I was just throwing them in as possibilities for something you might consider having better women's roles than Buddhism or Catholicism.

I personally would defend a gender division of labor in religions. Men and women are different. Women have an undeniable importance in spirituality. What do men have? They need a more outwardly defined role or they'll tend to be crowded out of religions the same way many have been crowded out of family life.

I'm not sure what you mean Amelia. Can you elaborate on the gender divisions?

Last time I checked, men are well represented in position of power in relgion.

Sorry. I don't understand your question. Something is not clicking.

Of course men are well represented in positions of power in religion. And I defend this.

Because if they didn't have formal representation, I think they would check out of religion.

It's hard to stop women from getting involved in spirituality and family. They don't need vestments and trappings and hierarchy to encourage them. Men need more structure than women do. Men need Boy Scouts and the army and titles and crad like that to cement their belonging. Women find it easier to belong. The division of labor - the representation in positions of power - give men an invitation to belong in a safe way free from busybody women.

I'm a sexist. I think women are naturally superior and men need more encouragement. Reserving leadership roles for men and paying them special respect is a way to encourage them.

I'm a sexist. I think women are naturally superior and men need more encouragement. Reserving leadership roles for men and paying them special respect is a way to encourage them.

Very heterosexual of you.:badgrin:

Christ taught His disciples that "But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant." (Matthew 23:11)

I can't tell those of other religions what to do. But my take from Christ is that we can all become servants. Offices aren't what make us great, it's our service to other. Service is what brings true power anyway.

Christ taught His disciples that "But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant." (Matthew 23:11)

I can't tell those of other religions what to do. But my take from Christ is that we can all become servants. Offices aren't what make us great, it's our service to other. Service is what brings true power anyway.

What does this have to do with the topic?

The Shakers, a 19th Century American Christian group founded by Ann Lee, believed that God has both male and female aspects. Jewish mysticism is much more balanced in its treatment of male/female dualities than 'mainstream' Judeo-Christian thought.

The Hindu religion is one of the only major world religions other than Neopaganism which today worships Goddesses.

Buddhists have female Buddhas, Tara is one. Quan Yin is another.

Last edited:

Discuss.

All religions are about control and power. Holding the control and power over others is tantamount. Men have always wanted control over women, that desire is older then all religions. Religions have followed and arranged themselves to cement that desire.

So much for rules and aspirations. :thup:

Discuss.

All religions are about control and power. Holding the control and power over others is tantamount. Men have always wanted control over women, that desire is older then all religions. Religions have followed and arranged themselves to cement that desire.

I was under the impression that all religions were about connecting with the Divine.

Discuss.

I was under the impression that all religions were about connecting with the Divine.

They have that aspect, yes. I see other things however. If it was only with connecting with the divine you would not need to be instructed on how it is done. Within the instruction is the control.

They have that aspect, yes. I see other things however. If it was only with connecting with the divine you would not need to be instructed on how it is done. Within the instruction is the control.

How exactly are you supposed to learn if not instructed?

Forum List

Back