Woman Sues Amex for letting her rack up debt

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
http://cbsnewyork.com/local/NYC--FakePrincessLaws-nyn/resources_news_html

Fake Saudi princess-model countersues American Express
Thursday November 25, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) It's not my fault. I'm mentally ill. That's the argument a woman is using to sue American Express for two (M) million dollars after she ran up nearly one (M) million dollar in charges and couldn't pay the bill.

Prosecutors say the woman - 40-year-old Antoinette Millard - posed as a Saudi princess to steal hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. She is now suing America Express saying she was mentally incompetent when she opened her account and the company should have known it.

The woman is free on 100-thousand dollars bail and awaiting trial on attempted grand larceny charges. Besides the phony princess the woman is also accused of posing as a Victoria's Secret model, which she was not.

Millard's lawsuit says American Express gave her a prestigious Centurion ``Black'' card at a time when she was suffering from anorexia, depression, panic attacks, head tumors and by reason of such illnesses was mentally incompetent. The card is for people who charge more than 150-thousand dollars a year, and carries a 25-hundred dollar annual fee. Her lawsuit says American Express should have known that Millard was acting impulsively and irrationally at the time she accepted the card.

She also is charged with grand larceny for allegedly trying to steal 262-thousand dollars from an insurance company by falsely reporting that her jewelry had been stolen. The Manhattan district attorney's office says Millard was arrested in May at her Manhattan home, had in fact sold the jewelry and then tried to collect insurance on it. She is charged with insurance fraud, attempted grand larceny and possession of a forged instrument.

Millard faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted on the insurance fraud charge, the top count.

Damn, I'm depressed and have panic attacks, can I go on a flippin' shopping spree and not have to pay for it?
Anyone got the number to American Express?? :D

-Cp said:
The woman is free on 100-thousand dollars bail and awaiting trial on attempted grand larceny charges.

Did she put the bail on the same card? :D

Seriously, though... yet another example of someone failing to take responsibility for their own actions. Sad.

Don't forget the Credit card companies responsibility here folks..
They could have cut her off anytime they wanted to..

I'm not saying she shouldn't have to pay her debt, but I see the card companies
extending credit all the time when they shouldn't, which in my mind is a bad business decision.
They'll come after you like a bunch of sharks. I think it's time they started taking a hit for "their"
bad business practices. and BTW these credit card companies are moving to change the Bankruptcy laws in the
Country, so they can continue the practice of extending credit to someone that shouldn't have it, without loss to them.

It's a BIG problem.

Mr. P said:
Don't forget the Credit card companies responsibility here folks..
They could have cut her off anytime they wanted to..

I'm not saying she shouldn't have to pay her debt, but I see the card companies
extending credit all the time when they shouldn't, which in my mind is a bad business decision.
They'll come after you like a bunch of sharks. I think it's time they started taking a hit for "their"
bad business practices. and BTW these credit card companies are moving to change the Bankruptcy laws in the
Country, so they can continue the practice of extending credit to someone that shouldn't have it, without loss to them.

It's a BIG problem.

I agree with this. It used to be difficult to get a high credit card amount, now they give credit cards to anyone, even people who they know are a credit risk. Look at all the companies targeting collage students, most of these kids aren't making much money, yet they're encouraged to get one credit card after another.
Now clearly people should be responsible with their money and pay off the dept. Making declairing bankruptcy harder is a possible answer. But if credit card companies would stop extending credit to everyone and their dog things would change also.

Forum List

Back