Woman Takes Husband’s Guns, Turns Them In – What She Didn’t Expect Was The Police’s Reaction

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A woman allegedly found herself living in constant fear due to her husband’s abusive behavior.

According to an arrest affidavit, Joseph Irby of Lakeland followed his estranged wife, Courtney Taylor Irby, as she left the courthouse before repeatedly rear-ending the back of her car with his own vehicle. He then went on a relentless tirade, angrily screaming at her in rage over their divorce proceedings.

Instead of leaving the legal process up to the justice system, Courtney decided that her husband shouldn’t have the right to his property anymore. Using the excuse that she was afraid of her soon-to-be ex-husband, she broke into his apartment and took his handgun and rifle before driving them over to the Lakeland Police Department. However, once she proudly handed over her estranged husband’s legally-owned guns, she couldn’t believe the authorities’ response.

According to The Washington Post, Courtney was immediately arrested and charged with grand theft of a firearm and armed burglary when she admitted to breaking into her estranged husband’s home and stealing his guns. She subsequently spent six days in jail before she was granted bond.

“So are you telling me that you committed an armed burglary?” the officer asked.

“Yes, I am, but he wasn’t going to turn them in, so I am doing it,” she told him.

After officers reached out to Joseph, who was still at the Polk County Jail, he confirmed that he wanted to press charges against Courtney for stealing his weapons. She told the police officer that she wanted to hand in his guns because she didn’t think he would do it himself.

“The police officer asked if she had taken her husband’s firearms without his permission. When she replied yes, he told her that she was confessing to a crime,” Lakeland Police Department told HuffPost.

The police have argued that the situation is unwinnable. On one hand, there is a woman who believes that her safety is at risk. On the other hand, it doesn’t give her the right to break into someone’s home and take their property.

Women get incredible leeway with the legal system, but yeah, burglary and theft of firearms is frowned upon in FL.....Even with Huff & Puff and WaPo shilling for her.

LOL.....If I was the judge, I'd order them to be wed forever just to protect the rest of society from them.
smiley_abused.gif

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if the charges stick.

A woman allegedly found herself living in constant fear due to her husband’s abusive behavior.

According to an arrest affidavit, Joseph Irby of Lakeland followed his estranged wife, Courtney Taylor Irby, as she left the courthouse before repeatedly rear-ending the back of her car with his own vehicle. He then went on a relentless tirade, angrily screaming at her in rage over their divorce proceedings.

Instead of leaving the legal process up to the justice system, Courtney decided that her husband shouldn’t have the right to his property anymore. Using the excuse that she was afraid of her soon-to-be ex-husband, she broke into his apartment and took his handgun and rifle before driving them over to the Lakeland Police Department. However, once she proudly handed over her estranged husband’s legally-owned guns, she couldn’t believe the authorities’ response.

According to The Washington Post, Courtney was immediately arrested and charged with grand theft of a firearm and armed burglary when she admitted to breaking into her estranged husband’s home and stealing his guns. She subsequently spent six days in jail before she was granted bond.

“So are you telling me that you committed an armed burglary?” the officer asked.

“Yes, I am, but he wasn’t going to turn them in, so I am doing it,” she told him.

After officers reached out to Joseph, who was still at the Polk County Jail, he confirmed that he wanted to press charges against Courtney for stealing his weapons. She told the police officer that she wanted to hand in his guns because she didn’t think he would do it himself.

“The police officer asked if she had taken her husband’s firearms without his permission. When she replied yes, he told her that she was confessing to a crime,” Lakeland Police Department told HuffPost.

The police have argued that the situation is unwinnable. On one hand, there is a woman who believes that her safety is at risk. On the other hand, it doesn’t give her the right to break into someone’s home and take their property.

Women get incredible leeway with the legal system, but yeah, burglary and theft of firearms is frowned upon in FL.....Even with Huff & Puff and WaPo shilling for her.

LOL.....If I was the judge, I'd order them to be wed forever just to protect the rest of society from them.
smiley_abused.gif
Apparently she's still alive, being the first consideration. She acted illegally because she believed that her life was endangered.

Therefore, it's reasonable to suggest that she succeeded in being put in a safe place for 6 days.

And as well, she's placed the onus on the police and great responsibility on police to ensure that she's not harmed by her husband.

Keep us all informed if this ends up in another murder by an angered husband who then turns the gun on himself.

You would do that for us wouldn't you?

This space.......................... for a cowboy in a white chair that's placed appropriately to make his narrow shoulders look broader.

smiley_abused.gif
Whew! What a relief. Sure, she is sure to be killed by her irate husband but his guns are safe. Priorities, people.

Whew! What a relief. Sure, she is sure to be killed by her irate husband but his guns are safe. Priorities, people.
In court if she proves that she felt her life was in danger I reckon the charges get dropped

Now she needs to file charges against him for rear-ending her.
The main thing is that she was safe for 6 days while he hopefully cooled down.
And now she has the police paying very close attention to the situation. She couldn't have handled the situation better!

Our friend 1sressuc shot off his foot when he gave us this one! He might get even by showing us his cowboy?

The main thing is that she was safe for 6 days while he hopefully cooled down.
And now she has the police paying very close attention to the situation. She couldn't have handled the situation better!

Our friend 1sressuc shot off his foot when he gave us this one! He might get even by showing us his cowboy?
He was in jail too you dolt......He might have had her shanked for two packs. ;)

This one has been counterspun and defused, unless we are forced to see the cowboy again?

Apparently she's still alive, being the first consideration. She acted illegally because she believed that her life was endangered.

Therefore, it's reasonable to suggest that she succeeded in being put in a safe place for 6 days.

And as well, she's placed the onus on the police and great responsibility on police to ensure that she's not harmed by her husband.

Keep us all informed if this ends up in another murder by an angered husband who then turns the gun on himself.

You would do that for us wouldn't you?

This space.......................... for a cowboy in a white chair that's placed appropriately to make his narrow shoulders look broader.
Don't you mean..."quarterback"? Never mind. We can talk about it on Monday. :)

Forum List

Back