Without education, what kind of jobs will be available to young Americans?

Newt Gingrich had an interesting proposal that anyone receiving Unemployment Benefits should be going to some sort of Education classes to retrain or increase their knowledge in their field to make them more employable. That would be better thn them sitting at home doing nothing.

Newt appears to be a man with good ideas.

Yes, but use the money to completely change the system.
You don't want to change the system. You want to perpetuate it.

Who screeches the loudest at mention of education reform? The left.

You have no idea what I think about education. I teach college, and all of my post graduate work was done in education. You are just ignorant and blinded by your hatred.

Yeah, not really.

Do you feel our current system is working?

Which is where the 'liberal' schools complaint comes from. I don't think that anyone here is on the side of not educating our entire populous. Nor are they inherently against continued education. What they are against is the current clip schools are taking in reinforcing self image above actually teaching, the idea that failure is not possible anymore in today's schools, the move to photocopying students rather than teaching critical thinking skills and having little to no customization in a curriculum.

Reinforcing self image is much more important than you would believe in the development of a child.
That's the parents' job, not the government's.

That's...kind of out of the context of my point. I agree with you that we should be teaching useful workable knowledge.

They don't' do that feel good crap american schools do.
Good. And I guarantee you conservatives would have a lot less objection to Federal involvement in schools if they weren't teaching touchy-feely crap and actually preparing kids for the real world.

What are you referring to as touchy-feely crap?
Self-esteem is more important than math. There are no losers, everyone's a winner. You get a medal just for participating. We don't give Fs, because it might hurt the precious snowflake's feelings. Can't play tag at recess because it encourages bullies and one kid being "it" is unfair.

I'm frankly amazed you had to ask.

You're admitting that liberal states do better than conservative states?

lol, eureka!
No, I'm saying if you guys are so great, how come you still suck?

So you deny that liberal states are doing better than conservative states? You deny that education is better in Massachusetts than it is in Mississippi, for example?

Which is it? Do you agree or disagree?
In most of the country, education is dominated by liberals. I can understand why you're desperately trying to avoid that fact, and the fact that it's failed.

Yes, but use the money to completely change the system.
You don't want to change the system. You want to perpetuate it.

Who screeches the loudest at mention of education reform? The left.

What conservatives want to do to education is not reform, it's destruction.
Uh huh. What you refer to as "education" is really "liberal indoctrination".

That's what you're afraid of losing.

Reinforcing self image is much more important than you would believe in the development of a child.

Reinforcing self image is something that parents do. Schools teach. Also, avoiding failure is NOT reinforcing self image, it is destroying the ability to equate actions with results.

I don't send my child to school so he can 'feel' good. He goes there to learn.

My children go to a progressive school that deals with giving them self confidence, and it is amazing. My son easily overcomes a learning disability because of self confidence. My children, 8 and 11 happily will go on a bus trip from New York City to Vermont without us. Self confidence helps the student deal with school in their high school years. Any teacher will tell you this. Today, too many homes have both parents in careers, or at least working, and the children are neglected as far as training. I feel sorry for your children if they are not confident and do not feel good about themselves.
How do you feel about a school doing what you should have done as a parent?

Apparently, not suitably ashamed.

So you deny that liberal states are doing better than conservative states? You deny that education is better in Massachusetts than it is in Mississippi, for example?

Which is it? Do you agree or disagree?

You keep parroting this crap. How about schools all over the country tend to not fall along your ideological bullshit. No, liberal states are not necessarily better at education than conservative ones are and vice versa.
Ranking of Middle Schools in USA
(middle school rankings in 03 as they want you to pay for rankings for HS and newer ones)
Best High Schools for Math and Science | US News Best High Schools
(includes private schools, magnet schools and charter schools for math and science)

I am sure that you have a graph somewhere that you have been peeing your pants to post so go ahead and post it already. I don't see why you needed someone to challenge you before you post any of your proof...

The average grade attended in school is higher in blue states than red states.
And yet, oddly, more Republicans than Democrats have four-year degrees:

Fig_57_-_men_4-yr_college_degrees.JPG

Fig_58_women_with_4-yr_college_degs.JPG

Reality doesn't give a damn about your leftist talking points.

Reinforcing self image is something that parents do. Schools teach. Also, avoiding failure is NOT reinforcing self image, it is destroying the ability to equate actions with results.

My children go to a progressive school that deals with giving them self confidence, and it is amazing. My son easily overcomes a learning disability because of self confidence. My children, 8 and 11 happily will go on a bus trip from New York City to Vermont without us. Self confidence helps the student deal with school in their high school years. Any teacher will tell you this. Today, too many homes have both parents in careers, or at least working, and the children are neglected as far as training. I feel sorry for your children if they are not confident and do not feel good about themselves.

It is done both at school and at home. You argue with success because your hatred clouds your vision. You are just anti anything liberal, and thus not to be taken seriously.

It is done both at school and at home.]

School is not the place for it, home is.

Nutrition and dietary training should be taught at home, but look at how many obese American children there are. Discipline should be taught at home, but look at all of the disciplinary problems there are in American schools. Your point is a bad one, only used for a cheap insult. You constantly let yourself down because of your hatred.

It is done both at school and at home.]

School is not the place for it, home is.

If certain things were taught at home, there would not be as much need for them to be taught in school, See my above post to Dave. A lot of the failure in American education comes from the parents.

It is done both at school and at home. You argue with success because your hatred clouds your vision. You are just anti anything liberal, and thus not to be taken seriously.
"Success"? You call our current system successful?

Thanks for proving my point: Education is not synonymous with intelligent. :clap2:

Still no evidence of anything that has been claimed here by the lefts. We are waiting...

Leftists don't do evidence. Their belief is sufficient.

Normal people, however, require a bit more.

I am giving you firsthand evidence as an educator. How many of your opinions are based on knowledge?
You are giving opinion that may or may not be based on reality.

In other words, you're insisting it's true because you say so.

Not impressed.

Again, you prove my point: Your belief is sufficient.

But don't expect me to fall for it.

Maybe you should read my signature. It applies to you.

Forum List

Back