Women and Tools

Andrew2382

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2008
FOXNews.com - Lost Bag Forces Change of Plans for Spacewalks - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Lost Bag Forces Change of Plans for Spacewalks

Flight controllers were revamping plans Wednesday for the remaining spacewalks planned during space shuttle Endeavour's visit to the international space station, after a crucial tool bag floated out to space during a repair trip.

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she cleaned and lubed a gummed-up joint on a wing of solar panels on the space station.

She and fellow astronaut Stephen Bowen were midway through the first of four spacewalks planned for the mission. The tool bag was one of the largest items ever lost by a spacewalker.

As Stefanyshyn-Piper cleaned up a large gob of grease that seeped from a gun used to lubricate the joint, the tool case somehow became untethered from a larger bag and floated away along with a pair of grease guns, wipes and a putty knife attached to it.

"What it boils down to is all it takes is one small mistake for a tether not to be hooked up quite correctly or to slip off, and that's what happened here," said lead spacewalk officer John Ray

Stefanyshyn-Piper and Bowen finished the spacewalk in almost seven hours by sharing tools from Bowen's bag. Ray noted that Stefanyshyn-Piper showed "real character and great discipline" by continuing on.

She was the first woman to be assigned as lead spacewalker for a shuttle flight.

Women! This is why we don't let you in the garage. One minute I have my screwdriver the next its floating towards Jupiter!

THE TITLE IS SUPPOSE TO BE WOMEN AND TOOLS, NOT TOLLS OBVIOSULY

Last edited:
FOXNews.com - Lost Bag Forces Change of Plans for Spacewalks - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Lost Bag Forces Change of Plans for Spacewalks

Flight controllers were revamping plans Wednesday for the remaining spacewalks planned during space shuttle Endeavour's visit to the international space station, after a crucial tool bag floated out to space during a repair trip.

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she cleaned and lubed a gummed-up joint on a wing of solar panels on the space station.

She and fellow astronaut Stephen Bowen were midway through the first of four spacewalks planned for the mission. The tool bag was one of the largest items ever lost by a spacewalker.

As Stefanyshyn-Piper cleaned up a large gob of grease that seeped from a gun used to lubricate the joint, the tool case somehow became untethered from a larger bag and floated away along with a pair of grease guns, wipes and a putty knife attached to it.

"What it boils down to is all it takes is one small mistake for a tether not to be hooked up quite correctly or to slip off, and that's what happened here," said lead spacewalk officer John Ray

Stefanyshyn-Piper and Bowen finished the spacewalk in almost seven hours by sharing tools from Bowen's bag. Ray noted that Stefanyshyn-Piper showed "real character and great discipline" by continuing on.

She was the first woman to be assigned as lead spacewalker for a shuttle flight.

Women! This is why we don't let you in the garage. One minute I have my screwdriver the next its floating towards Jupiter!

THE TITLE IS SUPPOSE TO BE WOMEN AND TOOLS, NOT TOLLS OBVIOSULY

The garage is my husband's domain. I can never find anything in there when I need to so I asked him years ago for my own set of tools for Christmas. They came in a pink box, perfect, had a little box of picture hangers, and pink hammer, screw driver, all the necessary things for quick repairs or hanging pictures around the house. Then my husband started using them as he couldn't find anything in that garage either. Worse, he decided I didn't have enough tools, so he bought me more, took all my little pretty pink tools out of the pink toolbox and bought an ugly stepping stool toolbox and stuck all the stuff he wants in it. He's even lost my tape measure. That stepping stool toolbox is ALWAYS in my way. I'm about to put these tools out in the garage and go buy myself another little set of tools.

MEN!!!

I was interested because I thought your thread was entitled, "Women and Trolls"! The images running through my head! LOL!

Women and Tools... I see,
Yeah keeping track of tools or even knowing their names are not too high of a priority on most women's lists.

Whats interesting about the article, is she was the first women to be appoitned as lead spacewalker and let the tool bag float out into space

Good job

Goodness gracious. Men and tools. Men are to their tools as women are to their shoes. There's way too many than necessary. As if their organ gets bigger every time they get a new one...

The garage is my husband's domain. I can never find anything in there when I need to so I asked him years ago for my own set of tools for Christmas. They came in a pink box, perfect, had a little box of picture hangers, and pink hammer, screw driver, all the necessary things for quick repairs or hanging pictures around the house. Then my husband started using them as he couldn't find anything in that garage either. Worse, he decided I didn't have enough tools, so he bought me more, took all my little pretty pink tools out of the pink toolbox and bought an ugly stepping stool toolbox and stuck all the stuff he wants in it. He's even lost my tape measure. That stepping stool toolbox is ALWAYS in my way. I'm about to put these tools out in the garage and go buy myself another little set of tools.

MEN!!!
:lol: My wife has never used a tool in her life. In return I have two drawers in her kitchen dedicated to me. One is my "man drawer" with a 1/2 dozen or so tools and a few supplies to do little jobs to keep her happy without having to trudge downstairs for my real tools, like hanging pictures or making minor repairs. The other is in the fridge and its for beer, my reward for making her happy.

Goodness gracious. Men and tools. Men are to their tools as women are to their shoes. There's way too many than necessary. As if their organ gets bigger every time they get a new one...

You can never have too many tools

can't speak for other men but mine does...I have a LOT of tools!

My wife runs a miter saw with the best of them. Shes hell on wheels with a sawz-all too.

There is something sexy about a hot chick with a power tool.

$images.jpg

Caligirl's favorite activity is firing up the chipper shredder, clearing brush, and building up the compost.

Chipping and shredding. Me likey. So cathartic.

but yeah, hubby is way more tuned into tools in general. I can try to get his attention all morning no luck, but if Eric across the street (50 yards away) starts a new power tool hubby is at the window in thirty seconds flat to see what it is.

You can never have too many tools

Of course you can't. Cuz y'all keep losing the friggen things. Too damned lazy to put it back in the box, so you throw it in a drawer, and from there it gets lost.

I actually HAVE my own tool box, which manages to stay completely intact, and lives in the kitchen.

(And yes I know what they are and how to use them.)

Forum List

Back