Without education, what kind of jobs will be available to young Americans?

It should not be lost in all this that our universities are by far the best in the world, and that international students in the hundreds of thousands flock to the US (a strong majority from the very countries with which some like to compare us unfavorably) to study in our junior and senior high schools as well as universities.

This is simply not true. What are you basing it on?]

This, jackass http://www.topuniversities.com/top-100-universities-in-the-world-2011

What's that nonukes? You clearly see that I'm right and now you feel really stupid? Well, I don't blame you but try not to take it too hard.

What's that nonukes? You clearly see that I'm right and now you feel really stupid? Well, I don't blame you but try not to take it too hard.

What's that...there is a vast number of temporary immigrants on student visas going to those schools...?

It means nothing to have those ranked universities unless we send a lot of our own citizens there.

We don't.

What's that...there is a vast number of temporary immigrants on student visas going to those schools...?

It means nothing to have those ranked universities unless we send a lot of our own citizens there.

We don't.

We do.

American students are the vast majority at all of those American universities listed. Nice try at being pessimistic, but turn in your black turtleneck sweater and go home.

I can't help but think this comes down to family values. In our family, there was never a question our son would go to college, it was just which one. The same values in my home as a child.

But, of the the friends my son hung around with, he was the only one furthering his education. To this day, none of them have a home to call their own where my son just built his third home. And he felt he wasn't driven enough when he was a child because I didn't demand A's from the excellent private school he attended.

Now he expects all A"s from his children and has them go through on line education in addition to public school.

It is what is excpected from the start.

Well, when you say "Americans" is sure sounds as if you are trying to speak for "Americans." Are you with me so far? Clearly the likes of you cannot speak for all Americans, that's why I told you to speak for yourself, douchebag. That clear it up for ya?

Talk about a need to sober up...you're less rational than usual so far.

I was my opinion, and the opinion of many people worldwide, not speaking FOR Americans.

Then you need to work on your English skills (among other things).

Sorry about that, I was typing quickly with my son talking to me, but I was still correct.

Did not, and still do not have time to check out the link. I will get to it, because I am in the European academic community, and the link should be interesting, one way or the other.

Had a quick glance at the link. Of the top ten schools, three of them are from the UK. If you compare the size of the two countries and the number of colleges in each country, the UK blows the US out of the water.

Who did this list, and what was it based on?

Had a quick glance at the link. Of the top ten schools, three of them are from the UK. If you compare the size of the two countries and the number of colleges in each country, the UK blows the US out of the water.

Most in the top 10: US

Most int the tiop 20: US

Most in the top 50: US

Most in the top 100: US

No contest

I'm just stating fact. Not opinion.
Until it's substantiated, it's opinion.
Finland

In tertiary education, two mostly separate and non-interoperating sectors are found: the profession-oriented polytechnics and the research-oriented universities. Education is free and living expenses are to a large extent financed by the government through student benefits. There are 20 universities and 30 polytechnics in the country. Helsinki University is ranked 75th in the Top University Ranking of 2010.[71] The World Economic Forum ranks Finland's tertiary education #2 in the world.[72] Around 33% of residents have a tertiary degree, similar to Nordics and more than in most other OECD countries except Canada (44%), United States (38%) and Japan(37%).[73] The proportion of foreign students is 3% of all tertiary enrolments, one of the lowest in OECD, while in advanced programs it is 7.3%, still below OECD average 16.5%.[74]

Denmark

The Danish education system provides access to primary school, secondary school and most kinds of higher education. Attendance at "Folkeskole" or equivalent education is compulsory for a minimum of 9 years. Equivalent education could be in private schools or classes attended at home. About 99% of students attend primary school, 86% attend secondary school, and 41% pursue further education. All college education in Denmark is free; there are no tuition fees to enroll in courses. Students in secondary school or higher and aged 18 or above may apply for student support which provides fixed financial support, disbursed monthly.

Norway

Higher education in Norway is offered by a range of seven universities, five specialized colleges, 25 university colleges as well as a range of private colleges. Education follows the Bologna Process involving Bachelor (3 years), Master (2 years) and PhD (3 years) degrees.[120] Acceptance is offered after finishing upper secondary school with general study competence.
Public education is virtually free, regardless of nationality,[121] with an academic year with two semesters, from August to December and from January to June. The ultimate responsibility for the education lies with the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research.

One of the few is Australia that is similar to our current system. They are up there higher than us.

The US is pretty far down the list actually.
Link? Otherwise, this is just more opinion.

Nevertheless, all you're doing is proving that American liberals fail at educating kids.

You know, something the right has been saying for decades.

Translation,'You are right, but I will never admit it.
Worst. Translation. Ever. :lol:

Look, if you're just going to read what you want, instead of what I actually write, there's really no point in my wasting my time with you.

One reason that the education in America is worse than in other countries is people like you being unable to admit to it because you have tunnel vision. Tunnel vision is a disease in which perception is restricted by ignorance and distorted by vested interest. Tunnel vision is caused by an optic fungus that multiplies when the brain is less energetic than the ego. It is complicated by exposure to politics.
So, liberal-dominated education sucks -- and it's MY fault? :lol:

Nice try, Skippy. This one belongs to you guys.

I was saying that people like you are one of the problems. There is plenty of blame to go around, but before we start criticizing, we have to take a look at ourselves.

You are once again displaying fierce symptoms of tunnel vision.
I don't see you being very introspective. I see you claiming that you're right and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

But when you do it, I guess it's different. Somehow. It just is. :lol:

No contest

If you go by population this is not as significant. But let us forget about that.

Yes, you are right, America has many great colleges, exceptional centers of knowledge and education. Unfortunately, they do not reflect the educational system in general, or even American colleges in general. The American system of education is what is lacking, not Harvard or Yale.

So, liberal-dominated education sucks -- and it's MY fault? :lol:

Nice try, Skippy. This one belongs to you guys.

I was saying that people like you are one of the problems. There is plenty of blame to go around, but before we start criticizing, we have to take a look at ourselves.

I don't see you being very introspective. I see you claiming that you're right and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

You obviously have trouble comprehending what other people write.

Pretty murkin girs.......if there are any left then..........can " work" for the wealthy Latinos and Asians that will own the US of fallen Mpyre over the cumming decades.

You obviously have trouble comprehending what other people write.
Not at all. Perhaps you have trouble writing clearly.

Or perhaps, as is more likely, you're just full of crap.

No contest

If you go by population this is not as significant. But let us forget about that.

Yes, you are right, America has many great colleges, exceptional centers of knowledge and education. Unfortunately, they do not reflect the educational system in general, or even American colleges in general. The American system of education is what is lacking, not Harvard or Yale.

Yet another example of changing the goalposts and posting crap opinion without backing it up with anything. I have noted that both you and Nycarb have made multiple claims in this thread but at over 30 pages there has not been one single actual piece of evidence, fact or even logical argument to back your opinions. All you have posted is your word on this subject and expect it to be taken as fact.

News flash - your word is meaningless here. Post something that actually has some fact or evidence for your wild ass claims.

FREE HIGHER education would be an amazingly good stimulus policy.

It would put some people to work and it would take many people off the unemployment rolls, too.

In the longer run we'd have a more educated productive workforce, too.

But that makes too much sense.

It will never happen.

Forum List

Back